Cost of bringing my family to Taiwan to teach

This isn’t the_bear you’re looking for.

This isn’t the_bear we’re looking for.

I believe the only time I’ve been asked about onward tickets has been when getting on an airplane in North America, on my way to Taiwan. (I have an APRC but they were initially skeptical that such a thing existed.) Anyway, that’s another thing the OP should look into.

The tone of the responses "against’ this plan may be a little sarcastic, but IMO the OP would do well to ignore that and really think hard about the facts in those posts.

1. How much is it really going to cost in airfare (even for one-way)?
  2. How much for visas?
  3. How is the OP’s or family’s language skills, to be getting the really good apartments at the cheap prices?
  4. Does the OP have 2 years working experience anywhere?
  5. Does the OP have several months’ worth of Taiwan expenses ready to go in cash form so that he can float the family during his job search?
  6. Is the OP prepared not to be paid for a full month after he begins work, since most companies pay retroactively? (This might be less depending on their pay schedule but it could happen.)
  7. Where is the OP and family going to stay while looking for a permanent home? The places the OP is mentioning are rather large (“Hsinchu”, “Taichong”) and he isn’t familiar with them in terms of areas or neighborhoods, public transportation, etc. If they house-hunt before he has a job, he’s risking Commute From Hell. If they don’t, they’re facing high lodging fees in the meantime.
  8. Has the OP worked in anything having to do with wrangling children before? Engrish teaching in many of the buxiban chains in Taiwan isn’t about designing learner-friendly activities like a TESOL course says it is. It’s about sticky balls and whinging parents and ridiculous materials and split-shift schedules and shuffling from one location to another (illegally). That may get better over time, as the OP gains experience and is able to jump to a better job – but again, that will be geography-dependent if he’s tied to a year-long lease on an apartment.
  9. Speaking of which – don’t forget the deposit for the apartment. Two months’ rent, in most cases.

I also find the question about whether the OP has even been to Asia before realistic. The Engrish teaching experience in Taiwan is a lot different on the ground than it is on paper (well, on electrons, these days.)

Don’t get me wrong. I moved to Taiwan (a long time ago, granted) with US$300 and a suitcase. But I was single, had a graduate degree, and spoke Mandarin. Of those three, I think the “single” part was the most helpful in establishing myself. I certainly didn’t get a fantastic teaching job right off the bat. Learn to like 7-11 baozi.

My nipples are hard as diamonds.

I don’t understand your “sarcastic” reference.

But I’m completely on board with your advice to OP, and I will shut up now.

Hello all! Wife of fletcher0516 here. Thank you for all of the advice. This isn’t something we’ve done before so the advice is appreciated.

I wanted to give a little more info. We’ve been doing research into this for about 6 months now. We will be purchasing the plane tickets beforehand (obviously) and discussing the cost seems moot since we already know how much it will be and are able to pay it just fine. We are planning on bringing about $3,000 with us. About 1k to set up a living space (deposit and 1st + 2nd months rent or whatever they are requiring) and then 2k for living for the first month we’re there.

I make a minimum of 1k a month at my job which I can do internationally anywhere at any time (lucky me) so my income will be there regardless.

We really were just asking for clarification on the visa issues. We’d like to know in advance what the requirements will be. Will we need another 1k just for the visas for all of us or will we need 2-300$ just for fletcher0516 to have a visa and we can be dependents under his visa? The rules are unclear and many websites give conflicting information. But we like to be prepared! So any information you can give regarding the visa situation would be much appreciated! I’m sure we’ll have other questions in the next few months. So thank you for being so willing to share your experiences with us.

Did you call local Taiwan embassy yet?

When I moved here with my family, between jigs and reels it cost more like 10,000 US.

As for accomodation if you shop around and bargain down you can get an OK place for less.

Hello, did you guys do it? I’m a homeschooling mom of 4, me and my hubby both teach English online and we’ve both been learning Mandarin for over a year now. I’d love to know if you did move to Taiwan, how you ended up doing it, the visa issues etc anything and everything. Thanks so much!!!
_A Canadian girl