Cruelty of dog catchers on the news

Did anyone happen to video the local news with footage of some dog catchers taking some dogs off the street in Keelung?

Apparently, it was pretty brutal, with one dog dying on the spot from a broken neck. I would really like to get hold of that footage. This should not be local news.

Is it available online somewhere, or did someone tape it?

Thanks.

Sean

The dog disposal unit comes under the Bureau of Enviromental Protection:
Mr Lu, 02 24554976. The guy who was on TV was a Mr. Lee.

I think complaints from the foreign community should be heeded by the BEP. I have already written to HSI Asia and the WSPA, as both have sent teams over in the past to train the dog catchers; they should be interested in the developments.

If you want to see how the dogs were injured so badly during round up, take a look at the pictures at the bottom of this Web page.

The person who wrote to me about this matter is having success formally registering a complaint. He’s not sure of the name of the association, he was told to contact a Mr/Dr Shu (?) on 0927 599029, because apparently he can actually do something. Others have complained too.

I strongly suggest we do likewise. Taiwan has laws that make such practices illegal. This kind of abuse should not be happening.

Thanks.

Sean

I’m too swamped to do any independent letter writing, but if anyone puts a petition together, I’ll sign it.

A true story: Once I was heading up to Tiger Head mountain in Taoyuan to meet a friend for a dog walk when I saw the dog catcher truck heading up also. I sped up ahead to the parking lot where I was to meet my friend. A number of strays regularly congregate there because some kind souls feed them from time to time. :smiley: This day I get off my bike and make myself big and scary, chasing the dogs into the bush and up the hill. I know the lazy buggers in the truck won’t go too far from their vehicle to apprehend dogs; so if I can get the dogs far enough away from the road, they’ll be safe. When the catchers arrive, I was just finishing up chasing the last of the dogs to safety. I make eye contact with the driver of the truck: He knew what I’d been doing. He simply turned around and proceeded back down the road.

:slight_smile: :bravo: :notworthy:

I saw it on the news a couple days back and it was pretty bad. They lassoed a dog and tried to move him onto the truck. The dog catcher was standing on the back of the truck and trying to lift the dog into the cage next to him but the dog was thrashing like crazy and died after a few minutes.

Stray Dog,

Jiawen called me today and asked if you or Eric could send it to anyone you know who’s foreigner(live overseas) and is also helping the poor animals. Jiawen hopes they can write a letter to our government or to protest, make it as an international news, to pressure the government.

Right now I can’t access my email account here, I will forward it to you later this evening, Jiawen has the info in English, so it won’t be a problem for people overseas to understand it.

Thanks!

Sure!

Please send it to me later.

I’ve already written to HSI Asia and WSPA. I’ll send it on to them.

I’ve just sent you, Eric and 914 the email, including the videos.

Please forward them and let the world know!!

Oops! Guess they would have to eati it.

I know that this is not new but it says an awful lot (linked on the referenced site) about things here . . .

member.twt1.com.tw/od1118/01-2.wmv

. . . they were saving money I believe by using cheaper and incorrect drugs.

If you want to come into the Pets and Animals forum, post something constructive.

You’ve posted twice here, and both posts have been offensive.

Are you trying to be a childish wanker, or is that just how you come across? :wanker:

Has anyone translated the comments by the catcher? According to my wife, they were also pretty damning and anyway, if its going overseas, subtitles would be pretty essential. Can this be done?
Apparently when he strangled the dog, the guy told the cameraman (on camera) words to the effect of “what’s the big deal? The dogs are going be killed anyway.”

[quote=“sandman”]Has anyone translated the comments by the catcher? According to my wife, they were also pretty damning and anyway, if its going overseas, subtitles would be pretty essential. Can this be done?
Apparently when he strangled the dog, the guy told the cameraman (on camera) words to the effect of “what’s the big deal? The dogs are going be killed anyway.”[/quote]

We have a friend who has it all translated in English already, I’ve sent it to some of the AnimalsTaiwan.org members, hope it’ll work.

damafen, thanks very much for posting that link. I had never seen or heard about that link before. Do you know if there is an English translation of the text? Would anybody like to help translate that? Also, if you have anymore links of this type of stuff please let me know.

In case anyone is wondering it is a 7 min. video that shows you just how twisted, barbaric and inhumane these sick f*cks are. It takes a while to upload, but it is a powerful illustration of this insanity.

Be aware it is very graphic and disturbing. If you find the first two minutes tough, the next five will be even harder for you to stomach.

Wherever you are people, please support those who are taking action and fighting the fight to stop animal cruelty!

[quote=“Eric”]damafen, thanks very much for posting that link. I had never seen or heard about that link before. Do you know if there is an English translation of the text? Would anybody like to help translate that? Also, if you have anymore links of this type of stuff please let me know.

In case anyone is wondering it is a 7 min. video that shows you just how twisted, barbaric and inhumane these sick f*cks are. It takes a while to upload, but it is a powerful illustration of this insanity.

Be aware it is very graphic and disturbing. If you find the first two minutes tough, the next five will be even harder for you to stomach.

Wherever you are people, please support those who are taking action and fighting the fight to stop animal cruelty![/quote]

Apologies . . . I went overseas after the post and then the post slipped my mind.

There is some info in Chinese at

lca.org.tw/epaper/news/20031225.htm

I do not know of an English translation of the video.

It is faster to download using

home.anet.net.tw/6colorks/Euthanasia/01-2.exe

The previous link that I posted is slow and does not always seem to show (or download) the entire video (at least for me anyway).