CPI SM250 & related banter

[quote=“jesus80”]I’m a more or less happy owner of a TU250 grasstracker. I like it, but sometimes I’d like to try something different and… perhaps more powerful. I know that CPI SM is not much powerful than my suzuki, but… how does it fit for a 1,73 guy? the one I’ve tried was kind of tall for me, but the owner had put some padding in the seat. Also I don’t know if there’re different models or adjustments that affect its height.

How about quality? I remember I read once some nick “sandman” saying that TU doesn’t make any sense in Taiwan and that SM CPI is the only good option. Then the story led to other conclusions…[/quote]

I’m only 170cm and it’s fine. Yeah, can’t flat foot it but you don’t really need to. Mostly keep my right foot on the peg/brake and put the left down at lights. Some guys lower them, will consider it myself after getting to know the CPI better.

I considered a TU as well, but chose the sm as it just made more sense financially as a short term visitor, and I’ve recently been bitten by the sm bug. The TU doesn’t have a sporty nature from my test ride, which also put me off. You’re welcome to try my bike out if you’d like to get a better feel for it.

RE: The colour change. My advice is, just do it. My friend bought a black used car from a foreigner in Taipei and changed the registration over without hassle, but the DMV said at the time the car should be blue. On further investigation, he found it had blue, yellow and black paint. He thinks the provious owner was working as an illegal taxi driver in his spare time. The point being, the car was registered as blue, but it wasn’t blue, and they still changed the reg over.

Pommes, be careful! Did you tell your wife you ate shit?

I took my bike down to the CPI shop last night to get new brake pads fitted. The front wheel bearings have some play and when I told them, they said they haven’t. I checked again today and they have play for sure. They are useless at that shop! Also one of the chain tensioners has seized inside the swingarm and I snapped it off the other week. I asked them to get it out and they said they can’t. Didn’t even try. Useless!

Also they couldn’t get my carb set up properly. I read another thread on this forum which raised the idea of changing the gaskets and needles using a service kit. That might be worth looking into.

RK, how much did you pay for your new carb again?

Uhmmm can anybody give me a rough estimation on the CPI SM mileage?

[quote=“jaame”]

RK, how much did you pay for your new carb again?[/quote]

I paid 4K for a used Kelin 34mm carb but it had only been used for a week on another bike. It was through CSRT so I got a good price. Carbs do wear out. The same problems were happening to me with my carb too. We couldn’t get it dialed in. Since I switched the carb I haven’t had any problems.

jaame, I would take your CPI to rk’s guy in Zhongli and ask him to do what needs to be done, including a bearings, brakes, carb, etc.

Does anyone know of a source for a rear top rack and/or side rack, and cases, for the CPI 250 SM, particularly a “system” that reinforces the sub-frame to accept the weight of loaded cases? Such systems are common on dual sport bikes, but I haven’t seen anything for the CPI 250.

An example system: TCI Denali

Jaame, another option is going to this mechanic next door to the DMV in Chongli. He is across from the park a few shops down from the DMV. He always has sweet Hartfords and CPI’s at his shop. He also always has a customers pillowing out of his shop too. I have never been there, but have always wanted to check his shop out. It would be more convenient to go there first, and see what he says about your carb. He has a round Maxxis tire sign outside the front of his shop too. You cant miss it.

I know the one you mean, it’s next to a speaker shop is that right? On Yanping Lu anyway. It’s really inconvenient for me to get to Yingge now that I have to take my daughter to school. Actually it always has been inconvenient, especially the first time I went and I couldn’t find it.

Do you notice any extra power with the bigger carb?

Mine will idle fine at 1700-1800 now it has a few hundred more ks on it… not sure exactly how many as the speedo wire broke. I went to buy a new one tonight at the CPI shop in Zhongli, on Jrguang Lu ust near my school, but they’ve changed the design and the new one doesn’t fit.

I amputated a bit more of my bodywork at the weekend. My mate who’s half Italian gave me the idea, so now I have Italian styling!

I’ll post up a pic when it’s ready to roll.

[quote=“rk1951”]
I paid 4K for a used Kelin 34mm carb [/quote]
Wei Lun claims they did tests and recommand 32max for the standard engine. You ever feel it’s sluggish at full throttle and better just under? Or maybe you engine isn’t a 250 anymore? :smiley:

[quote=“jaame”]I know the one you mean, it’s next to a speaker shop is that right? On Yanping Lu anyway. It’s really inconvenient for me to get to Yingge now that I have to take my daughter to school. Actually it always has been inconvenient, especially the first time I went and I couldn’t find it.

Do you notice any extra power with the bigger carb?

Mine will idle fine at 1700-1800 now it has a few hundred more ks on it… not sure exactly how many as the speedo wire broke. I went to buy a new one tonight at the CPI shop in Zhongli, on Jrguang Lu ust near my school, but they’ve changed the design and the new one doesn’t fit.

I amputated a bit more of my bodywork at the weekend. My mate who’s half Italian gave me the idea, so now I have Italian styling!

