Chinese/Taiwanese oblivious to pedestrians

I agree in deed: Taiwan would be probably a very nice place to be if the Japanese would have stayed…

For sure it is a also a pedestrian’s effort not to walk around like a blind chicken, in his/her very own interest. But this is besides the point: fact is that almost all the time drivers here ignore pedestrian’s right of way. They don’t even care to look… just plow across the zebra crossing which shows green light for pedestrians. Even if a pedestrian has NO right of way drivers have the responsibility to keep their guard up and stop if required. If a driver does not compute that he/she has the duty to stop BECAUSE a car is on the “stronger” side, then that driver should have never received a license at the first place.

I do not know about the requirements to get a drivers license in the US or in Taiwan… but where I’m coming from (Switzerland) safety - especially in the context of other road users - is an essential part of the training and you will ALWAYS be in trouble if you hit a pedestrian - no matter who had right of way.

But beyond all training: it should be common sense not to drive like an egoistic maniac. Again: the behavior of the majority of locals here in traffic speaks for itself: lack of training, lack of maturity, self-centered “me-first-attitude”, lack of common sense. And all this is tolerated by authorities who could not care less because they are too of the same kind.

I hate those selfish bastards on the MRT escalator that stand on the left side when people need to pass.

They should be publicly flogged.

[quote=“european”]I hate those selfish bastards on the MRT escalator that stand on the left side when people need to pass.

They should be publicly flogged.[/quote]
Just say sorry and lightly push past them forcing them to move right. Works for me.

This has become an issue for me since I became a dad 20 months ago; the selfish, lazy assholes who crowd into the elevators in department stores leaving no space for the people who actually have to use it because they have strollers, are in wheelchairs, etc. The goddamn escalator will take you where you want to go and you are quite capable of taking it. Leave the elevators for the people who need them more.

During my lunchbreak I often rush off to far-away restaurants to get what I need, so time is of the essence. But on the sidewalk along the way, there are are always people walking 2-3-or-4 abrest who work for the same company who block the whole width of the sidewalk. It happens basically every day. They gossip to each other and walk at a foot-dragging pace. Sometimes “jie guo” works, sometimes it doesn’t. Loud foot stomping does work. Just do your loudest bigfoot footstomp. You’ll be amazed how effective it is. I think they just cannot help but turn around instinctively when they hear the loud banging/clomping sound.

What bothers me even more is this; I explained this footpath-cockblocking thing to all my Taiwanese coworkers and they all looked at me like I was speaking ancient Hebrew. They didn’t understand. They told me that no, they haven’t noticed that and they don’t know what I’m talking about. This is really the essence of it folks. Your average Mr. Wang doesn’t care. It is only us, we, the outsiders, who care and get annoyed. So it’s better to go with the flow than get angry and bothered. But do practice your best foot stomping to clear the way.

I think I saw a news report saying escalators are being worn down because TW people are lazy as fuck and by standing on the right side of the escalator, it causes damages to the belt or something. So they suggested everyone should be able to stand in the middle or left. Add that to the list of dumbest reporting every. I say fuck the lightly pushing when people stand on the left. If you have a bag or backpack, use that to plow through them. But if I can tell they are tourists, I’ll be more polite than normal. BUT it all goes back to being oblivious to shit. Because as soon as they see you behind them trying to walk down, they quickly move out of the way.

As for the blocking the sidewalk because friends/coworkers are walking shoulder to shoulder, I concur with the loud stomping or a nice little tap to one of their ankles helps.

As for the escalators, I avoid that shit like the plague during weekends at the mall.

[quote=“Robotea”]I think I saw a news report saying escalators are being worn down because TW people are lazy as fuck and by standing on the right side of the escalator, it causes damages to the belt or something. So they suggested everyone should be able to stand in the middle or left. Add that to the list of dumbest reporting every. I say fuck the lightly pushing when people stand on the left. If you have a bag or backpack, use that to plow through them. But if I can tell they are tourists, I’ll be more polite than normal. BUT it all goes back to being oblivious to shit. Because as soon as they see you behind them trying to walk down, they quickly move out of the way.

As for the blocking the sidewalk because friends/coworkers are walking shoulder to shoulder, I concur with the loud stomping or a nice little tap to one of their ankles helps.

As for the escalators, I avoid that shit like the plague during weekends at the mall.[/quote]

On weekends, I most definitely stand on the left. I hope one day you try to “plow” through me. I’ll sort out your aggression problems in one fell swoop

yeah sure buddy.

If escalators are packed say during weekends at the mall I obviously don’t act like a jackass. I’m referring to those off peak hours.

I agree in deed: Taiwan would be probably a very nice place to be if the Japanese would have stayed…[/quote]

I’ve been to Japan 4-5 times and each time I admire how much respect they have for one another. I remember one time after an earthquake there, they showed the relief line and everyone was standing in line patiently. Must find a job there…

I agree in deed: Taiwan would be probably a very nice place to be if the Japanese would have stayed…[/quote]

I’ve been to Japan 4-5 times and each time I admire how much respect they have for one another. I remember one time after an earthquake there, they showed the relief line and everyone was standing in line patiently. Must find a job there…[/quote]

Yes, I fully agree. Japan is my favorite place as well. It just points out once more to what extend the majority of people are degraded over here. I firmly believe in my above statement: the Japanese should have stayed.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]http://news.tvbs.com.tw/local/news-615520/

It happened pretty much like you said. Fortunately, the Korean lady didn’t die, only broke her leg and the baby’s face was scraped. The taxi hit both the woman and the baby, the baby being thrown out of the buggy. Then a car passed and didn’t stop, and finally the bus came along and drove over the woman. Some workmen were there and able to lift the bus off of her very quickly.[/quote]

Found it on the AppleDailyEnglish youtube channel. Seems like a pretty weak fine for the taxi driver!!

Dexing Road where she was crossing onto Wenlin Road is a death-trap. It connects to the Tamshui bike path nearby. I used to love that ride, but I gave up trying to fight through the traffic on the way back. Decided it wasn’t worth it after a few too many close calls. Guess, I was right. Especially if this report is correct and the taxi shit-head would only need to pay a fine of $2000NT after barreling into me and then attempting to drive away.

When the mainlanders arrive in full-force in another decade or so they are going to need to up-armor those UBikes.

holy shit the fine was only NT2000!?

Speechless, angry, sad. Unfortunately not an isolated case in Taiwan and China, many times life is lost. What does it take to become such an idiotic dim-witted, anencephalic asshole like the involved drivers? NTD 2’000 fine? But no better is a system that approves a fine of NTD 2k for this - a slap in the face of the victims. Again: the Japanese should have stayed.

Not sure if that will fix the problem. More like building a second Chinese wall but this time all around Taiwan and put a cover on top.

Says they can file a civil suit, but I don’t know if they will give any money since the victim was not Taiwanese.

Says they can file a civil suit, but I don’t know if they will give any money since the victim was not Taiwanese.[/quote]

So if you are a Taiwanese in Taiwan you have the license to kill for TWD 2k…? If that lady was my wife I would have destroyed that taxi and bus driver - by all means.

Says they can file a civil suit, but I don’t know if they will give any money since the victim was not Taiwanese.[/quote]

So if you are a Taiwanese in Taiwan you have the license to kill for TWD 2k…? If that lady was my wife I would have destroyed that taxi and bus driver - by all means.[/quote]

That’s why I’m wondering why we don’t see more revenge/vendetta stories here, knowing that the fines are insignificant.

I would too go full berserk on all those drivers if that was my wife…

I always thought you are threatened with jail if you flee from an accident? Or is that only with two vehicles?