Cycling Apparel

After my recent purchase of a Giant last week and spending several 1-2hr sessions, I decided I need to get some cycling shorts.
Where are some good places to get some shorts? I’m in the Dazhi area and I’ve been to a nearby Giant store and La Boutique de Velo at A-Mart by Miramar but selection is limited.
I would like the more casual/MTB style with baggy shorts outside with padded shorts/mesh inside.
These kind of shorts seem hard to come by in Taiwan so if I can’t find any, I’ll opt for road shorts and just throw some of my regular shorts overtop.

I’m mostly looking for some $900-$2000 price range and not interested in anything that cost $3000+
I prefer a location that is close to Dazhi/Miramar/Gangqian station area, suggestions?

[quote=“MLR”]After my recent purchase of a Giant last week and spending several 1-2hr sessions, I decided I need to get some cycling shorts.
Where are some good places to get some shorts? I’m in the Dazhi area and I’ve been to a nearby Giant store and La Boutique de Velo at A-Mart by Miramar but selection is limited.
I would like the more casual/MTB style with baggy shorts outside with padded shorts/mesh inside.
These kind of shorts seem hard to come by in Taiwan so if I can’t find any, I’ll opt for road shorts and just throw some of my regular shorts overtop.

I’m mostly looking for some $900-$2000 price range and not interested in anything that cost $3000+
I prefer a location that is close to Dazhi/Miramar/Gangqian station area, suggestions?[/quote]

I got a pair of baggy Giant ones in a small Giant shop on Neihu Road. I think they cost just over a thousand, although it was a few years ago now. My point is, I think you should try a few more Giant shops.

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“MLR”]After my recent purchase of a Giant last week and spending several 1-2hr sessions, I decided I need to get some cycling shorts.

I prefer a location that is close to Dazhi/Miramar/Gangqian station area, suggestions?[/quote]

I got a pair of baggy Giant ones in a small Giant shop on Neihu Road. I think they cost just over a thousand, although it was a few years ago now. My point is, I think you should try a few more Giant shops.[/quote]

If you’re talking about the one on Neihu Road by Gangqian MRT station then that’s the one I went to and unfortunately they didn’t have any.
I also went to the one on Tiding Blvd., I think they were more common before but might be getting phased out due to lack of interest? :ponder:

Thanks anyways, I will go check more stores tonight.

[quote=“MLR”]If you’re talking about the one on Neihu Road by Gangqian MRT station then that’s the one I went to and unfortunately they didn’t have any.
I also went to the one on Tiding Blvd., I think they were more common before but might be getting phased out due to lack of interest? :ponder:

Thanks anyways, I will go check more stores tonight.[/quote]

That is the one I’m talking about. What a shame. If I see any anywhere else I’ll be sure to let you know. Any other brands I’ve ever seen are always very expensive.

Whats wrong with standard lycra cycling shorts with a fit so tight that you can tell a man’s religious persuasion? :sunglasses:

I agree with the irishguy who said try more giant shops. They do have them. If not they can order them. Otherwise I would do what the OP suggests and get some nice cycling shorts and wear them under some others - although if ur doing serious off-roading you’ll find it annoying/dangerous when your outside layer gets caught on the front of your saddle.

I decided to go with a pair of form fitting shorts were the best way to go since I can throw regular shorts over top or wear long pants if it gets cold.

Thanks for the suggestions.

[quote=“MLR”]I decided to go with a pair of form fitting shorts were the best way to go since I can throw regular shorts over top or wear long pants if it gets cold.

Thanks for the suggestions.[/quote]

They are proven 5% faster so its a good call.

[quote=“the bear”][quote=“MLR”]I decided to go with a pair of form fitting shorts were the best way to go since I can throw regular shorts over top or wear long pants if it gets cold.

Thanks for the suggestions.[/quote]

They are proven 5% faster so its a good call.[/quote]

But when I went for a ride last night, I experienced a 6% improvement. :ponder:

You can order them from Nashbar.com, they ship to Taiwan and they have a pretty good selection.

Hey don’t knock lycra. I used to be like the op and wore the baggy mountainbike shorts thinking how cool I looked in them. But with the recent cold spell, I decided to wear my Under Armour spandex (designed for skiing) for a ride. Man it was fantastic! Kept me toasty and super efficient in the 14 degree weather. I don’t get off the saddle from start to finish so no one can tell my “religious persuasion,” except the teenage girl nextdoor when she went down with me in the same elevator.

Lately I’ve noticed that the guys I see riding in this cold weather tend to wear long-sleeved spandex under their jerseys, not jackets on top like I do. I’ve never owned any tight-fitting shirts like like that–any idea where I can shop for one? How much do they typically cost? I think spandex would help keep me dry on climbs so that I don’t freeze on descents.

