Dating Filipinas

I get slammed for this alot, but I much prefer to date Filipinas in Taiwan. The English is better. I find Filipinas to be much more approachable, they tend to be more expressive and passionate than Taiwanese women I have dated, they are fiercely loyal and more appreciative of the little things. The only downside really is they almost never have time off.

In my experience, the best way to meet a lovely Filipina girl is to go to church on Sunday. Or just go to the some of the day bars down around the ‘Combat’ zone in Taipei.

Any thoughts?

Taiwantroll

1 Like

Why do you get slammed?

do you get slammed for it because it’s considered exploitative? Hard to think of a group of young women more vulnerable on this island.

My girlfriend is Taiwanese, and has all the positive qualities you mention above. Oh, and she does have time off. :wink: Perhaps you have a small sample size, as we say in scientific research.

Just curious, how long have you been in Taiwan, and how many Taiwanese girls have you dated?

Dating people based on race or nationality is so smart. And it’s a turn on too. I love it when local guys want to date me cuz I’m waiguoren.
You get slammed for it because you are choosing based on race. Not because of the race you choose.

1 Like

TaiwanTroll -
Sorry for the receprion your post is getting.
You have to understand, the PC crowd circle just waiting for to swoop down on anything they can possibly construe as non-“correct.”
Just look at it as a learning experience and continue to march.
I fully understand the characteristics you are referring to in Pinays. Intelligence and wit combined with self-respect…quite admirable.
Good luck.

1 Like

does more appreciative of the little things mean what it suggests? :laughing: [/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Oddly enough, I find myself on the same side of a discussion as TC. . . I think. I don’t know about the qualities TC mentioned, but I’ve found various Filipina, Thai and Indonesian nannies I’ve encountered in Taiwan to be very friendly, their English good and I’ve felt an odd sort of kinship with them – being foreign workers in this land. I wouldn’t choose or reject someone on the basis of their nationality, and I don’t see anything wrong, exploitive or un-PC about my view, but I’ve simply noticed that quite a few of the domestic workers I’ve met here, in the park mostly, appear to be attractive young ladies (not just physically). But maybe I’m wrong; maybe they’re not. :idunno:

Could it be you and them relate easier because they are waiguoren just like you? Compared with Tawanese women, being a waiguoren here gives both of you a pool of shared experiences/situations/annoyances from being in Taiwan.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]Dating people based on race or nationality is so smart. And it’s a turn on too. I love it when local guys want to date me cuz I’m waiguoren.
You get slammed for it because you are choosing based on race. Not because of the race you choose.[/quote]

Cultural differences exist. That’s why we call them different cultures. That’s why there’s this little thing called culture shock when foreigners come to Taiwan. I choose the people I talk to based on their nationality all the time - all the foreigners on this island do, unless you’re hyperfluent in Chinese. It’s not just because whitey over there can speak English and taike over there can’t. There’s also the shared cultural experience. I can talk about movies, music, TV, sports, politics, etc., lots of stuff back home that you just can’t talk about with a Taiwanese person. Our cultural reference points and ways of thinking are just too different.

Filipina/os are the most westernized people in Asia, like MT pointed out. I can easily see why a Western guy would rather drink beer with Filipinos and date Filipinas than with Taiwanese. It’s easier to relate to them. Conversations are a lot easier, and not just because their English level is higher than Taiwanese.

As for being exploitative, well these girls are vulnerable - just not in the way that you probably think. They are just so lonely. They’re in a foreign country where they don’t speak the language very well, and don’t have much human contact outside of the household where they’re employed - some of them aren’t even allowed to go outside or even talk to their friends on the telephone. I can imagine psychologically, the isolation can get to you. Unsavory characters can easily prey on them by showing them a teensy bit of affection.

BTW, the original poster forgot about one other problem with dating Filipinas. They tend to be very, very, very Catholic. If you start dating one, remember that in her mind it’s all leading up to wedding bells. Many of them are virgins saving it up until they get that ring on their finger. Be careful.

[quote=“TaiwanTroll”]

In my experience, the best way to meet a lovely Filipina girl is to go to church on Sunday. Or just go to the some of the day bars down around the ‘Combat’ zone in Taipei.

Any thoughts?

Taiwantroll[/quote]

There’s an old joke in the states about this. If you wanna meet a ‘good black woman/man’ go to church.

If you like Filipinas then go to church, can’t hurt unless your name is Damon.

