Costco brings Black Friday to Taiwan

This Black Friday, Costco is selling Apple products half price and even giving protective cover for free!

Don’t they always sell the apples in that giant plastic protective cover anyways? Or was that tongue in cheek?

Yes!

But people went there expecting to find Apple phone and tables… :rofl::wall:

Went to the Hsinchu Costco at 9:45 this morning, bedlam. The only thing I’m really interested in is the Sony+Wharfedale receiver set up, which is marked down 5k. It was wiped out; not one left. The line going downstairs (foodstuffs downstairs, hard goods upstairs) was backed up along the wall all the way to where people were coming off the escalator coming upstairs from just inside the door. All the aisles feeding the line to the downstairs escalator and elevator were packed, too. I estimate that more than half the upstairs was in gridlock, not possible to shop. I kept trying to find a shortcut downstairs, no luck. After waiting for more than 20 minutes, I finally landed a spot in the elevator going downstairs. Whew.

Went back at 2pm and while crowded still, it wasn’t half as bad as this morning. US Gala apples were sold out downstairs. In fact, most of the BF produce was wiped out completely. There were 3 lines to the checkout, all snaking all the way back to the refrigerated meat cases on the back wall. Took about 15 minutes to check out, maybe a bit longer.

I live just across Ciyun Rd from Costco, so the wife and I will probably go back tonight, 8pm or later. Stocks may be wiped out, but at least I might be able to take my hands out of my pockets without knocking a citizen or two over.

Tomorrow and Sunday are going to be brutal.

You seem like a man of courage. I like you for my foxhole next year to plunder SOGO.

good thing that’s the only kind of apple products I want.

1 Like

Maybe not.
Originally, the promotions would go for three days, but it looks like they cancelled for tomorrow and Sunday.

Wow, wonder why.

Yeap.
Costco Taiwan to wrap up Black Friday sale early

Really? They were wiped out today in Hsinchu, but I’d be surprised if all the Black Friday items were sold out. Some might not be stocked Saturday or Sunday, but all of them?

Couple weeks ago they had the Imei milk tea promotion resulting in similarly long lines on Saturday and Sunday mornings. They were stocked out by evening time, but the next morning the stock was back and the assault was on again.

I think it would be very unusual for Costco to cancel a promotion over the weekend.

Crap!

I have a feeling that next year’s BF sale, assuming Costco Taiwan hosts Black Friday again, will be even worse than today’s. A lot of people working today were planning on going this weekend. They might not make that mistake next year.

Some quality reporouing there:

American members-only warehouse club Costco Wholesale Corp. said Friday it will cut short its three-day Black Friday sale after the sale’s first day due to strong demand for heavily discounted items…

UH?

Not even American Express…

才開賣一天,美式賣場好市多(Costco)黑色購物節將提前結束。好市多首度舉辦黑色購物節,民眾搶購超過預期,好市多今天表示,所有黑色購物節特別促銷商品都將售罄。

Maybe American style, though the prefered go to phrase is big warehouse, wholesale, etc.

1 Like

The problem with the Costco “sale” is that most of the stuff that was purchased today is going to end up on shoppee, yahoo auctions, ruten etc. and in 88 days time the electrical stuff that didn’t shift will be returned to Costco. Any of the food items will likely be returned earlier and the memberships that were purchased specifically for this big “sale” will be going back too! The thing with a Costco sale is that it doesn’t require any thinking just get in, grab anything that looks cheap and if it turns out it wasn’t that cheap or you have buyers remorse just bring it back the next day.

If Costco actually cared about their members access to the sales would be on a points basis or similar, the more you purchased (and not returned) during the year, the bigger the discount or the earlier the access on the day.

3 Likes

Well I am glad that is over and done. No real harm done except that it was a bad idea. But since it could have been worse I rejoice level heads prevailed and the Black Madness won’t go on during the weekend.

Just watched TVBS where they’re reporting from the returns desk at Costco…rather busy today, even the infamous buy one get one free TV’s being returned as apparently they weren’t such a great deal after all. Appears some “sale” items are still in stock despite the promotion being over. They’re also reporting on all the stuff that’s available on ruten.

3 Likes

Hardly anyone there this afternoon (Hsinchu) and little on sale.

Must have picked up a bit after you left. Fairly crowded just now, crowded enough that I didn’t want to spend much time shopping. Did pick up a Black Friday bottle of wine downstairs, though (120 off).

If they bring it back next year, Friday may be fun. Costco Taiwan should have a better idea of what unadvertised Sharp BOGO, Dyson fan, and Gala apple markdowns can inflict on surrounding road intersections, sidewalks, etc. (bridges?), and the game its customers bring. Maybe next year they can keep the anarchy alive through Sunday.

I think Costco Taiwan’s customers showed TVBS that Taiwanese shoppers are more than a match for any 'ol Wal Mart foot race in E St Louis, USA. They’re a lot more polite here, but no shirking.

Running through a couple of second hand sales groups in Facebook today, there are a lot of people selling new items, including different sizes of TV.
I highly suspect these were Black Friday items from Costco…

Ha. Thought for a sec on Friday that I might be trapped upstairs in Costco until they closed the store that night. I was tempted to run down the ‘up escalator’ rather than stand in line for 20 minutes to catch the down elevator. For a second there I’d have made it rain tiny Taiwanese on the food court down on 1F with no remorse. It passed.

I get a little PTSD at just the thought of SOGO, frankly. :crazy_face:

I went to Costco Sunday 8pm to do my normal grocery shopping, all the sale items sold out on Friday lol so it was a normal weekend day :D/