On a related note, how do you keep your legs warm when it gets really cold? In the past I’ve worn running tights over my cycling shorts. They keep me warm and do a good job wicking away sweat, but I have to pull them up constantly as they ride down. I guess I could try wearing them under the shorts, although I think the ideal solution would be leg warmers or cycling tights.

Lately I’ve noticed that the guys I see riding in this cold weather tend to wear long-sleeved spandex under their jerseys, not jackets on top like I do. I’ve never owned any tight-fitting shirts like like that–any idea where I can shop for one? How much do they typically cost? I think spandex would help keep me dry on climbs so that I don’t freeze on descents.
[/quote]
Sorry, can’t help you there. I got my Under Armour spandex from a sporting goods store back in the U.S. I actually bought it for skiing but it works out great for winter cycling. Maybe you can search for Under Armour online.

I haven’t bought shirts here since I brought most of my stuff from back home.
Only thing I can think off right off the bat is just maybe going to an athletic brand store like nike, addidas, etc. I remember seeing some good stuff when just shopping around but never checked the prices.

I have not had the need to wear anything other than shorts yet for this weather, on cooler days like last night I just had a close fitting (not tight) shirt + a very light vest as a windbreaker as my torso gets cold before my arms/legs. I was ok like this for the 5min or so downhill part last night.

I bought a tight-fitting long-sleeved “keep warm shirt” (保暖衣) from MetroOasis on Zhongshan North Road on Sunday but haven’t tried it out yet. I figure it probably won’t work quite as well as Under Armour, but it only cost NT$890. It’s made by MetroOasis’s in-house brand, Asisi.

For my long ride yesterday, I decided to try wearing my long-sleeved Pearl Izumi jersey by itself. It actually worked out quite well! I did put on a windbreaker for my descent down the 106乙 into Pinglin, but for the rest of the ride I got by without a jacket. I was cold, but I stayed dry, even on long climbs. MLR, I thought last night was pretty cold–I wouldn’t go out without at least long sleeves! Maybe I’ve been in Taiwan for too long. :slight_smile:

[quote=“haokaiyang”]I bought a tight-fitting long-sleeved “keep warm shirt” (保暖衣) from MetroOasis on Zhongshan North Road on Sunday but haven’t tried it out yet. I figure it probably won’t work quite as well as Under Armour, but it only cost NT$890. It’s made by MetroOasis’s in-house brand, Asisi.

For my long ride yesterday, I decided to try wearing my long-sleeved Pearl Izumi jersey by itself. It actually worked out quite well! I did put on a windbreaker for my descent down the 106乙 into Pinglin, but for the rest of the ride I got by without a jacket. I was cold, but I stayed dry, even on long climbs. MLR, I thought last night was pretty cold–I wouldn’t go out without at least long sleeves! Maybe I’ve been in Taiwan for too long. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Haha you’re probably acclimatized. I’ve been in Taiwan for a couple years now and I find that I feel cold more frequently and didn’t find it as hot during the summer time.
But I’ve tried those 保暖衣 from a couple different brands and they’re just not for me… they do too good job showing off my stomach/waist. :frowning:

Don’t believe the acclimatization bull. Last summer was actually way hotter than this summer.

I know this thread is well old, but I was in the new Decathlon store (in the same shopping neighbourhood as Neihu Costco) and they had padded baggy cycling shorts (as well as a bunch of other cycling apparel/accessories). Extremely good prices too.

I’m going to revive this thread. I’ve hit a road block in terms of buying a fall/winter soft shell jacket.

My budget is anything from 4000-6000NT

Castelli Gabba (4700NTD)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tw/en/castelli-gabba-2-long-sleeve-jersey-aw15/rp-prod122847

According to reviews from cycling websites and chain reaction, the gabba is the best bang for your buck and lives up to the hype. My friend just bought it and says it’s amazing. Last weekend when it was around 16 degrees in the morning and around 19 degree at noon, he wore the jacket over his bib shorts and no base layer. This is at the top of my list, however, the only issue is I think everyone I know is wearing the gabba.

Velobici Guilder Long Sleeve Jersey (6400NTD, but can maybe get it for cheaper if brought back from UK)
https://www.velobici.cc/shop/guilder-long-sleeve-jersey/

This jersey isnt’ really a soft shell jacket, but according to a reliable source, it can act as one. The material is thick and breathable, but pretty sure it’s not wind proof, only water resistant. Waterproof is something I can fix with my vest or rain jacket though. Downfall here is it does not have a butt flap like a jacket.

Rapha Classic Softshell Jacket (8100NTD)
http://www.rapha.cc/tw/zh/shop/classic-softshell-jacket/product/SJK01

I know this jacket is above my budget, I originally didn’t want to include Rapha, but it seems like a viable choice due to it’s pretty good reviews and…well, it’s black. I do like that it does have the pockets and the butt flap. Only down fall here is the price and it’s Rapha.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or feedback they can give me on the ones I’ve chosen?

Do you have the chance to check some stuff from Sportful? It’s owned by Castelli, very good stuff.