Credit Card: Options After Marriage

While I was married, I had a credit card issued in my name with my wife as a guarantor. We closed the account in order to prevent any additional charges from being made since I was using it to play catch-up in order to keep this gold-digger entertained. Long story, no need to tell it. I used the credit card and it was taking a while to pay off…but I never missed a payment and it was closed in good standing.

My question is now, is it possible to re-open the account even if she is not present…is it possible to have this without my spouse as a guarantor? Or is it 100% impossible?

What’s the Bank’s name and I might be able to tell you.

Are you in Taiwan?
I’ve heard it’s tricky to get a credit card, but I’ve spoken to several Caucasians who managed it. Talk to the bank manager. Worst case just get a debit credit card and keep it funded.

I would rather start all over elsewhere. Try getting a secured card under your name at Mega Bank, negotiate one without a guarantor at AMEX or some merciful bank. Remember your credit history is not as importat to them as the fact you are a foreigner.

If the bank asked for a guarantor first, what makes you think they do not need a guarantor now?

In any case, you can ask the Joint Credit Office for a copy of your credit rating/history, if it might help.

1 Like

ChinaTrust. The account is still listed under both of our names…and she is still a guarantor despite the account being “closed”. I guess since I still have a valid ARC under marriage, I should inquire as to whether or not the account can be re-opened without her being present.

China trust does not require guarantors from foreigners anymore but their acceptance of foreigners is very unpredictable. If you had a card in good standing assuming payments were always on time, just apply again in your own name only and if you have the original card just attach a photocopy to the application, if not they have records of your old account. Likely you can get back in.

The card was in good standing and was recently paid off. I will check with
CTBC to see about having the card reinstated.