Christmas trees

How should Christmas trees be decorated?

• Colourfully (especially red) with multicoloured lights
  • All silver (or maybe gold), with white lights

0 voters

Help me settle an argument with my wife :smiley:

I say Christmas trees shoudl be decorated colourfully, especially with red and should have multicoloured lights.

She says they should be like those ones you see in department stores here. All silver decorations with white lights.

I say “sod off, those are fucking repulsive”

She says “coloured lights are ‘song’ - do we want our Chirstmas tree to look like a bin lang stall”

I say “what the fuck do Taiwanese know about Christmas - it’s a western holiday - I dont’ tell you what colour your fucking hongbaos should be do I?”

She says “It’s not just Taiwanese, those Japanese trees look really great”

I say “right, they’re Japanese too, they also know shit, anyway I thought you hated Taiwanese copying Japanese culture”

Etc etc.

This happens every year.

Brian

she’s right. this is taiwan. and hong baos can be green overseas.

You should be thankful the tree is green. It could be a lot worse…

The best looking trees are the metallic purple ones with giant blue balls and blue lights. Or the silver trees with revolving colour wheels, so the trees change colour.

Tell your wife that XMAS is supposed to be SPP, or KITCH~!

I mean, unless you’re in the west and have a REAL fir tree with lovely antique ornaments and such.

Last year my fake tree had real flowers all over it. I do that sometimes because those mum types and baby’s breath flowers stay fresh for ages. Actually, nothing nausseates me more than a standard old Xmas tree with cheap ticky tacky crappy ornaments, all of uniform size and made in China. YUK

If you watch Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer it says to use silver and gold. Silver and Gold.

A tree should be decorated according to the aesthetic sensibilities of the decorator. I’ve seen ‘one color’ trees that look pretty. Mine has lots of color, but I try not to overload the tree with lights and decorations. I have some left over.

A lot of people I know in the States have been using the same decorations for so long that they are becoming antiques.

I’m curios, is your tree real?

My tree is real. It’s made out of green plastic and wire.

Bu Lai En

I agree with you, they are typically muticolored and look more beautiful and Christmasy this way.

We hang Hsinchu fish balls from our tree, and suspend betel nuts from the branches, with a dancing betel nut beauty doll on the top twirling around. kitsch, yes. love it. my GF is in seventh heaven. she thinks she has reinvented Xmas. I told her all she did was to rejig it.

F.

[quote=“formosa”]We hang Hsinchu (Xinzhu) fish balls from our tree, and suspend betel nuts from the branches…[/quote]I hope you eat the fish balls when it comes to taking the tree down. Waste not want not.

I actually would pick parts of both of your answer. I think Christmas trees look great when they are colorfully decorated, with the exception of the lights. I love just white lights on a tree. They can be the steady kind, which I prefer, or the blinking kind. Though, if they blink they should blink as randomly as possible so as not to have one whole section of the tree dark at one time. They should also not, I repeat not, blink in time to music.

I think, on the whole, most trees here in Taiwan are hideous – especially those silver or white trees (and I’m not talking about the decorations). Also, most people here don’t understand the idea of decorating the entire tree or making sure the decorations are put on the tree nicely. They seem to just throw the tinsel/garland on and place the ornaments wherever. And, I can’t stand those big, plastic, silver or gold “Merry Christmas” signs everyone seems to include on their trees.

Many of the trees look like an elf or reindeer threw up on them. :shock: What they need is a nice gay man with a sense of style… or one of these nice new metrosexual-type-people. :smiley:

Just my oh-so-humble opinion, of course. :sunglasses:

quietmountain, you are so WEstern centric. : "I think, on the whole, most trees here in Taiwan are hideous – especially those silver or white trees (and I’m not talking about the decorations). Also, most people here don’t understand the idea of decorating the entire tree or making sure the decorations are put on the tree nicely. They seem to just throw the tinsel/garland on and place the ornaments wherever. And, I can’t stand those big, plastic, silver or gold “Merry Christmas” signs everyone seems to include on their trees. "

Come on, QM, give the people you live among a break. See life from their POV. They do Xmas the way the do it because they are not Xmas people, and they do not carry Xmas DNA. cut them some slack. instead of seeing their trees here as HIDEOUS, why not see them as kitchsch and kute?

