Daily Photos - Part 13

Through the keyhole:
synapticism.com/through-the-keyhole/

[quote=“Xeno”]

Yuanlin first market:
synapticism.com/yuanlin-first-market-at-dusk/[/quote]

I feel like Yuanlin and several other places around TW should be taught in urban planning classes as an example of how not to build a city.

There is good and bad in everything… but I sorta like Yuanlin for some reason. What’s the most egregious offense in your opinion? Lack of sidewalks?

I’m back in Taiwan… and that means more photos of grisly abandoned things!

Hollow shell:
synapticism.com/hollow-shell/

The lack of planning. I mean the roads are straight and paved, so yeah, Yuanlin has that going for it. But there are no sidewalks, no car or scooter parking, no space for growth… They really just opened up the regulations and let people toss all of these buildings together with no consideration for what things would be like in the future. “We don’t need parking now; surely we won’t need it 50 years from now.”

To keep this post on topic, here is a picture from the 42nd (I think) floor of Shinkong Mitsukoshi tower. Unfortunately, I didn’t bring my camera so you get cell phone quality.

Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, there doesn’t seem to have been much planning in the past. Rather, the idea has generally been to just knock buildings down if space is needed for a park or whatever. A few such parks exist in Yuanlin and the entire outer rim of the city (just within the outer ring road) has been cleared of structures for the most part. I suppose they’re doing what they can, though it isn’t always effective. I’ll be seeing the new raised train station in about an hour though; that has me excited!

And to bring this back around to a photo, here’s my piece for the day:

Yuanlin sugar rail park (a good example of an urban renewal project of questionable utility):
synapticism.com/yuanlin-sugar-rail-park/

It’s like they aren’t even trying. :confused:

What, can’t you see the resemblance? :wink:

Not from Taiwan :slight_smile:

flickr.com/photos/papaija2008/

Forgetting Chinatown:
synapticism.com/forgetting-chinatown/

If you look closely you’ll notice an Asian version of Charles Manson strutting around in front :ponder:

Mercury’s dropping. Better huddle for warmth.

(Bad compression here because I uploaded it to Facebook, downloaded it, and then reuploaded it to Flickr)

My cats still hate each other but then again huddling isn’t needed yet in the south.

Donggua and Xigua are brothers (if you couldn’t tell) and afaik have never been separated for more than a day, so they get along quite well. Having two boys saves on the cost of cat toys, actually, because they take out their energy one each other.

Keelung, city of darkness:
synapticism.com/keelung-city-of-darkness/

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]Been a while since I posted Europe pictures.
[/quote]
Your shots from the Czech Republic are all so gorgeous.

Thanks! Have another:

The rest are from Austria.

Hallstatt, a beautiful lakeside town replicated almost in its entirety in Guangdong.

This is Obertraun, an even smaller town across the lake.

And an entrance to a salt mine.

I have some from France and Germany.

I’m like the worst photographer there is so I can only select a few of them lol.
Idk how to re-size the shot, so pardon me for the size of that picture of Rothenburg.

Why is Europe so gorgeous? As an American, I think the US is one of the most boring-looking countries there is.

Yeah I agree. The world is so unfair. They have it all.