Chivalry in Taiwan

Zing :laughing:

This is why they were going Dutch with you; if they were 19 then they wouldn’t have objected to you paying.

1 Like

If that 19-year-old girl is dating a boy close to her age, she will probably not expect him to pay for her bill.
As a matter of fact, if a woman is really into a man, not into his money, she will even pay the man’s bill.
I’ve seen so many couples of this kind. Not very common but they’re there.

If a woman is dating a man who is older than she is, she for sure will expect the man to pay her bill, because that’s exactly the main reason why she’s with him.

So, if being an ATM or provider is the main reason why a woman is with a man, then it sucks as hell. I’m not buying that. And this is probably why I don’t have any Taiwanese / ethnic Chinese girlfriends, because traditionally, ethnic Chinese women expect men to be a full functional ATM and provider of all aspects.

1 Like

And here in Taiwan men carry their wives/gfs purse for the same reason.

Apologize for the offensive post. Meant to say that stingy men don’t fair well in the single dating scene. Be generous and you will be rewarded. It’s better to give than receive. Relationship is an investment after all.

Your whole post reads like an advertisement sponsored by the Gold Diggers Union Local No. 888. I’m as cheap as they come, and I’ve never had any trouble getting laid, date or no date. Your logic is basically saying that all women are call girls (and that’s putting it nicely). If I were a woman I’d be quite offended.

he seems to be channeling Winston Wu. Wonder what happened to him?

Apologize for the offensive post. Meant to say that stingy men don’t fair well in the single dating scene. Be generous and you will be rewarded. It’s better to give than receive. Relationship is an investment after all.

Question is, though, do you want to be shackled to a woman who views every interaction through a money-shaped lens? Sure money is important, and it’s occasionally fun to spend a shitload of cash on doing something out-of-the-ordinary. However I’m not convinced that one should do this in order to buy someone’s affections (or attempt to).

1 Like

Don’t apologize to me, I’m a dude. :slight_smile:[quote=“lotus425, post:28, topic:160769”]
Meant to say that stingy men don’t fair well in the single dating scene. Be generous and you will be rewarded. It’s better to give than receive. Relationship is an investment after all.
[/quote]

This runs completely counter to my personal experience. Your mileage may vary. I think attitude is much more important. If you have that super-materialistic mindset about relationships, you’re bound to attract women with similar thinking. A relationship is indeed an investment, but money need only be a small part of it, or not at all.

Agree with the cow doctor.

In my experience, it really didn’t come down to money. Of course you have to spend money on dates and the girl, but what do you plan on doing if you don’t spend money? Look into each other’s eyes at the park? Trust me, that’s not where you parked your car.

Gf’s roommate, is one of those materialistic girls and I feel so bad for her boyfriend. I’ve met him a few times and he’s no suave shuai ge, but a nice guy. You definitely see that gf’s roommate settled for his money. She blatantly told the gf that if they ever got married and he went off and got a mistress, she’d care less as long as he continued to pay for her things.

One of my coworkers doesn’t have access to his own bank account. His wife changed the PIN and any other access codes.

[quote=“ranlee, post:31, topic:160769, full:true”]

In my experience, it really didn’t come down to money. Of course you have to spend money on dates and the girl, but what do you plan on doing if you don’t spend money? Look into each other’s eyes at the park?[/quote]

Well, actually why not?

I think the idea here should be refined to convey that, yes, you have to spend a lot of dough if you want to get on with a lady who cares a lot about spending a lot of dough.

There’s nothing wrong with looking into each other’s eyes in the park if you want to get on with a lady who likes looking into each other’s eyes in the park.

Duh.

FWIW, Me and Mrs Rocket’s first date was exactly that, hanging out at the Botanicular Gardens. Seems to have worked out well.

The Mrs also has two best friends, one of whom (a clever, accomplished, and pretty darn good looking woman), despite a slue of suitors, married a perfectly nice guy who was, well, not particularly attractive, shall we say, in any conventional sense of the word (think along the lines of a Taiwanese Patton Oswalt without the wit, intellect, or charm), but whose family happened to be stinking fucking rich.
According to the Mrs, the lady at the time straight up told her and the other friend:

“You can marry handsome, or you can marry money, you have to choose”

Of course, when this was related to me, I had to ask the Mrs how the deal was working out for her, since I sure as shit ain’t got any dough…:howyoudoin:

3 Likes

You got her number? XD

You think that’s a bad thing? Guys, Asian guys know what’s really up and have for a long time. He gets to have his cake and eat it too.

Money is a big part of any serious relationship here, whether you like it or not; why do you think many guys here give their salary to their wife and get an allowance in return? Never mind bride prices and wives being able to squeeze water out of a rock, thanks to the terrible wages and extortionate housing prices.

Now, some girls are more high-maintenance than others, but they all require maintenance (unless you’ve found yourself a sugar mama).

One of my favorite places to takes dates was the public graves off of 崇德路. Up in hills with a great view, the place is romantic, atmospheric and completely free. It also has the added advantage of making your date want to snuggle up close. That place is one of the best aphrodisiacs I know. This isn’t just a crazy foreigner thing either. Lots of smart local guys take their dates up there too.

its something you can observe a lot here. i think a lot of those guys are mugging themselves though. i saw one in a friends photos. quite a fat short dude with a very hot gf. i asked what was up, and yea he is the BF(who pays everything for her) but she is cheating on the side with a better looking guy.

Listen, I never said that, in the decades since they emigrated with their kids to Canada, where they own a fucking grossly expensive home, that the friend comes back to Taiwan every couple of years on her own and, in addition to seeing family, gets the chance to “catch up” with some old acquaintances. Old guy-type acquaintances. Old handsome guy-type acquaintances.

I never said that.:whistle:

Absolutely nothing wrong with staring into each other’s eyes at the park, if you’re into that sorta thing.

First date with the gf was dinner, so of course, money was spent. The day that the gf and I got together was at the Fisherman’s Wharf in Danshui. No money spent, just some sounds of water hitting the boardwalk and some music from the restaurants behind us.

It’s really a horrible way to put it and I hate it, but it’s true.

Maybe triangle faced monkey was just her type.

This is both hilarious and sad:

A pic…

1 Like

Hahaha that $200 is a cracker. A++ would read again.

Oh lord…