CPI SM250 & related banter

I had the broken spoke changed just now.

At that shop there was a CPI in for repairs. It had received a lot of treatment. USD forks, new brake setup F&R, exhaust that looks the same as yours RK, new carb, new rear shock, side stand, tyres (BT090 front, michelin pilot sporty rear), 10mm spacer on the drivetrain, new sprockets, quick actioon throttle etc. I was going to have a go on it but the mechaninc said the carb keeps sticking open. He told me to take a metal hook thing to pull the squirty part of the carb back out if it sticks open. Fuck that! He said it makes ā€œhun do ma liā€. Iā€™d like to give it a shot.

I see Frando are making hy-mech clutch conversions for the CPI now. Anyone else keen to try one?

Pommes King tells me his bike is not ready yet, so I take it tomorrowā€™s ride is off. Itā€™s going to piss down anyway.

CPI SM250 mods

Improved F & R brakes, forks, chain ring spacers to enable a 140 rear, oil cooler, front rain fender, 36mm carbs, rear rack, lots of stuff of interest in this moddersā€™ blog.

[quote=ā€œmaunaloaā€]CPI SM250 mods

Improved F & R brakes, forks, chain ring spacers to enable a 140 rear, oil cooler, front rain fender, 36mm carbs, rear rack, lots of stuff of interest in this moddersā€™ blog.[/quote]
Wow! your bike looks great!
How do you avoid that clutch lever on the engine side not to get rusty? Mine is half rusty already (2.5 year old bike)
and also my chain start getting rusty spots, do you guys use some special lubricants on it?

The bikes in those links are not mineā€¦ but belong to customers of the shop hosting the blog:
金čؘåÆ¦ę„­ęœ‰é™å…¬åø
Kim Kee Industrial Co., Ltd.
104-91台北åø‚äø­å±±å€å»ŗ國北č·Æäø€ę®µ36號

As far as rustā€¦ do you store your bike outdoors? Most bikes, even if ridden in the rain, are slow to rust if they are stored indoors and are dry most of the time. You can also spray parts that arenā€™t involved in cooling the engine with a clear sealer (not WD-40, but a true sealer, like Krylon) to slow corrosion.

I once ā€œcleanedā€ a bicycle chain with WD-40 without dismounting the chain and forgot to lube the chain. Less than a week later the chain had a thin coat of rust on every link.

Sunflower oil.

If theres actual rust, rub the SO with aluminium foil. It makes a grey primer-like paste but you can wipe that off if you care about shinyness.

SO alone attracts dust but its very good at stopping corrosion, and it lasts.

Chain-wise, see dedicated thread.

Pommes have you got your CPI back yet?
This weekend I have to work, but the Saturday after that, I think itā€™s the 12th of May, I think we should do the ride. I propose meet at the track, cruise down to Jhubei to look at the CPI shop, head out to Hengshan, have a bash on the go karts then take that little road over the mts to Baling, heading back on the 7 - 118 route.

[quote=ā€œjaameā€]Pommes have you got your CPI back yet?
Me exhaust arrives tomorrow i heard.
This weekend I have to work,
And RK supposed to race
but the Saturday after that, I think itā€™s the 12th of May, I think we should do the ride. I propose meet at the track, cruise down to Zhubei to look at the CPI shop, head out to Hengshan, have a bash on the go karts then take that little road over the mts to Baling, heading back on the 7 - 118 route.[/quote]
Sounds like a plan to me!

Went to mountain dirt and gravel off-roads yesterday and now feel I need to make some improvements to my CPI.

• I want to change rear sprocket to 42, but canā€™t find it on ruten anymore.
    also spoke to local bike speed shop: MTC, he recommend me to change ehhaust pipe; right after head and if not enough, upgrade carb to CVK36.
    He also fixed my idle problem (RPM goes up and down and engine stalls while idling) by changing some small jet for 200 NT.
    I remember someone else has this problem.

