Church draws visitors with Mary statue, Where?

Where is this in Chaiyi county?

http://www.chiayicath.org.tw/parish.aspx?PARISHID=0017

Our Lady of China Sanctuary

Chinese version of the article:

In Taiwan, especially in the South, they have beautiful Catholics relics and artifacts, including the ones showing syncretism, dating from the Spanish missionaries on. Some favorites of mine:

The Chinese Last Supper, in Yanshui

The Chinese Virgin Mary, in Tianmu

And the Wanchin Basilica, built like a Spanish fort

4 Likes

This I have to see.

Goodness,I wonder what portrayal will be next ? Mind you we have to remember that most of the original paintings were for the Catholic audience at the time but…

2 Likes

The Last Supper has practically and literally become a meme.

You are right, Icon . It seems so wrong to portray a “chinese” style Last Supper but i suppose
some have diffferent ways of seeing it all. It does bring me back to Ricky Gervais and his viewpoint.

Blasphemy!

Oh no. I was not talking about the Chinese style one, but rather the Star Wars. I love the Chinese style Last Supper as an example, as I pointed out, of Taiwanese style syncretism in religion. It also tells me they have embraced this idea of Christianity into their own culture and express it their own way.

It is interesting though that such an artistic work as Leonardo’s Last Supper becomes so entrenched and placed high in a religious pedestal. Like Dante`s Divine Comedy, the artistic invention became canon.

Hence, now that it has become a meme in Western culture, it is debatable.

Oh dear ! Now you are being silly :grinning:
But I found you a new avatar :yum:

I drove to Meishan Township (梅山) but they were locked up. The area is betel nut rich.

20180118_102038