Complete Guide to Opening a Rep Office 2011 Update

Rep offices pay no tax so I’m not sure where you’re going to deduct.

If your landlord is paying tax on the rental income from your personal domicile, then you can declare. I’ve never met a landlord who was, though, so …

Hey… just wondering has anyone had any experience working full-time as a Rep for Taiwan Rep Office - and while on that Rep Office ARC, also working part-time on the side (let’s say 3-10 hours a week)???

Do you think it would be allowed? Has anyone ever done it before (and not been rejected when they apply for ARC renewal)?

Has anyone received any advice on this from their Taiwan accountant or from Taiwan gov’t as to whether they think this is alowed?

I’m thinking of working part-time for 3-10 hours a week as an English teacher while on the Rep Office ARC just for fun, meet some other people and make some extra money on the side, and also as a hobby of sorts…

Thanks

You can do anything as long as you have a permit. You’ll need a separate work permit to teach. If you are working for a licensed English school this will be a simple matter. The gov’t in Taiwan allows you to have more than one job at a time as long as it follows the rules with regard to maximum hours, etc. Don’t remember what they are but it’s reasonable.

I just applied for health insurance through this and it was super smooth - but make sure to do it quickly after setting up the rep office and getting your ARC as you will have to pay back-fees , that is to say you will have to pay the monthly fee for every single month since your rep office was set up. My office was set up in Oct.2014 and i applied for NHI last week, meaning i have to pay for 5 months that i didnt even use my health insurance for. NHI is sweet so I’m not complaining too much but the further you wait the further you get screwed.

As a rep office representative/company owner you pay the full costs of insurance so it is more expensive than what an employee would pay. Rather than $x00, i’m paying around $2000TWD a month. Even at this rate compared to insurance in america I’d consider this a steal.

2000NT/month is brutal! I have a private policy which admittedly doesn’t cover regular checkups like routine dental but it’s not that much and it covers me worldwide (except the States lol).

[quote=“abcteacher”]I just applied for health insurance through this and it was super smooth - but make sure to do it quickly after setting up the rep office and getting your ARC as you will have to pay back-fees , that is to say you will have to pay the monthly fee for every single month since your rep office was set up. My office was set up in Oct.2014 and i applied for NHI last week, meaning I have to pay for 5 months that i didnt even use my health insurance for. NHI is sweet so I’m not complaining too much but the further you wait the further you get screwed.

As a rep office representative/company owner you pay the full costs of insurance so it is more expensive than what an employee would pay. Rather than $x00, I’m paying around $2000TWD a month. Even at this rate compared to insurance in America I’d consider this a steal.[/quote]

you have to be in Taiwan however for 3 months right to be eligible for Health Insurance right? For me this is never the case with my Job I am never

anyone know any good virtual offices?

most are 3,500 + per month, does anyone know anything cheaper?

Does the mother conpany has to be a corporation 有限公司 or can it be a registered entreprise? In Moea wesbite it was stated they also need to see capital. What kind of proof should i provide to show capital ? Bank statement ?

do not need to show capital as of last year

You never needed to show capital.

You can apply for health insurance right after you get your ARC. In fact it’s mandatory, at least in theory. That’s why abcteacher above had to pay retroactively.

For offices, check Taipei Kijiji. There used to be a guy doing them for 1800.

Hi all. I’ve just successfully registered a rep office for my company, and am now moving on to the 2nd step to applying for the work permit and basically hiring myself.

My question is: from reviewing the documentation online there seems to be 2 different sub steps, 1 to apply for a permit in place for the company to hire a foreigner (雇聘外国专业人员工作许可申请书) , and THEN only 2, to apply for a work permit for myself? Having read through all of the pages here I don’t see this being mentioned… Can anyone confirm if this is necessary?

Also, do any of the documents required for the work permits and ARC need to be notarized or stamped by a TECO?

Have you solved your problem? I don’t think you need that.

[quote=“abcteacher”]I just applied for health insurance through this and it was super smooth - but make sure to do it quickly after setting up the rep office and getting your ARC as you will have to pay back-fees , that is to say you will have to pay the monthly fee for every single month since your rep office was set up. My office was set up in Oct.2014 and i applied for NHI last week, meaning I have to pay for 5 months that i didnt even use my health insurance for. NHI is sweet so I’m not complaining too much but the further you wait the further you get screwed.

As a rep office representative/company owner you pay the full costs of insurance so it is more expensive than what an employee would pay. Rather than $x00, I’m paying around $2000TWD a month. Even at this rate compared to insurance in America I’d consider this a steal.[/quote]

I got this also, they also said I need to pay for it as a company and individual making it 3000 a month which seems a bit steep. I thought you would only need to pay for it for an individual?

you need to pay both. usually the company you work for pays a significant portion of your insurance, like a matching thing. As your own employer you have to pay both sides of that. because of the insurance aspect which is calculated on salary its a good idea to claim a lower salary, although you may have to substantiate that with bank slips later on.

Hi what’s the minimum wage for a representative office director nowadays? any official links would be highly appreciated.

It took a looong time, but I finally read every post in this thread and Llary’s original thread. The information is tremendous and greatly appreciated, but now I may be suffering from info overload and can’t decide whether to go with a RO, branch office or local company. Advice would be very welcome.

I will be “retiring” to Taiwan soon with my wife. She is Taiwanese, so I will get a JFRC. But our daughter wants to come with us and is over 18, so not eligible for JFRC. She will be trying to start a career as an illustrator and since I write children’s books, we will make a good team. We will register a business in the UK and hope to produce books for sale anywhere in the world (possibly, but not necessarily, in Taiwan). Opening an RO, branch office or local business with my daughter as the rep or a foreign employee would be a way to keep her in the country. Does anyone have a suggestion which would be best? :ponder:

Initially, the business would have little revenue and I would pay her salary from my pension. Also, there would not be much legit RO work for her that we could document until we start buying a lot of printing. My other question is, would all three routes lead to her qualifying for an APRC after 5 years?

Scratch that. I’ve just discovered that the law was changed allowing children to inherit Taiwan citizenship from their mother (not just from father as previously.) Also, that my wife did not lose her Taiwanese citizenship when she became US citizen (as we previously thought). So, am I right in believing my daughter is eligible for Taiwan citizenship and doesn’t need an ARC if she is entered in the Household Registry? That would be sweet. :laughing: We would still set up our business though, but it looks like a local business would be the way to go.

Question. Does a representative office allow one to take receipt of imported goods? Example, a Taiwanese company purchased goods from a foreign company. All payments are conducted between the foreign HQ and local companies and the representative office will simply distribute the goods once they arrive in TW. Can the representative office take care of the customs/distribution from customs?

Theoretically the answer is no. A rep office is not allowed to conduct bussines under its own statutes. Hence you can not import goods, buy or sell goods and issue invoices. For distribution purpose you need at least a branch office. So you can issue local invoice to your customer.

Hey guys, i really need your help. Im going to obtain an ARC by opening a representative office and plan to bring my wife and kid here. So those are my questions:

• Based on this ARC, is it possible to bring my wife and kid here ( come with visitor visa first then change it into foreign spouse visa in Taiwan)?
  • Is there any condition applicable to change the visitor visa into foreign spouse visa (ie. visitor visa need to be more than 60 days or at least 60 days…)
  • Where can i change the visa status? Boca or NIA?
  • Other thing to be noted?

Thanks in advance and look forword to your help.