Give me some tips guys, how to make engine work better and get more HP and torque out of it?

Thank you

I donā€™t know of a replacement head for the CPI but Iā€™m interested to learn about one. Do you have any info?
Check tw.bid.yahoo.com type in CPI and look for the sprocket. I know the seller WMPC has some, thatā€™s the bloke in Jhubei.

I think the 36mm carb is quite common now having seen quite a few of them on the internet. Thatā€™s what Iā€™d like to get but I think the suspension is more important so Iā€™d do that first. I might even do it myself if I can muster the cash somehow.

My CPI wouldnā€™t start yesterday. It was standing in the sun all afternoon. When I finished work I tried to start it and it did start actually, I blipped the throttle a few times, but it died when I went to set off. Then I couldnā€™t start it again. It was turning over but not firing. Iā€™m no mechanic but my dad did teach me a bit of stuff (but not enough!). There was plenty of fuel in the tank, the fuel stop tap was letting fuel through to the filter. The spark plug looked fine and the wire to it wasnā€™t broken where I could see it. I took the tank off and looked for broken wires etc but couldnā€™t find any. I fiddled around with the CDI and rec/rec wires and connectors. Then it started again, ran for about ten seconds and died after a few blips of the throttle like the first time.

I donā€™t know how to diagnose fuel starvation or a faulty spark plug/lead.

It went into a scooter shop, itā€™s still there now and I havenā€™t heard anything about it.

I think it may the something wrong with the carb, possibly the pilot jet that has a blockage, hence why it would rev up but then died from idle. It has also tried to die when pulling away from lights quite a few times in the past couple of months.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be? Tafcoml, what happened to yours to make you change the carburettor?

I had the same idling problem as you described, seems after replacing jet it works fine, I am not sure what that jet(part number)

Apparently it was water in the spark plug hole. Going to pick it up in a bit. Obviously Iā€™ve been washing it too much recently as a result of my new found love for it.

[quote=ā€œferopontā€]
also spoke to local bike speed shop: MTC, he recommend me to change head[/quote]

1.Could you ask him what exactly that is? What it costs and does? Who offers it? (Thanks!)

2.Anyone knows how much pressure the cylinder should have? The compression? 10kgs?

3.I did a solid run with my new exhaust (Ti Have Boundless Power :smiley: ) and it feels a bit better. Not boundless but noticable - yet not as noticable as the increase in volume!. I feel it gives a slight boost around 6000rpm whereas the original setup just didnā€™t. Apart from that it seems to give the engine more air to breath.

4.necessary changements this time were; brake pads, front tire, water cooler!

5.@Jaame; sorry about yesterday - but it was actually nice to be back before traffic went crazy. What i kept sending to your phone is that I have your #plate/front light at home. Try to make it work!

No worries, I went out to the bungy bridge at the other side of Baling. I came pretty close to crashing at one point trying to get the peg down and the road dropped away when I was at full lean. Scary stuff.

Good news about the plate. Iā€™ll give it a try soon!

Iā€™ve been thinking about my next bike quite a bit for when the CPI bites the dust. I think the new Husqvarna Sm511 (488cc BMW engine) would be a possible. The price will probably be about $500k on a yellow plate.

I just found out KTM are going to produce a 350cc Duke in India later in the year. Now that is something I would be very interested in. Streetfighter style, 35 horse, 120kg, Indian price just over $100k Taiwanese. Hopefully theyā€™ll make it over here in a couple of years for about $200k, or at least under $300k.

Ride on!

[quote=ā€œjaameā€]1.I think the new Husqvarna Sm511 (488cc BMW engine) would be a possible.
2. 350cc Duke[/quote]

1. Iā€™ll buy an aircooled Porsche with that $ instead
  2. What about the 200? 250? Is that thing ready and available yet? If the Duke comes to Taiwan, my CPI is a gonerā€¦

[quote=ā€œjaameā€]No worries, I went out to the bungy bridge at the other side of Baling. I came pretty close to crashing at one point trying to get the peg down and the road dropped away when I was at full lean. Scary stuff.

