Coming to Taiwan with a couple of questions (intro)

Lets see, where to start…

I went on the 2005 Overseas Compatriot Youth Summer Formosa Study Tour in the summer of July, and like most ABCs, I fell in love with the country. The loveboat program is designed to get people like me interested in going back…and well, I am definitely interested.

I started lurking Forumosa in September of 2005, and my nice, fun image of Taiwan gradually started to take a more realistic turn. Horror stories of visa complications, meaningless contracts, authoritarian management, and general living complaints made me think twice about going over to teach English. It’s funny how all the “real” websites about Taiwan have tons of bad stuff to say…

I wasn’t completely scared away, though. All of it was really good information, and I felt as if I was living vicariously through a couple of you…and despite the possibility of disaster, I think I am ready to finally plan out my journey back.

I’m soon to be 23, with a Bachelor’s Degree in Anthropology (due in June 2006). My main question is: what kind of documents will I need to bring; specifically, in terms of credit? I’ve already thoroughly checked out Michael Turton’s great site, but I won’t be able to have a hard copy of my actual diploma until 2007. I will have official documentation in the form of transcripts by June, however; I am wondering if that is good enough for Taiwan. I know that nice frames of diplomas tend to be a factor…I hope it doesn’t screw me over.

Another question: I have a full-tube amplifier that I would hate to part with. Should I bring it over with me, or are there decent music stores in Taipei where I can buy a new guitar and amp? It’s a Peavey Classic 30 that comes up to my knees…

I plan to find housing and work somewhere in Taipei…planning on staying in a hostel for the first month, probably. I’d like to work at a “foreign-run buxiban,” since that’s where my research led me to believe was the best place for opportunities…I guess that’s it for now.

Hopefully I didn’t commit any newbie sins ^_^;
Looking forward to post more!

John

Welcome to Taiwan. We don’t all dislike it here. I for one, am very happy, though am realistic about the problems. M

I don’t have any solid answers to your questions but I suggest that you change the title of this thread so people know what it is about. Something like this: Coming to Taiwan: A few Questions

John. There are many great music stores here. However, you should think about this.
Finding an AMP you love is hard ANYWHERE…
You should never part with an amp you love.
But bringing it here might be a touch expensive. Can your parents hold it for you until you go back?

Actually, I do have some advice. Check out www.mandarinhostel.com

These are private rooms in apartments. You share apartment with 3-4 other people. It’s more like normal living with roommates than staying in a hostel. Cost is around NT2500 a week.

I got a work permit a few years back after finishing my studies but before I actually got my degree certificate. It was a bit of a pain, but eventually they accepted the official transcript as proof. I have to say though, once I got the nice framed diploma things went a lot more smoothly the next time I had to apply.

Like many things connected with the bureaucracy in Taiwan, I suspect that you’ll get a different answer depending which office or department you talk to.

Good luck!

[quote=“Taffy”]I got a work permit a few years back after finishing my studies but before I actually got my degree certificate. It was a bit of a pain, but eventually they accepted the official transcript as proof. I have to say though, once I got the nice framed diploma things went a lot more smoothly the next time I had to apply.

Like many things connected with the bureaucracy in Taiwan, I suspect that you’ll get a different answer depending which office or department you talk to.

Good luck![/quote]

Ahh thank you thank you, I’m glad to know that it’s possible. This was the biggest worry I had in terms of planning my next year.

Mucha Man: Thanks for the link, I think I might go with this though: happyfamily.tripod.com/ - seems to be a little cheaper and (maybe?) better located? I stayed at the Hero House in Ximen the whole time I was in Taipei so I don’t really know the city too well in terms of living elsewhere…

SuchAFob: Hehe yeah I’m sure one of my relatives would be able to hold it for me…I think I might just end up buying new gear in Taiwan so that I don’t have to lug it all through my first few weeks there (including the plane ride)…

Thanks again for the replies!

Happy Family certainly has a good location, right next to Taipei Main Station, but the accomodations are…sub-standard. I doubt anyone would want to stay there a month.

I stayed at the Guesthouse Taiwanmex, near the Zhongshan stop (right after Taipei Main Station). The rooms are REALLY small, but clean. The showers are hot And the staff is extremely helpful. 400NT per night. Broadband is available in each room, in addition to a wireless internet signal. It’s a quiet location and close to everything.

hostels.com/en/tw.ti.html

Ah, well, I’ve lived in plenty of sub-standard places before. I think it would be good for me…one of the main reasons I’m coming over is to find some purpose and get out of the comfortable yet uninspired lifestyle that so many of my friends got used to after college via lazing around at home. Yeah, that whole stereotypical “trying to find myself in a (sorta) foreign land” deal…the only thing that would be unacceptable are bugs and insects…can’t stand those. Happy Family Hostel is also the cheapest one I’ve found.

First priority is to maintain a budget…I’ll take cheap :smiley:
So far, the only bad hostel I’ve read about seems to be Amigo

I would go with Persephone’s suggestion. Broadband, wireless, and clean…and for the same price as Happy Family.

As far as bringing things, unless you go with only a backpack, I think bringing more is really not a big deal. Maybe it just means another trip to grab more stuff. After you get settled it will make you happier to have the things you love with you. For me, I brought a large computer in a box and it meant I wasn’t quite as mobile and a little more paranoid about my hostel door being locked, but overall it hasn’t been a hassle at all.

