Conscription laws 2014?

Alright I got a question I hope someone could give me some insight on.

Heres my situation:
I was born in Taiwan then moved to California when I was 3. I stayed in California till I graduated college and moved to Korea to teach English in 2010 and I’m currently teaching English in Korea. I was born on Sep 6,1985, so I’m eligible for the draft. I want to go back to taiwan as soon as possible but I do not want to waste a year of my life in the army.

I have a dual citizenship with an overseas chinese stamp in my R.O.C. passport.

This is what I read recently: Males born after 1994 will only have to serve 4 months in basic training and are exempt from a full year and 2 months of service.

focustaiwan.tw/ShowNews/WebNews_ … &Type=aIPL

I also read that by the start of 2014 they will turn the draft into an all voluntary service.

etaiwannews.com/etn/news_con … id=1786382

So, I just want to be sure that when I return to Taiwan after 2014 when the draft laws change into an all voluntary service with only 4 months of basic training that I wont have to serve a full year because I wasn’t born after 1994. In other words, when I go back in 2014 when the laws change, will I have to serve a full 1 year or just 4 months and be done with that hot mess?

I would call the conscription office, which I did, but failed to coherently understand wtf they were trying to tell me.

when those laws change, I have 2 options: go back and serve 4 months or go back and serve a full year.
If its the latter and I have to serve a full year even with the change in laws, Then I might as well go back now and get it over with.

You likely have to spend a year teaching English to aboriginal schoolchildren. Only those born 1994 or later get away with doing only 4 months of military training. Those born before 1994 have to do a year of alternative military service. On the bright side, teaching English is something you should already be familiar with.

So you’re saying that even when the laws change to an all volunteer army, that people born before 1994 will have to still serve a year of service regardless if they have never served? I guess I gotta go ask the office when I go for there for vacation. If I have to serve 1 year that’s gonna be lame as fuck.

There can be a big difference between what politicians say they’re going to do and what actually gets done.

We’re still a long way from 2014, so don’t count too much on anything you hear before changes are enacted. And even once they are it may take some time before officials figure out what exactly they’re supposed to do (or not do).

Be patient. Things may change in your favor. And they’re unlikely to get worse.

I agree that things are probably not going to get worse Mr. cranky laowai.

And I also think that the new laws enacted and claims being proposed by the politicians have, more or less in terms of conscription, gone according to plan. for example, they have shortened the length from 2 years to 1 year and now that new law for kids born after 1994 and according to the way things are going, I get the sense that they will most likely change it to an all voluntary service.

I can never be certain, but my main concern is even if they do change it to an all voluntary service… do I still have to serve a full year? because if that is the case then it has a major impact on the decisions that I make in the next year.

From what I’ve have heard from my Taiwanese parents and local news (They’re worring about my situation as well, I left Taiwan at age 11) voluntary service only apply to those born after Jan. 1st, 1995. And eventhough there’s not a conscription there will still be a 4 month “military training” for people born after 1995 (like me!). The only way to get bypass conscription is to wait until after you turn 35, in which case you’ll no long consider fit for service. It is also possible to avoid military service if you enter the country as an alien and stay for less than 4 months at a time.

Yes. You will still have to serve a full year.

I was born in 1984, came back last year specifically to get my military over and done with and not have it looming over me. If you have Dual Citizenship, and your taiwanese Passport has an overseas stamp, then your situation is pretty much the same as mine. You have choices.

1. Come back, do the service. Never have to think about it again. Enter and leave the country as you please.
  2. Come back on your Taiwanese Passport (with an overseas stamp), and leave every 4 months. no service required.
  3. Don’t come back until you are 35.

If you have anymore questions, PM me… ill try to help as much as possible…

Quick question… where are you guys getting the conscription cut off age as 35? Per Taiwan’s own government websites (english.docms.taipei.gov.tw/ct.a … &mp=121012), the cut-off age is 40!

According to the laws of the ROC, all male citizens 19 years of age on January 1 to 40 years of age on December 31 are obligated to render mandatory military service; they are considered draftees. Male individuals of conscription age are those who possess ROC citizenship and who are 19 years of age on January 1, and the calculation method is as follows: the current year minus the birth year yielding an answer of 19 and above is considered conscription age (e.g. 2006 – 1987 = 19). Draftees who were born between January 1 and December 31 in 1987 are considered as being 19 years of age from January 1 to December 31 of 2006.

[quote=“ratbastid”]Quick question… where are you guys getting the conscription cut off age as 35? Per Taiwan’s own government websites (english.docms.taipei.gov.tw/ct.a … &mp=121012), the cut-off age is 40!

According to the laws of the ROC, all male citizens 19 years of age on January 1 to 40 years of age on December 31 are obligated to render mandatory military service; they are considered draftees. Male individuals of conscription age are those who possess ROC citizenship and who are 19 years of age on January 1, and the calculation method is as follows: the current year minus the birth year yielding an answer of 19 and above is considered conscription age (e.g. 2006 – 1987 = 19). Draftees who were born between January 1 and December 31 in 1987 are considered as being 19 years of age from January 1 to December 31 of 2006.[/quote]

Can anyone confirm this? I thought it was 34. Then I come in here and see 35 and 40!