Contact address while filing the taxes

Hi,

I know it’s not May yet, but recently out of curiosity I was checking the software that a foreigner can use for filing tax returns online and got a question to ask. When I input my personal data, it requires me to fill in my contact address and check if it’s a tenancy, ownership or “other”. The question is, it’s explicitly written in my contract that “承租人不得報稅” - does it usually mean that I can’t use this address at all in any system or form that is related to tax authorities or just that I can’t use my rent to claim tax deduction? (I can tolerate the latter). At the same time, it’s stated that the taxes (such as 房屋稅, 地價稅) are paid by landlord

I believe such situation is common around Taiwan as no one cares about paying property or rental income taxes (it sucks, but currently nothing can be done about it by me). What do other people here do when filing taxes? State that it’s a tenancy but don’t claim tax deduction? Or choose “Other” instead of “Tenancy” (may it be classified as submission of falsified data)? Any advice on this issue?

About the “call the landlord and ask him” possible reply - the problem is, he’s definitely not an expert in tax-related matters (especially for foreigners) and he may probably think that simply entering my address there will be enough to put him under tax authorities’ scrutiny even if it won’t. I’ve heard some crazy stories about a landlord getting mad at the tenant after he found out that the latter replaced his old ARC address with the new one (even though Immigration Agency has nothing to do about taxes).

Thanks,
Paul

You can use the address without any problems, the landlord is not paying tax on the rental income so he doesn’t want you to claim tax relief on it.

The landlord should know that a tenant needs to have a valid address for an ARC. I have received notices from the NIA occasionally that was sent to my address on record with them.

You shouldn’t have a problem. Just claim the standard deduction and don’t claim the rent as a tax write off.

Do you mind posting the link to filing site?