CPBL 2017 Season Opener (25th March @ Xinzhuang stadium)

So where do these teams play?

They should start small…I mean, really small. Like the Euro leagues. One town or city has like 5 teams. Then they can structure their leagues to allow promoting and regulating. It would make it more exciting. I think. It would help rebuild interest from the basest level. Instead of trying to hang on to what is old, just start over from the ground up. Have a salary cap so the best players do not always go to the richest clubs.

What do mean where do they play?

I mean the cppl can realistically support maybe 5-6 teams at best and still be competitive. And this is the most popular and played sport in taiwan outside of maybe closing in which is basketball. Due to the ease of playing vs baseball which needs a field. Where are we going to get the talent to field a team of football players?

They haven’t done well lately but was runner up losing against California in 2009. But they’ve done well in other international competitions.

I mean, where are all the teams.

That is fine. What I am talking about is a multi level league. Top tier, middle tier, lower tier. There would be, say a top tier of say 9 teams. At the end of the season, the top 4 go on to play in a championship and the bottom 3 get relagated to the middle tier. The top 3 teams in the middle tier would get promoted to the top tier. And so on.

The same place China, Korea, Japan, and the US got theirs…has beens and wannabes from the global leagues mixed with homegrown talent.

What teams are you talking about? School teams? They play in local fields as most schools don’t have a baseball field.

football is just not popular right now. I don’t know how you’ll grow the sport when there’s almost no fan base. Basketball has the largest fan base outside of baseball. People here love the NBA, but taiwan still has no one watch the SBL. HBL, which is high school basketball is more popular sadly. It’s not like people here regularly watch the premier league or FIFA. We at least compete in FIBA basketball and do relatively well in international baseball competitions. But no taiwan hasn’t qualified for any international football competitions that I know of. It’s not that I don’t want a football league, but it’s just that if I go ask the average Taiwanese to name 5 footballers, they probably can’t. They can easily tell me baseball players and basketball players.
And plus, there’s just no football culture here. You need coaching and people that have been in the game to build up the culture. China spends billions on football development, they didn’t even qualify the World Cup after the communist party decided they whole country will develop their football talents. They opened more football academies, built more fields, paid international players and coaches to come to china. And they didn’t even qualify for the World Cup. How is taiwan just going to put talent on the field and pay players to come play?

I think you got confused since I am joing separate pieces into one conversation…

The CPBL teams…where do they play? What cities are they in. The CPBL was what I have been talking about restructuring like European football leagues, specifically the Premiere league.

Some of the teachers at my school are English, so they talk about football with the kids. As do I. I see many of the kids wearing kits, as well. I saw a Paris St Germaine kit the other day! Can you believe that!? Who’da thunk it?

My kids can also mention a few B-ball players, namely Curry and James. It was Shaq and Kobe, but they are gone.

I have seen Chinese football on TV. Yikes. It does not look healthy at all. At one time, there was not a lot of love for the game in the US, but MLS has made great strides in 20 years.

Ah. I’m not too familiar, they used to just move around. But I think like the above comment, 2 decided to find a home which I think it’s the right move.

I also think more and more kids do like football and I do see them wearing jerseys around when I worked with a after school sports program. But when I strike conversations with them about players and games, they don’t know much. I think maybe they don’t really watch but think it’s cool to wear a Man U jersey. But the kids talk about basketball a lot. Not much about baseball actually. They don’t know much about baseball I found. I find that taipei kids like basketball a lot and know the players. But these are of course kids that actually play sports, so that might not be the best sample size. But kids are not going to be the ones with the spending money, when Steph curry came to taiwan last year, he sold out the stadium in taipei easily. I’m guessing if zlatan or Neymar came, not sure people would pay 10-50k for a ticket to see them.

But I guess they have to start somewhere? I just don’t know if the league will be profitable. They only way I see if it becomes cool for corporations to own a football club and the government backs it to start.

Haha, I thought you were talking about football teams in Taiwan.

But go back to CPBL location.

Monkeys - Fully localised in Taoyuan
Uni-Lions - Fully localised in Tainan (But had to travel last 2 seasons due to stadium renovation)
Brothers - Sort of based in Taichung, but they travel all over Taiwan
Guardians - Sort of based in Xinzhuang, but they travel all over Taiwan.