Coming to Taipei to teach for 3 or 4 months - worth it?

I studied Chinese in Taipei from for six months beginning last September and have now returned home where I have applied for a masters however I have time to kill until it begins in September and need to make some money. Would it be worth while and cost-effective to come back to Taipei and do a summer camp job?

Of course, why not come for 3-4 months?
The only problem is finding an employer to hire you for those 3-4 months. You have some work cut out for you to do this, considering it’s already April. You’ll have to find those summer camps (google or search in this website, as there are a few) yourself.

Your benefits to coming: You’ll improve your Chinese and have a really great time. I’d recommend any place starting from Taichung and south to Kaohsiung in order to save the most amount of money.

Good luck! You can always arrive in a city and just walk into some English school, but likely chances are low of hiring you for 3-4 months, considering the paperwork to get you an ARC takes about half that time.

Why not come on a working holiday visa?

pippi100 wants 3-4 months of a job before a September masters course begins. Thus, something needs to start from likely by June or earlier. It’s now mid-April. Doesn’t sound like too much research has gone into this as of yet.

Link below to gov’t website on work holiday visa.

http://www.boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1313&ctNode=783&mp=2

So pretty much their only option.

I will be the first to admit that not much research has been done! That’s why I posted here. I had other plans for the summer but they fell through last week. My plan was to get a working holiday visa and try to pick up summer camp work as I have a couple of years experience in ESL camps in Europe and I have seen a couple of positions advertised on tealit that are 2 or 3 month contracts

What’s your nationality?

Irish :four_leaf_clover:

There are tons of summer camps in Taipei for kids, but most of them are Chinese language, set up by a variety of local organizations: YMCA, NTNU sports/PE department, government baseball organization, public schools, skateboard/extreme sports organization, and many many more. I know this from having our boys attend camps the last few summers during summer. Camps can be anywhere from 1 hour, to half-day to full-day.

What’s the feedback been from emailing those camps on tealit?

Looks like you may have a weekend/week of hard-core researching to do to go over the Internet and find email addresses, etc. of camps and whatnot and then mass email blasting them to see if the positions are available for the summer.

Here are some tips.

Potential employers will take you more seriously when you actually have the visa, and even more seriously when you’re actually in Taiwan.

Whenever they express doubt or confusion about the visa, this chart should help. Draw their attention to the part that says 依現行「雇主聘雇外國人許可及管理辦法」第四條規定,度假打工者據以辦理之入國簽證,視為工作許可,即無需另申請工作許可.

English: 外交部領事事務局全球資訊網
Chinese: 外交部領事事務局全球資訊網

Obtaining the visa requires jumping through a few hoops (as the Taiwan representative office will explain), so if you want to do it this year, don’t delay. Good luck! :four_leaf_clover: