Dating Filipinas

So much for their strait-laced image!

About Singapore, I’ve heard that the government pays “well educated” people incentives to have children, and also pays “low education types” not to have children. Through this system of incentives it seems that the government is attempting to improve the “quality” of its citizens

Why the sarcasm? Seems like a perfectly good policy to me.

1 Like

Why the sarcasm? Seems like a perfectly good policy to me.[/quote]

Some great people have come from poor and stupid parents.

I hope that’s true, for the sake of my my kids at least.

HG

And a lot of trash have sprung from rich and educated parents. Aristocratic degeneration seems to be a law of nature. Think about a talented, intelligent, famous person. Now, try to think about how many of their children became equally successful. It almost never happens. The children of great men almost always turn out to be mediocrities.

It’s a very good point, and it IS essentially a law of nature – the statistical phenomenon of regression to the mean! :slight_smile:

They should use eugenics for this policy instead of socioeconomic standing. Hilarity ensues.

What, you mean like basing it on looks instead of money? Ugly people shouldn’t breed? Funnily enough, I find it odd that it seems that ugly people get laid more often than attractive people. I think it’s because that people that are too handsome or beautiful have too high standards, and tend to be very choosey. Ugly people will literally fuck anything that moves. That’s why when you turn on Jerry Springer’s “Sex Addict” specials about people who’ve slept with over 2,000 partners, all of them range from the dorky to the hideous.

I mean, you have this absolute toad - who’s even uglier without the makeup

laying over 4,000 women (so he’s claimed) in his lifetime. Allegedly his style is to approach random women, any woman no matter how pretty or ugly, and beg for sex, until eventually he hits one that says “Yes”. That is beyond pathetic. That’s one reason why I have zero respect for belt-notchers. Anyone can get laid all the time if they have no standards. Quality is much more important than quantity. Guys who get laid every night with a different woman, well, usually the women are of pretty low quality.

Think about your highschool. Is it the prettiest cheerleaders who right now are the baby machines? No, the girls who got pregnant when they were 15 and are now churning out their 5th kid, generally they were the chubby or anorexic or just plain ugly girls, not the attractive or popular ones.

It’s true. The lower your

a) socioeconomic class
b) good looks
c) intelligence

are, the more likely you are to breed. Smart, high-class, and intelligent people don’t have nearly as many kids as dumb, poor, uneducated people. Flame me for being politically incorrect if you will. This is why homo sapiens has ceased to evolve, and will in fact likely continue to devolve evolutionarily speaking.

[quote=“Jack Burton”][quote=“Edgar Allen”]Sandman

1. anyone who writes “tee hee” or says “tee hee” is not a man.[/quote][/quote]

Jack

Might be being a little sensitive here but that feels like a personal attack…tsk tsk.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”][quote=“Jack Burton”][quote=“Edgar Allen”]Sandman

1. anyone who writes “tee hee” or says “tee hee” is not a man.[/quote]

Jack

Might be being a little sensitive here but that feels like a personal attack…tsk tsk.[/quote][/quote]
I do it all the time and trust me Jack, sweetie, I’m ALL man. :laughing:

Nice post there, mod long. Not where I was going, but nice post.

A lot of people here tend to generalize most Filipinas as maids, nannies and household helpers. I guess, I couldnt really discredit this claim. The Philippines’ largest export is indeed its labour workforce. However, a lot of people usually have a common misconception that Filipinos are low-class or uneducated. Nothing is farther from the truth. Many of the overseas Filipino workers are highly educated (with a university/college degree), speaks great English and is merely here because salaries are practically higher than back home (an average graduate earns NT$5,000 to NT$8,000 a month; NT$15,000 if you work for a multinational company while maids here earn at least NT$25,000). Many have huge families to feed, and working abroad doing menial jobs seem to be a practical way out. Their humility and willingness to accept crap and menial jobs at least for me, is very admirable. Believe it or not, most of them are the sole breadwinners of the family.

Regardless, because of the jobs that they hold, which is considered to be “low-class” or “menial,” I’ve also noticed that a lot of people here do look down on Filipinos. For example, when I tell Taiwanese people where I am from, the first thing they say is usually, "Really? But how come your English is so good?" as if Filipinos can’t speak both English and Filipino with equal fluency; followed by, “Hey, my maid or my sister’s maid is Filipino.” Maybe you don’t feel it, but I do. Correct me if I’m wrong, but even by reading this thread, I feel that some people have underlying feeling of condescension towards Filipinos.

But why? In general, I find Filipinos to be sincere, warm and friendly, loyal and very family-oriented. Back home, we would term Filipinas to be “malambing,” which is loosely translated as “tender-hearted” or “affectionate” where they’d move mountains to make their partner’s life as comfortable as possible (e.g., I’ve yet to meet a Filipina that doesn’t cook or can give great massages), often showering you with affection, to as not leave you in doubt where she stands with you. I guess, because they weren’t born and raised with much, it’s right to assume that yes, Filipinas in general, are easily pleased. Just treat them nicely, and be prepared to be generously pampered. What’s more, there are usually no mindgames with Filipinas, as they are born romantics and usually follow their heart more than their head, unfortunately, with disastrous results if they chose the wrong mates.

Their sincerity is also very refreshing. The problem here in TW is that most TW women I met usually place, “money” as a top priority when choosing a mate. I guess, they want somebody wealthy enough who can probably afford their more expensive, brand-conscious lifestyles. Not so with most Filipinos. Though your greencard is appealing, so are dreams of living the good life back in the US, most Filipinas are more concerned of being “mabait,” meaning, they’re more conscious about the size of your heart, instead of the size of your wallet.

Plus, they’re also very fun (a lot are pretty good singers and dancers), and it should be refreshing to finally be able to communicate with someone smoothly in English. Body language can only do so much. And because they’re pretty smart, am sure you can converse with them a wide range of topics other than, "How was your day?" and “Where did you buy that bag/dress?”

What are the downsides of dating a Filipina though?

Well, for one, they’re very Catholic. Hence, you may be prepared to stay off sex until you’re married, although in modern times, a lot of Filipinas will give in with some patience and gentle persuasion (yes, there’s still hope… or at least, am sure you can find a happy compromise). Casual relationships aren’t as common, and most of them are there for the long-run (e.g., serious relationship) so think first before you leap. You’re also most likely encouraged to go to church every Sunday, so atheists need not apply.

In addition, dating a Filipina also means that you’ll be somehow involved with her usually HUGE immediate family. When you visit the Philippines, you’ll meet them ALL, and if you get married to her, you may be expected to somehow support her family in the long-run (not that bad though, cost varies). And what’s worse is you’ll probably earn the ire of your fellowmen, wondering why you’d date a low-life maid, instead of somebody your own class (if only they knew of the advantages).

Personally, the advantages far outweigh the negatives. So please do keep an open mind, and hope this helps!

Okay, going to get off my soapbox now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s because some of us only have Goose Egg to compare to.

:wink: Kidding Gus. You’re a true gentleman and a scholar!

1 Like

Thanks raventina for that well-thought off post.

I am a Filipina and I am not a household help. It sucks that misconceptions like this arise but we can’t do anything about it. Probably when they meet educated Filipinas in TW, they will give this a second thought.

I’ve been also told that my English is good and I don’t know if I’ll be flattered or be annoyed that they expect Filipinos to speak to them broken sentences. Hey, even a security guard here or beggars can speak straight English.

Okay, I digress. But please, don’t limit Filipinas you know to nannies or household helps. Muster enough courage to speak to educated Filipinas in the academe or the workforce. It’s okay, we won’t slam doors on you.

Actually, domestic helpers in Taiwan usually make NT$ 15,000+ a month. Many do make more by sidelining on their off-days. Placement fees (Philippine-side) usually consume about 70% of the first year of work

[quote=“anlui”]Thanks raventina for that well-thought off post.