Good news about the plate. Iā€™ll give it a try soon!

Iā€™ve been thinking about my next bike quite a bit for when the CPI bites the dust. I think the new Husqvarna Sm511 (488cc BMW engine) would be a possible. The price will probably be about $500k on a yellow plate.

I just found out KTM are going to produce a 350cc Duke in India later in the year. Now that is something I would be very interested in. Streetfighter style, 35 horse, 120kg, Indian price just over $100k Taiwanese. Hopefully theyā€™ll make it over here in a couple of years for about $200k, or at least under $300k.

Ride on![/quote]

James, dont do the yellow plate, that would be soooooooooooooo stupid. If you are going to go that big make sure it is over a 550cc. There is a guy in our club that has a Husqvarna 550, something like that, but it is legal with a red plate. He actually blew the motor on it, but got it rebuilt. Dont you dare spend that much on a yellow plate. Eventually every freeway here will allow red platesā€¦trust me, it will happen in the next 5 years.

To be honest RK, after riding thet Fireblade in Thailand earlier in the year, I donā€™t want a bike with anything like that amount of power (or that riding position). 30-40hp, an upright riding position loike a pushbike and wide bars is exactly what I (think I) want now, especially with my second kid popping out soon.

Iā€™m interested to learn what you know about the country opening up to red plate bikes though. About a year ago I was told in Ducati Taoyuan that the governement are actually trying to restrict the number of red plate bikes being imported. That doesnā€™t have anyhting to do with the law regarding what roads they can go on, but it suggests a negative attitude towards big bikes in general. Maybe theyā€™ve flip flopped, or it was simply never true. What do you know?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/motorbikes/459153d1290676745-scoop-ktm-duke-200-caught-testing-india-2011ktm125duke-5.jpg

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about, and itā€™s a 125. When they put the 350 in it, release an R-spec, and pull all the street shit off it like plate and lights, it will be a total badboy.

So how about Saturday AM. Longtan-Jhubei-Hengshan-Baling and back. Whoā€™s in and whoā€™s out?

Iā€™m in (weather permitting).

Pommes, the 200 duke has been postponed in Europe because of massive demand in India from what I can gather. Iā€™m going to ask them about it next time I go to the Taoyuan Ducati shop (who also sell KTM). The 350 is slated for the end of 2013 release in India.

Using the ninja 250 as a benchmark, they pretty much added 60% onto the Euro price to release it here, and it was 2 years late. By that token, the Duke 350 should make it here by 2015 at a price of about $300k.

As for the 200, it could be 2014 and $250k.

Did you know the CBR250 is actually made in India too?

right, maybe by then Iā€™ll have build my own bike :cactus:
Iā€™ll just make the most of my CPI untill then; - a stiffer fork would be nice. Itā€™s creepy to feel it flex when I do endoā€™s.

Sat or Sun is fine with me as long as we can leave early - itā€™s dangerous enough without crazy traffic IMO.
Why Jhubei? We can skip that part for all I care - unless you want me to show you some rollercoaster-paths

OT; I think the banging is funny - but the setup might be a bit too lean.

[quote=ā€œpommes kingā€]
Sat or Sun is fine with me as long as we can leave early[/quote]

yes, got plans from noon on each day. Sunday might rain?

Today we found out that Wei Lun in Hsinchu can rebore the CPI from the standard 70mm to either 74 or 76mm. By my calculation, 74 would give 279.5cc and 76mm would give 295cc. He said heā€™d change the valves, re-cut the inlet and exhaust tracts and fit a new carb, all for $30,000. 35 horsepower was claimed.

That and the forks and shock would put the total for the CPI at $175,000.

Is it worth it? Iā€™m not sure.

On the other hand, if one had $588,000 burning a hole in oneā€™s pocket, one could buy a Husaberg FS570 motard on a red plate:

goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21106038913622