I’ll post up a pic when it’s ready to roll.[/quote]

Yeah that is the shop right there next to that speaker shop. I know CSRT can be a little inconvenient, but he always fixes my shit without any hassle and he usually gets it right the first time, so I don’t have to search around Chongli to find someone who MIGHT be capable. It is only 25 min from your house Jaame and a short 20 min train ride back. Once you go to his shop once you will always remember it. Actually I will be there Saturday from about 12-6pm, so if you wanted to go there I could meet you anywhere in Yingge or we could ride out there together. Also there is a scooter shop in Neili Jaames called Lion. It is a small little shop, but the owner is amazing. He did my entire scooter. He is a scooter guy, but he can work on anything. He does everything right. It is only him and he only does custom scooters and sometimes motorcycles. He is seriously a genius. His name is Jin Mao, but he doesn’t speak much English. I would gladly show you his place sometime. It is on the main rd(the number 1 or Yan Ping rd.) He is a little North of the train station on the opposite side of the street. Just past that big intersection where that intersects with “the ring rd.” You should see his work, it is incredible.

He is the guy who gets my scooters and bike past the yearly pollution tests too. He does my all my rides for free. He knows the guys there and they just pass my bikes.

Yes, my 34mm carb made a big power difference and it hasn’t given me any problems. I didn’t hook up the choke, so if I don’t ride my CPI for a while it is harder to start. That is my only complaint.

Those string of words can only make sense here in Taiwan. It’s like these shops don’t know, you don’t go full retard, but they just do it anyways.

I mean how hard is it to look up your make/year of motorcycle in a parts book or on the company website for dealers for the right part?
Apparently it’s really hard, as least it’s too hard when you go full retard… :no-no:

[quote=“pommes king”][quote=“rk1951”]
I paid 4K for a used Kelin 34mm carb [/quote]
Wei Lun claims they did tests and recommand 32max for the standard engine. You ever feel it’s sluggish at full throttle and better just under? Or maybe you engine isn’t a 250 anymore? :smiley:[/quote]

rk doesn’t have that problem since he is never WOT. :roflmao: :roflmao:

[quote=“maunaloa”][quote=“pommes king”]

rk doesn’t have that problem since he is never WOT. :roflmao: :roflmao:[/quote][/quote]

Hahaha are you sure? To answer your question Pommes, my CPI never feels sluggish. If I remember correctly the last time you and I were on the racetrack together I had just installed that carb. I don’t remember you ever beeing able to keep up with me. :whistle:

Wuhuuu Mr-I-did-10000racelaps-at-Longtan. Weighing half my weight on a bike twice as fast as mine - congrats. :bravo: And you still didn’t drop me in the mountains…
Since then I didn’t go back to TIS either but did mod airfilter, brakes, exhaust - so I might be a smidgin closer this time - bring it on :smiley:

Wuhuuu Mr-I-did-10000racelaps-at-Longtan. Weighing half my weight on a bike twice as fast as mine - congrats. :bravo: And you still didn’t drop me in the mountains…
Since then I didn’t go back to TIS either but did mod airfilter, brakes, exhaust - so I might be a smidgin closer this time - bring it on :smiley:[/quote]

Hahahaha, it is on!! You’re going down!! :discodance: I will fully admit that you are an excellent mountain rider. It is too scary for me. I few so much more comfortable on a track, especially :wink:

be safe

[quote=“rk1951”][quote=“maunaloa”][quote=“pommes king”]

rk doesn’t have that problem since he is never WOT. :roflmao: :roflmao:[/quote][/quote]

Hahaha are you sure? To answer your question Pommes, my CPI never feels sluggish. If I remember correctly the last time you and I were on the racetrack together I had just installed that carb. I don’t remember you ever beeing able to keep up with me. :whistle:[/quote]

rk, I’m glad you saw the humor. I know you race your 250, which means at the track you are either WOT or hard on the brakes. “Arrive at the apex and apply WOT”.

I’ve made a ride from my house, about 70km total with not a lot of main roads. I still need to work on a couple of extra bits to link my three loops to my house, but it’s pretty good. My CPI is running OK but the carb has a mind of its own. It only stalled once today though so hopefully I can make it last a few more years.

I’ve been to CSRT before, just after I got my CPI. I went after school, but now I take my daughter to school and also I have another kid. Basically I get about two hours a week off the family and I don’t want to use it on going to have my bike looked at.

I’ve actually got a great scooter guy with an analytical mind that he actually uses to solve problems in Neili. I’m going to get him to remove my seized chain tug bolt and do my oil changes after the CPI shop do the first one and write it down on their computer. When it broke, CPI accused my of not doing the oil changes. I want to make sure the 300km change is on their system.

Pommes, where do you gte oil changes done? Zhongli motorbike? How much?

[quote=“jaame”]I want to make sure the 300km change is on their system.
Pommes, where do you gte oil changes done? How much?[/quote]
Anywhere where I happen to pass - just for the price of the oil you pick I guess.
300??