Coughing since I've been here. Is it the air pollution, humidity, or other?

Just came to Taiwan for a month but I’ve been coughing like crazy since I’ve been here. I’m not sick, just coughing. I’m wearing one of those medical masks that I see everywhere but it still doesn’t help. Anyone know why that is? Is it the air pollution, humidity, or other? It’s really ruining my experience here.

Have you seen a doctor?

Do you have history of allergies or seen a doctor about your symptoms?

I know after moving from a dry climate in the states to Taiwan which is a very humid climate that my allergies went crazy.

Probably the air pollution and/or dust mites and mould in your house. Use a dehumidifier and air purifier and that should help quite a lot. Also take anti allergy medication.

When I moved here six years ago (ouch!) the humidity was actually good for my weak lungs. I have a long and rich history of allergies and asthma problems but the humid and warm weather was actually… good for me.

However, last year has been a really bad year for me health wise, with lots of coughing and long colds and shit. Apparently now I’m still suffering the last bits of a chronic bronchitis.

I blame for all of this the increasing air pollution and me being exposed to it A LOT (I ride my motorcycle on a daily basis, and get stuck in traffic jams pretty much every morning commute). Eating habits could be better too.

However, I have had allergy episodes too, weird ones too, and that’s because we are in a very very green island with lots of trees, plants, spores, molds and shit.

If this were a normal country I’d tell you to visit the doctor, but last time I did so (for another problem), they gave me pills as usual but because they had no clue on what the problem was (again), I had to insist on taking an analysis (go figure…). Basically doctors are most of the times useless and if they can’t communicate with you, they see you as an annoyance to get rid of ASAP.

This is the country of the pills. There are more pills in bags than noodles in bowls.

OP, head over to the local ear/nose/throat doctor. If you have the national health insurance card, it shouldn’t be more than 200-250NT for registration and maybe an extra 50-100NT for medicine. There’s probably one on every block in Taipei since locals love to see a doctor whenever they have a minor cold.

Bring a SO or a friend that can help translate your symptoms if you have trouble with mandarin.

Last time I went for allergy-like symptoms and was prescribed some pills for a runny nose and given an inhaler. Both prescriptions helped with the issue, but didn’t cure it.

The filters in the air systems don’t get changed or cleaned regularly in most places. I would check that and other signs of mold in your bedroom.

oh, yes, the freaking aircons…

Thanks all. I bought some claritin and allegra with me. They do help reduce the symptoms but doesn’t eliminate them. Allergy worst at night and some closed places like elevators.

Do you guys find that wearing masks here really help you with respect to the coughing?

It helps, but of course, it’s not a cure.

I would go the route of what others have said and check air filters on whether they have been changed recently.

Check for mold in your office or apartment as well.

You can also check the PM2.5 levels and check to see the severity of your symptoms when the PM levels are high and low.

To inhale water vapour can help too. If you want to go fancy, treat yourself with occasional hotspring sessions.

If OP doesn’t care about the surroundings of the hot spring bath, some hot springs that provide only a stone tub and standing area could be cheaper than a visit to the doctor!

Have you noticed a difference between today (Tuesday Feb. 7) and yesterday? Yesterday the pollution was quite high, but today it’s about as clean as it gets here in Taipei. If you don’t feel any better today, it’s probably not related to pollution.

I find a mask helps if I’ve already got a cough - something about the mask moisturizes the air, I think? Or maybe it’s all in my head.

And do you see any differences in different environments? Office good, MRT bad, home bad, or whatever?

For me anyway, coughs will often “stick”: the cold may be long gone but I’ll be coughing for a week or two after that. Lots of ginger tea and/or Fisherman’s Friend cough drops can help me get over that hump.

If it’s especially bad at night, there are little strips you can buy that you stick to your nose, and they can help keep your nose open. They help some people, although that doesn’t really sound like your problem.

Mold. I have ran into it in many Asian countries. Those wall aircon units are mold factories.

One time I was coughing like hell and it wouldn’t go away. I took a week trip and it went away but returned the moment I stepped into my apartment. Aircons were black inside.

The masks help reduce the amount of dust that is inhaled. So if dust is a problem, they help.

Allegra and claratin do nothing for me here.

Have you checked if you got a throat infection?

For AC units, I use a filter that goes over the air intake, which does help.

Just get the deuhumidifuer and the air purifier going and get the right medication.
Check your bedding and furniture ,use anti mite and anti mould stuff. Move out of house if it is damp.

Don’t ride a scooter.

Alll above work for me.

I also got my aircons cleaned this year they were full of mould.

I do the first paragraph, but am on a scooter every day.

At least it evens out and I’m not getting worse.

Last year, I moved into a place and was so freaked out by the mattress dust that I went immediately to the department store and bought expensive dust mite covers. Since then, I’ve brought more covers from the US to take care of friends, family because I think this is big allergy contributor.
Most of the places here have solid surface floors which is great for cleaning and keeping the dust down.
Since moving to Taipei, I’ve found that the Adventist Hospital on Bade road is really great. I’ve been there for dental and dermatologist care and think they are top-notch. On their website, you can see the doctor profiles and I always try to choose one that has credentials from North America.

I noticed that they can do allergy bloodtests on their website. It doesn’t sound like they have the “needle” test where they pin down exactly what you’re allergic to. Maybe there are allergy clinics here?

https://www.tahsda.org.tw/en/FAQs.php
Q How & where can I take an allergy test (or blood test)? Is it covered by the National Health Insurance? How long does it take to have the results?
A: You can get allergy test (or blood test) done in our hospital. However, a doctor appointment is still needed as you would have to obtain the laboratory order for the test from the doctor. The result will take about 5-7 days to come out. The National Health Insurance Card will cover as long as the test is medical necessity.

Have you gone to Adventist to get the allergy tests before? I’ve actually never taken one despite my food and sinus allergies.

If the cost is anything under 1000NT, it’s worth it, even though it may not be covered by NHI.

I haven’t, but I guess it would take just going there to explore. My daughter is extremely allergic to dust mites and for years we were blaming the cat. She had the needle tests done in the states and after knowing exactly what the culprit was, we were able to deal with it much better. Perhaps someone on this forum has experience with allergy tests or clinics in Taiwan?