I brought FOUR large suitcases with me. (And I’m very happy that the airline did not notice and charge me extra.) I definitely could have done without the clothes–I have a better selection of cheaper stuff here–but as far as the heavier items like books, camera equipment, and toiletries, I’m very happy I brought them. Most of the books can’t be found in Eslite or Caves, the hair products aren’t in Watsons, and I can’t afford to buy a new camera right now. I took a cab from the airport to the hostel. The owner helped me carry it all upstairs. No problem. I was fine and you will be too. Bring the things that will make you happy.Once the thrill of newness has worn off a bit, you will need them to get through those first few confusing, lonely, depressing days. :wink:

I hear you about how this and other “real” websites about living and working in Taiwan can sound negative.

I think that most posters here don’t post what they did last weekend, not becuase it wasn’t fun, but because we don’t like to brag. :blush:

So, I’ll give you a peek at my weekend. We worked until 12:30, stopped of in San Xia for a couple of Belgian Pie’s sandwiches and got a loaf of ROSMARY bread. :slight_smile: We drove up to Shr Men dam and kept going into the mountains, stopping to take in the view; stopped and had some coffee and walked around in the woods, saw a couple of waterfalls and hawks. Driving back home we picked up some roadside enormous cabages and squash (for soup). The weather was perfect, the cars were few, and there was not one damn thing to bitch about.

On Sunday, we went into Taipei, hit Costco for some goodies; went to Taipei 101 and got our son a remote control car with LED lights in the wheels that can NOT be flipped over (we tried later on that night at home in the dark) and then onto Page One for a TC Boyle short story collection; then we went to lunch with another forumosan family at TGIFridays.

It was a great weekend all around.

I think this happens a lot, for many of us.

peace
jdserene

You should know that here most venues and practice spaces supply amps. So you really only need your own amp for practicing at home. In which case a head-phoned practice amp is a wise idea anyways…

[Sorry slightly off topic – please feel free to split]

So Love Boat is still alive? I thought the government canceled it. What kind of propaganda were you fed? During the KMT years it was Chinese-ness of course. Just wondering how the agenda has changed.

[quote=“BAH”][Sorry slightly off topic – please feel free to split]

So Love Boat is still alive? I thought the government canceled it. What kind of propaganda were you fed? During the KMT years it was Chinese-ness of course. Just wondering how the agenda has changed.[/quote]

Haha…the propaganda. Honestly it was delivered better than I thought. They had this old guy, with the raspiest voice on Earth, telling a bunch of young kids, “Taiwan is your home! You should love your HOME!” I got some laughs out of that with my impression…they talked about the predictable “China is communist, Taiwan believes in independence!” agenda, and how Taiwan has lots going for it, such as technology, etc. The funny thing was, as the old guy was saying that, his microphone started to malfunction. He was a good enough sport to joke about it, though.

Still, it was endearing. They really want you to love this country, and maybe come back to enjoy it and help it out. We had to sit in an auditorium and watch an exercise group dancing on stage once…it was funny, and I’m sure it would have felt really embarrasing had we experienced it in the States, but there was some sort of surreal agreement amongst ourselves that it was…ok. Maybe it’s because we were all “Chinese” and we are used to things like this haha…

Overall they aren’t relying on their corny speeches or pats on the back, they want you to have a good time so that when you think of Taiwan, you think of fun times. I guess some of the “brainwashing” worked because I do want to come back :wink:

I think the program was cancelled once in either 2002 or 2003 because of SARS. It’s still very much alive and evolving, with different camps of Loveboat even (this year I think there are 5 versions)

Thanks again for the replies! I’ll try using the PMs on this forum!

Hmmm. Search function…

More research has led me to believe that a diploma is pretty much mandatory not only to get a job, but for the more pending issue of a VISA; it seems they really do rely on that specific document. And as many of us know, colleges are well prepared to give you the tuition bill right on time, but when it comes to diplomas, you the consumer (college is a business) must wait at least 3 months…

My plan was to go back to Taiwan in July or August and look for work with my official transcripts. I’m not even 100% sure when those get to me. By the time I actually do get my diploma (late September is, sadly, the “optimal” time), the new school year will have started over there. Very very frustrating, and I have to put up being in my hometown for even longer…

I haven’t really been checking back on this website because of the total loss of hope…but I thought I would post this up just for some sort of resolution. I can’t even begin to explain the frustration I’ve had these past 3 weeks…

utilise this forum is a great start.

in no time you will lock into life here and find decent housing etc. if you want to teach english you should have little trouble finidng a job.

as for documents etc… you think taiwan is tough… the crap we went through getting my WIFE an australian visa was infinitely more troublesome, stressful and wasteful than mine for taiwan.

another place to check for advice on papers etc

www.tealit.com

You can appeal to your school to have your diploma processing (?) sped up. I got mine within a month. I also came with a notarized copy of my degree because my mother was not going to let the original leave her eyesight. The details are hazy as my first month here (during which I experienced 9/11, Typhoon Nari, and beginning my 50 hr/week job three days after arriving) were a little chaotic, but apparently it was enough because I got the job five years ago and they still haven’t asked to see the original to date.

That’s a seriously long name. I doubt that I could even remember that.