Of course, that’s your POV, and you are entiteld to it. just seems funny to me for a gay man, who has experienced many prejudices himself my guess, and you still hold and weirld prejudices against other cultures for not being like yu! That’s just what straits do to gays?

I guess what this means is thesexual orientation has Nothing to do with sense of prejudice or openmindedness. Just proves another point on another thread: being gay doesnt really mean antyhing, one way or the other. You are as prejudiced toward ASian cultures as anyone else. Which makes sense. since our sexual selves are NOT connected to our thinking/feeling/perception selves.

[quote=“formosa”]quietmountain, you are so WEstern centric. : "I think, on the whole, most trees here in Taiwan are hideous – especially those silver or white trees (and I’m not talking about the decorations). Also, most people here don’t understand the idea of decorating the entire tree or making sure the decorations are put on the tree nicely. They seem to just throw the tinsel/garland on and place the ornaments wherever. And, I can’t stand those big, plastic, silver or gold “Merry Christmas” signs everyone seems to include on their trees. "

Come on, QM, give the people you live among a break. See life from their POV. They do Xmas the way the do it because they are not Xmas people, and they do not carry Xmas DNA. cut them some slack. instead of seeing their trees here as HIDEOUS, why not see them as kitchsch and kute?

Of course, that’s your POV, and you are entiteld to it. just seems funny to me for a gay man, who has experienced many prejudices himself my guess, and you still hold and weirld prejudices against other cultures for not being like yu! That’s just what straits do to gays?

I guess what this means is thesexual orientation has Nothing to do with sense of prejudice or openmindedness. Just proves another point on another thread: being gay doesnt really mean antyhing, one way or the other. You are as prejudiced toward Asian cultures as anyone else. Which makes sense. since our sexual selves are NOT connected to our thinking/feeling/perception selves.[/quote]

Formosa,

What the FUCK are you talking about? Do you just pull this stuff out of your ass? Or do you actually think about the inane drivel that you spout before you regurgitate it up out of your brain… which, apparently reside somewhere below your belt (possibly in your ass). :?

Just because I don’t like the way people decorate the trees here doesn’t mean I’m prejudiced against Asians. I was stating an opinion that I think most of the trees here are hideous. And, no, they aren’t cute or kitsch (please note the correct spellings of those words). As a matter of fact, there are a lot of people in the US that I think have ugly Christmas trees/decorations, too. So, now are you going to claim that I’m prejudice against Americans? :unamused:

As for being Western-centric… of course I am. Whether we want to admit it or not, all of us are to some degree. No matter how open minded we claim to be, there are going to be things that we feel our country/culture does better than a foreign culture we visit or live in. The point is to recognize that we have this “centrism” in ourselves and what aspects of our beliefs, behaviours, etc… are based on that centrism, not letting it rule us.

I think, Formosa, you need to remember a little statement (paraphrased here for your convenience) – It is better for you to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt! It is obvious, from the majority of your posts, that you are a shallow-minded, trouble-maker who basks in the “glow” of his own faux-superiority. Get a real life!!!

Not sure whether to bother with my Christmas Tree this year . Anyone got there tree up yet ?

1 Like

Well, I put up the ol Christmas stockings at the office and the Hello Kitty tree -which has seen better days and is begging for retirement.

At home I need a through cleaning and a concrete plan - maybe a concrete tree that the cats will not sabotage. I am thinking another sticker tree.

Did anyone here buy the snowmen lights from Costco? Mine do not light this year, they are several years old, and supposedly solar powered.

I am not great at the decorations side of things :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Even worse at taking pictures it seems. :wink:

Well at least you have a proper tree.

Sorry , not good picture.Also , when i copy/paste an image, it seems to double up for some reason ?

1 Like

That is a good lookin tree!