Credit in Taiwan

Well folks, I have it in writing. I am struggling to believe this, but here we go… (if it’s true I owe ChinaTrust an apology for badmouthing them :blush: )

Here is the text: (I couldn’t scan the Chinese)

Dear Members:
The fifteenth clause of the "Operational Rules for Banks Engaged in Foreign Currency Exchange [銀行業辦理外匯業務作業規範 第十五條] issued by the authority stipulates “When issuing credit cards for natural persons over 20 years old who hold the foreigner’s resident certificate [meaning “ARC”, et seq] in Taiwan, the person’s resident certificate should be valid for more than
one year [有效期限須在一年以上], and the expiration date of the credit card issued to the person should not exceed the expiration date of the card holder’s resident certificate”.

[I’ve checked the Chinese and the meaning is the same]

To assure your rights and interests, please provide us the copy of your resident certificate in front and
rear, 16-digit card number and your phone number for registration by March 31, 2005. If you fail to
provide required information, we are going to suspend your credit card according to the related
regulation. Your extra attention to this matter is requested.
After we receive the required copy, all the current cards will be re-issued (the old cards will be disabled).
New cards will be delivered by registered mail in 3 working days. Considering your financial security, we
request you to cut and destroy the original cards after you receive and activate the new ones. We plead
for your kind understanding of the inconveniences caused to you.
You may choose one of the following ways to send us the information requested.
Fax: 02-87805936
Mailing Address: Data Processing Division, Central Operation Department, Consumer Banking
B1, No. 89, Songren Road, Sinyi District, Taipei
Please send us required information as soon as possible in order to meet the related rules. If you have
any question, feel free to call at 02-27680505#5794 or 0800-024-365 and press “1” for credit card
service. We’ll try our best to assist.
We wish you a happy family and a joyful life.
Director of Credit Card Service
Chinatrust Commercial Bank

It was signed: “Michael C Chang, Director of Credit Card Service, Chinatrust Commercial Bank”

Great to see the irrelevant authorities have such pressing matters to deal with that they feel it necessary to pass a law on how long foreigners’ credit cards can be valid for. The people of Taiwan will be sleeping easier in their beds after 31 March 2005, that’s for sure. :unamused: