Chinese subtitles for movies

[quote=“hannes”] OK, got the movie (mp4 file), got the subtitles (srt file), got the player (VLC and BSPlayer, and some others).

Now, the movie plays fine and the players find the Chinese subtitles, but… those are all scrambled up.

I use English XP and have Office XP Tool: Global IME (Traditional Chinese) installed.

Why can’t the player display the Chinese characters correctly?

Any solution?[/quote]

DVD with pinyin option. That is what we need. Lets complain to somebody or something.

How exactly does this site work. I’m a bit baffled.

I went to the site to download the BS Player, but when I read the comments, other users complained about spyware and adaware etc. Did you have any problems with that, or did you get the Pro Version?

VLC player is the best IMHO…
dont need anything else, if u want a good video player… It plays virtually any video format.
Only thing else u might want to get is either the “ace mega codec, or Klite codec” So u have a all in one codec for mp4, avi, mpeg, mkv, and flv (youtube) formats. you just select the file u want, and the program will automatically find the right codec, and decode the video format for you.

Ok, I found that www.shooter.cn will give you the subtitles to anything. Which is great…but they don’t line up right with the downloads. For example I’ll make sure the first subtitle will line up correctly. And if the first one is right…then the rest should follow, right? Wrong. The subs will be fine for a bit…but bit by bit they will move away from the speaking. And then after a few minutes the subs and speaking are no longer synched.

This makes no sense to me because the movie is the same length no matter what format it originates from…so why do the subs not work.

You’ll actually see at shooter.cn that it gives many different options for the sub files…and you’re supposed to find the one that matches the exact download that you have.

But why? If the movie is 2hrs 3min and 5sec long…what should it matter which subs you use…especially if you manually line up the first one. Odd.

Mordeth, *.srt subs are synced as 23.976FPS (frames per second) or 25FPS depending on your movie format. If the sub and movie FPS’ do not match, you will have out of sync issue as the movie plays.

Use “Subtitle Tools” to change the speed of your subs or/and other corrections.

Can someone help me understand why my subtitles dont seem to show up. I have tried a couple different players, a couple different subtitles files, and there is still no success. How do i get my computer, or the player to recognize the chinese? Please help.

So true. I wonder if it’s because so much of it is done illegally, therefore no quality control.

Before “Milk” was released in Taiwan, I saw a bootleg copy from China with some friends. There was a scene where Sean Penn was speaking to a crowd over a megaphone and he said: I know you’re angry… I’M angry… The Chinese subtitles said: I know you’re HUNGRY… I’M HUNGRY
:roflmao:

So true. I wonder if it’s because so much of it is done illegally, therefore no quality control.

Before “Milk” was released in Taiwan, I saw a bootleg copy from China with some friends. There was a scene where Sean Penn was speaking to a crowd over a megaphone and he said: I know you’re angry… I’m angry… The Chinese subtitles said: I know you’re HUNGRY… I’m HUNGRY
:roflmao:[/quote]

Actually, I disagree completely. I’ve been amazed by the quality of some of the translations I’ve seen. Sometimes, there’ll be a very occasional error or double entendre missed that I’ll have to pause and explain to my gf. But often I find that the translators know more about the source material than I do. For instance, the Mad Men subtitles I’ve seen have even include explanations in parenthesis about the references to early 60s TV shows and movies that I had never heard of before. (Unfortunately, that sort of translation takes time; I haven’t seen the latest season finale because I’m still waiting for the subtitles to be published.) Another example is Spartacus: Blood and Sand, which was (as far as I could tell) translated very accurately into wenyanwen-esque Chinese while maintaining most of the flavor of the profanity. Hell, someone even translated the first season of The Wire, and even with all of the ebonics and cop jargon, I couldn’t spot a single error.

Now if only they’d translate Deadwood with this sort of accuracy, I’d probably have a spontaneous linguistic orgasm.

In some cases translators are given a script that contains accurate notes explaining cultural references and the context for some of the jokes. That was the case more than ten years ago when my wife did the subtitles for a movie shown on HBO. These days translators are probably given e-files and let software handle part of the task. But back then all she had was a hard copy.

