Cholesterol too low!

Man, I tell ya. You just can’t win :loco:

I got the results from my work health check the other day and a couple of things came up. One was a lack of calcium, (due to my not drinking milk here I reckon).

Anyway, the bizarre thing was that my cholesterol was too LOW! How does THAT work? I was told I should watch my diet more closely :s

Any advice?

You can have some of mine.

Thanks man. You’re a true pal. :wink:

[quote=“irishstu”]Anyway, the bizarre thing was that my cholesterol was too LOW! How does THAT work? I was told I should watch my diet more closely :s

Any advice?[/quote]
Seems like you should be the one giving advice! What’s your diet like? Are you a vegan?

HDL & LDL

They should have explained more.

loweringcholesterol.net/show … holesterol

HDL is good. LDL is bad.

Thanks a lot for that link ironman, very edumacational.
So there’s two types and my good one is too low. The bad one seems to be in check, BTW.

I guess my question now is how can I get my good cholesterol up?

By the way Chris, I’m the extreme opposite of a vegan. I eat crap like you wouldn’t believe. Far too much McD’s and BK. I just have a fast metabolism so I get away with it (so far…).

[quote=“Ironman”]HDL & LDL

They should have explained more.

loweringcholesterol.net/show … holesterol

HDL is good. LDL is bad.[/quote]

So, it is your “good” cholesterol - the HDL or High Density Lipids - that are too low. You can never have total cholesterol or LDL cholesterol that is too low (unless you have none) - the lower the better.

[quote]Q: What would cause a decline in HDL levels over a five year period?
A: HDL levels are effected by mainly by exercise and genetics. Increasing exercise increases HDL levels and decreased exercise lowers HDL levels.

Q: Is there anything that has been known to increase HDL?
A: Exercise has been shown to increase HDL levels as has small quantities (1/2 glass) of daily red wine. Niacin is the best drug therapy to increase HDL but it must be taken in sufficient quantities (i.e. 2- 4 grams per day) to have an effect.

Q: How serious at risk factor for heart attack/stroke is a low HDL?
A: In recent years it has been recognized that a low HDL is a more serious risk factor than was previously thought. The current recommendations is that a low HDL be aggressively treated to reduce the risk for heart attack.

Further information can be found at the site below:

http://www.amhrt.org/Heart_and_Stroke_A_Z_Guide/chol.html[/quote]

I admit that my exercise had fallen by the wayside since I came over here almost two years ago. However, since the health check this has changed. It’ll be interesting to see what the next healthcheck says.

So from what I understand, if exercise increases HDL, then it either creates it or converts bad cholesterol. Would this be right? Therefore, it’s not a case of food having HDL.

[quote=“irishstu”]I admit that my exercise had fallen by the wayside since I came over here almost two years ago. However, since the health check this has changed. It’ll be interesting to see what the next healthcheck says.

So from what I understand, if exercise increases HDL, then it either creates it or converts bad cholesterol. Would this be right? Therefore, it’s not a case of food having HDL.[/quote]

Ahh. . . now you’re talking physiology and biochemistry - not my strong points at all. If I remember, the liver makes HDL and LDL, and cholesterol in general. Exercise must induce the liver to make more HDL, don’t hold me to this. I’ll have to read up and get back to you.

Bodo

try to stay away from medicine, that’ll mess you up worse than anything. If something is wrong, something is missing. Drink lots of water, and make sure it’s good water, not filtered too much, or it’ll do nothing for you. Mineral water is best, and of course, don’t drink tap water. Don’t eat white bread, it’s aweful for your body, exercise and do a cleanse, that’ll help every aspect of your health.