I am a Filipina and I am not a household help. It sucks that misconceptions like this arise but we can’t do anything about it. . . please, don’t limit Filipinas you know to nannies or household helps. Muster enough courage to speak to educated Filipinas in the academe or the workforce. It’s okay, we won’t slam doors on you.[/quote]

No offense, but I don’t understand. Isn’t it extremely difficult for Filipinos/as (and Thais and Indonesians) to find employment and get a work permit, ARC, etc., in Taiwan for anything but manual or household labor?

I was under the impression that it’s theoretically impossible for such persons to find legal work in Taiwan teaching English, because the law requires foreign English teachers to be from US, UK, Canada, Auz, NZ. For jobs in banking, technology, law and academia, I would have thought the government would make it extremely difficult (after the applicant passed any initial prejudices of potential employers). Is that true or not? Is it just as easy for a well-educated Filipino/a to find a legal white-collar job in Taiwan as it is for a well-educated US citizen?

MT

I would imagine that in certain fields a well qualified person from any nation could be transferred internationally to Taiwan. I used to believe this about HK though until I lived in Vietnam. There is to my knowledge one Vietnamese working on a valid work visa in HK and she used to be Royalty. We have tried transferring people from the Vietnam office and it just isn’t possible. Not sure why this would be the case for the Phils in Taiwan though as the Vn, Hk situation is to do with political stability…better dead than red etc.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“anlui”]Thanks raventina for that well-thought off post.

I am a Filipina and I am not a household help. It sucks that misconceptions like this arise but we can’t do anything about it. . . please, don’t limit Filipinas you know to nannies or household helps. Muster enough courage to speak to educated Filipinas in the academe or the workforce. It’s okay, we won’t slam doors on you.[/quote]

No offense, but I don’t understand. Isn’t it extremely difficult for Filipinos/as (and Thais and Indonesians) to find employment and get a work permit, ARC, etc., in Taiwan for anything but manual or household labor?

I was under the impression that it’s theoretically impossible for such persons to find legal work in Taiwan teaching English, because the law requires foreign English teachers to be from US, UK, Canada, Auz, NZ. For jobs in banking, technology, law and academia, I would have thought the government would make it extremely difficult (after the applicant passed any initial prejudices of potential employers). Is that true or not? Is it just as easy for a well-educated Filipino/a to find a legal white-collar job in Taiwan as it is for a well-educated US citizen?[/quote]

Taiwan, isn’t tops on the list of many educated Filipinas here as the best country to work overseas. Most of them (graduates of IT, Engineering and other technical field) prefer Singapore perhaps because Singapore have a more relaxed policy when it comes to hiring qualified Filipinos and the pay is great. They pay for skill, not skin color. They don’t slash the pay for 25,000 NT for qualified Filipino English teachers and double the pay for a backpacking caucasian hippie who doesn’t have a degree but has blonde hair and blue eyes for qualifications.

I’m not sure if Taiwan multinationals even thought about employing Filipinos for white collar jobs. Others who have a degree abroad would rather work in the US (well Pres. Bush’s head chef is a Filipina) or Europe, but not Taiwan. My other friends who went to HK also experienced the same prejudice so they’d rather not work in HK, lest they’d be assumed to be domestic helpers. Because the Philippines is a third world country, like Indonesia, they automatically assume that Filipinos armed with the right degree and qualifications applying for work there must be poor,iliiterate, exploitable and will work for crap pay.

Singapore has also opened up to the fact that a lot of Filipinas working there aren’t in the nanny category anymore.

I don’t think it is just as easy for a well-educated Filipino to find a legal, non-labor job in Taiwan unless he/she is half-Chinese or already a permanent resident. Again, it’s about the prejudice. I wish they would be like the Singaporeans. And oh, we can’t really compete with the whites in a country which worship whites.

I’ll know for sure how prejudiced Taiwanese are when I start applying for a part time job.

Commonwealth had an interesting cover story about white collar foreign workers in Taiwan about how Taiwanese companies are employing more white collar workers from PI and India. Of course the reason they like them is that they can pay them even less than they pay Taiwanese.