She ended up with one of the talkiest movies this side of Spalding Gray and decided that NT$4000 certainly wasn’t enough to deal again with the aggravation of nonstop, purposely banal dialog. So she never did another movie for them. A lot of fun to watch, not so fun to work on.

1. Download and install NJStar’s Chinese Word Processor (NJStar Chinese WP).
  2. Open the subtitles with Notepad and copy all the text (CTRL+A, CTRL+C) and then paste it (CTRL+V) into NJ Star’s Chinese Word Processor.
  3. Make sure NJStar’s Chinese Word Processor is set to Chinese Traditional (it’s in one of the main drop down menus)
  4. Copy all the text in NJStar Chinese Word Processor (CTRL+A, CTRL+C) and then paste it (CTRL+V) into notepad.
  5. Have notepad save it as “All Files” and “UTF-8” and NOT “ANSI.”

Saving it in ANSI is what causes a lot of problems with subtitles appearing incorrectly on Non-Chinese versions of Windows.

Hey guys.

So I found another website that has many great subtitles on it, and normally with Simplified, English and Traditional all in one pack! Generally speaking, they are more reliable than shooter.cn, and you can download the subtitle pack that matches your release (ORENJI, DIMENSION… etc… I normally find the subs first and download the corresponding video file).

The site is - yyets.com

On the off chance you find that they don’t have the traditional subs, there is a very easy way to convert from simplified to traditional using this page - chinese-tools.com/tools/conv … ptrad.html

No need to download software for the above solution, and it’s pretty much a 1:1 conversion (wife says it’s pretty spot on, and then it’s only really the original translation quality that makes a difference).

Hope this helps some of you.

Chinese subtitle website: www.zimuzu.tv [as of November 2017]

I’m providing an offline, windows .exe that instantly converts Chinese Simplified
to Chinese Traditional. download:
https://ufile.io/ct60i
PM me if this link fails in the future.

Yes, it’s an .exe, so make sure you trust the sender (me) or check comments
that, yes, it does what it’s supposed to do. It is / I am not malicious.

before running:
tell windows to always use Notepad to open extention .SRT

Usage:
move “instant.big5.gb.unicode.converter.exe” to anywhere; it’s portable.
double-click it / run. it’s in the tray. (usually hidden.)
optional: tell Windows to always show it in the tray, not hidden.
open .srt file, with Notepad, that’s Simplified.
put cursor at beginning.
CTRL-DOWN (text will highlight and fix)
save file. it’s now Traditional.

Exit program macro:
find in the tray by the clock
right-click, sub-menu drop-downs
3rd choice down from 4 choices

if your .srt is incorrect coding (it looks like garbage characters),
this program will NOT fix it, and you may have overwritten a decent file
with the new incorrect garbage characters. (irreversible - need to re-download .srt).

garbage fix:

download, install NotePad++ (freeware: google it.)
copy your problem file, in the same folder (CTRL-C then CTRL-V) so you’ll have:
moviename.srt AND moviename - (Copy).srt
open moviename.srt in Notepad, not Notepad++
right-click, open the moviename -(Copy).srt with NotePad++, but not ‘always’ to explorer.
Notepad’s moviename.srt: Ctrl-A to highlight, Del to blank it out.
Notepad++'s moviename-(Copy).srt: Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C to copy.
Notepad’s moviename.srt: Ctrl-V to paste in.
convert to Traditional using method outlined earlier. not sure? you can’t overkill convert.
exit Notepad, Yes to save.
exit Notepad++
DELETE the file moviename -(Copy).srt

you will find MUCH better reading/font compatibility with VLC, KMplayer,
Android players, MXplayer, etc etc.

‘garbage’ fix, missing step:
to exit Notepad, SAVE AS, not save.
select Unicode as encoding, not UTF-8. Yes for overwrite.
sorry I forgot this crucial step.

www.zimuku.cn

up and working - December 2017.