1 Like

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“TaiwanTroll”]

Any thoughts?

Taiwantroll[/quote]

There’s an old joke in the states about this. If you wanna meet a ‘good black woman/man’ go to church.

If you like Filipinas then go to church, can’t hurt unless your name is Damon.[/quote]

I somehow doubt the Filipina ladies would compain if Matt Damon showed up in their church. Or Damon Wayans, for that matter.

Damian, now, might needat least to wear his hair a bit longer.

But what about Damien? :wink:

Most of the Filipanas I’ve met in Taiwan have been really good people. Mod Lang is right about the religious side.

I am Catholic too so it all works out.

I think it is frowned upon because some people see it as exploitative, since Filipinas are generally poor and hold menial labor jobs here. But that, in my opinion, is a bias based on bigotry. The Taiwanese are, in general, very bigoted with respect to Filipinas, Indonesians and Thais. When I was dating a Filipina girl and I went to visit her the locals were dumbfounded when they saw us together. I was advised by other foreigners and people at my school, not to date her because it could reflect poorly on my character and reputation. They just could not understand why I would want to date a ‘maid’. A shame. If they only knew.

Taiwantroll

[quote=“TaiwanTroll”]I am Catholic too so it all works out.

I think it is frowned upon because some people see it as exploitative, since Filipinas are generally poor and hold menial labor jobs here. But that, in my opinion, is a bias based on bigotry. The Taiwanese are, in general, very bigoted with respect to Filipinas, Indonesians and Thais. When I was dating a Filipina girl and I went to visit her the locals were dumbfounded when they saw us together. I was advised by other foreigners and people at my school, not to date her because it could reflect poorly on my character and reputation. They just could not understand why I would want to date a ‘maid’. A shame. If they only knew.

Taiwantroll[/quote]
Actually i believe that it works a bit the other way around as well, since most taiwanese men marrying south-east woman are low-lives looking for a servant (there was this recent story of this guy derailing a train to kill his thai wife and touch insurance money).
So from what i understand the prejudice is that they dont want you to be seen with Filipinas since you would then be considered as being in the class of these punks.

[quote=“games”]
Could it be you and them relate easier because they are waiguoren just like you? Compared with Tawanese women, being a waiguoren here gives both of you a pool of shared experiences/situations/annoyances from being in Taiwan.[/quote]
I found that, generally, travelling people end up being a much more interesting, positive, and smart crowd to hang with.
I do not consider the average taiwan-english-teacher as a traveller, though (much to my deception).

that seems a bit of a stretch.

wondering what kind of substantiation you had for this.

[quote]Personal comments: Im simple, i love to paint and watch my favorite
films at home. Im not fond of night outs. i like italian foods and filipino
foods. Im a happy person. I love to eat vegetables. I like people who
makes me laugh and people who are kind, honest,understanding,generous,
sensible,responsible and accept me for what i am and most importantly loves
children. Pleasurable activities I like visiting friends, traveling. [color=blue]Sports I like to watch or play are swimming, ping pong, fishing & hunting.[/color] [/quote]

I found this when researching Filipino women just now. They are different from Taiwanese girls if this is anything to go on. How many Taiwanese women would offer to play ping pong with you then go bush and help you kill the wildlife?

Who slams you? Taiwanese people?

In the minds of many Taiwanese, Filipinas belong to the category of “waijilaogong”, which is kind of like a lower caste in society, whereas you would be a “waiguoren” (unless you’re of Chinese ancestry, in which case you’d be in yet another category of foreigner: “huaqiao”). So they might think it’s odd for a “waiguoren” to be going out with what may be considered a “maid” or “servant”.

Well, I married a Taiwanese man, but, in general, I’d say the Philipino men are more attractive and more interesting. Very hard for a white American woman to date one in Taiwan, however. They are hard laborers with lith little time off, or freedom when they DO have time off, and intimidated about approaching a white woman. But I do understand the OP’s views about this subject.

[quote=“Ed en Vadrouille”]
Actually I believe that it works a bit the other way around as well, since most Taiwanese men marrying south-east woman are low-lives looking for a servant (there was this recent story of this guy derailing a train to kill his Thai wife and touch insurance money).
So from what I understand the prejudice is that they dont want you to be seen with Filipinas since you would then be considered as being in the class of these punks.[/quote]
I think you should watch how you generalize with this…a lot of white expats in Asia are seen as low lives as well especially in Thailand.