CKS declared "death of the ROC"?

Is anyone familiar with the quotation he’s referring to?

Sounds bogus. Probably some rhetorical comment he made at some particularly depressing juncture.

1 Like

Does that look like a good source to you? :slight_smile:

CKS would NEVER admit such a thing. It would have meant the end of his illegitimate and thuggish regime on Taiwan.

Guy

Not a comment, but a part of his re-inaugural speech. On March 13, 1950, in a speech titled “The purpose and goals of my re-inauguration” (復職的使命與目的), CKS said:

“Our ROC has ceased to exist last year along with the fall of mainland! Today, we are all people without a state.”
(我們的中華民國到去年終就隨大陸淪陷而已經滅亡了!我們今天都已成了亡國之民…)

2 Likes

Forgive me for my ignorance, since I’m still learning about Taiwan Political history. But as an outside observer trying to understand something thats starting to look obvious to me.

If the ROC government had changed its name to Taiwan and disavowed any claim over China back in the 1960s. perhaps PR China would not claim Taiwan as part of its own today?

Is Chinas claim over Taiwan the result of the ROC’s strict claim to China in the past? Or would China still claim Taiwan regardless today?

China would be happy if Taiwan stopped claiming itself to be China, especially before they replaced Taiwan in the UN and established formal relations with the US.

After establishing formal relations with the US, China changed its tone regarding Taiwan. They have switched from a self-preservation mentality to a expansionist mentality. China needs Taiwan in order to become a dominant power in the pacific region.

1 Like

Cool thanks

Right up until the mid-80s this would have been the case. Until glasnost/kaifang China wouldn’t have cared less about a name change and desinicization of Taiwan. The reason Beijing is so obsessed with it now is because its a way to divert attention from other issues. Orwell in 1984 brilliantly captures this mode of operation of totalitarian states with the changing state of war and alliance between Oceania, Eurasia and East Asia. In point of fact the status of Taiwan is completely unimportant in a geopolitical sense.

“Taiwan is an unalienable part of the Motherland, Taiwan has always been part of China”. Goes without saying the statement is complete codswallop.

2 Likes

If that happened at that time or sooner, Taiwan would have stood a chance against a Chinese attack to “liberate” Taiwan.

There are grumblings about a covert attempt to overthrow the Chiangs and set up an independent nation of Taiwan.

They have the Philippines, now. They can let TW go now.