Dating Filipinas

I’ve had a Thai and a few Filipina girlfriends here in Taiwan where I’ve worked for several years now. Most of the previous posts are generally correct about their (pinay) characteristics and good points. Yes, they more outgoing, passionate and just plain easier to get along with than Taiwanese gals and I might add, that Filipina’s and Thai’s, woman-per-woman are a helluva lot sexier and prettier on average than Taiwanese. Of course beauty is relative but I’ve been all over Asia and these local gals aren’t even on my radar compared to Southeast Asians (Pinay, Thai, Indo, etc) I think guys who think Taiwanese gals are the bomb, just haven’t been around. Maybe this is their first Asian country to be exposed to. Anyway, we could argue endlessly about which are prettier. It’s a matter of taste, I know. Final thing, yes you can meet Pinay in church but in my experience here in Taiwan, I’ve always met them in the Filipino disco’s and Karaoke cafe’s in Taoyuan, Jhongli and other northern factory cities. You can also meet Thai’s, who are just as pretty as Pinay and sometimes you can’t tell the difference until they speak. Most Thai’s don’t speak English. I speak Thai from working there previously, so it’s not a problem for me but if your Mandarin is good, you can still hook up with them and communicate that way. The Thai’s hang out every Saturday night and Sunday in the Thai disco’s and cafe’s in the factory towns like Jhongli, Taoyuan, Hukou, Taichung. Just look for the train station in any city and nearby will be all kinds of Thai and Filipino disco’s within walking distance. Taoyuan is my favorite. There are 2 Filipino and 3 Thai disco’s, all on the same street, each about 40 meters from the other, within view of the train station. It’s like shooting fish in a barrel. I must admit, however, that there is much more sport in trying to bag a Taiwanese because of the degree of difficulty, especially if you’re over the age of 30. (I’m over 40)Taiwanese don’t care for older guys. It’s hard for a 30 or 40 something year old foreigner to get a Taiwanese gal. I’m not saying Filipinas and Thai’s are “easy” but it’s just the plain truth that if you are lonely and frustrated with chasing the local women here, you’re better off to get a Filipina or Thai girlfriend. Yeah, the Taiwanese look down at them like their low-class but who cares? It will be easier to do, they will be a helluva lot more fun than the locals and you won’t be lonely in Taiwan. OK, enough rambling. Now let the counter-slams begin.

You are probably right bout most of what you wrote (cept I feel taiwanesers are the cutest asians chicks). But I know I will be checking out those places when i get back to the rock :slight_smile:

your probably right that the phillippinas and thai girls will probably be more accomodating and easier to manage then the taiwnese girls who are definitely not easy to manage (never have been either).

Absolute BOLLOCKS!

Absolute BOLLOCKS![/quote]

Well, Your Mileage May Vary, but mine were unmanageable. But that could be just me of course.

Tommy wrote: [quote]Well, Your Mileage May Vary, but mine were unmanageable. But that could be just me of course.[/quote]
:slight_smile: You also seem to attract the "unmanageable women on forumosa, too!
I agree with you about the cuties here. I’m always struck by the pretty women here when I return from neigbouring Asian countries. Of course, that could have something to do with me usually arriving pissed*.

• note for Americans, “pissed” means drunk, not angry.

:slight_smile: You also seem to attract the "unmanageable women on forumosa, too!
I agree with you about the cuties here. I’m always struck by the pretty women here when I return from neigbouring Asian countries. Of course, that could have something to do with me usually arriving pissed*.

• note for Americans, “pissed” means drunk, not angry.[/quote]

Yes I seem to have a real talent for attracting the wrong women. A real talent !!

Its like that Eagles song…goes something like some want to kill me, some want to stone me and ones a friend of mine. somthing like that.

Women with v*ginas?

Any places Thai girls frequent in Taipei?

How do the Thai men or Filipino men feel about a farang coming into the discos chasing ‘their’ women?

[quote=“cake”]

How do the Thai men or Filipino men feel about a farang coming into the discos chasing ‘their’ women?[/quote]

What I have heard is that you are welcome if you keep your paws off the goods - or at least that’s the case for Thais.

A froumosan - Mordeath - use to go to those places, and I think he made a point of not flirting too much.

Thais and Indonesian men can be a bit terroritorial, but Filipinos actually seem to enjoy setting you up with a nice Filipina. It’s the national sport. The Philippines is a pretty laid-back culture and I’ve never encountered anything but friendly vibes in the Filipino discos.

Since they all (more or less) speak English to a reasonably fluent degree and are heavily Westernized, you won’t have much of a cultural clash dating a Filipina. Not that there aren’t significant cultural issues to deal with (especially if you’re non-Catholic), but much less that dating Taiwanese women.

Dating a Thai, Indonesian, or Vietnamese woman, you’re going to have the same degree of cultural and language divides that you would dating a Taiwanese, so you’re better off just dating a local.

The major problem with dating a Filipina is that most of them only have one day off a week, on Sundays. Making time for you is going to be a serious problem. I had a serious relationship with a Filipina a couple of years back, but that was different between she lived only a few blocks down the street and had several hours every evening to come over to hang out at my place, so things worked out pretty well, and of course she had time for me to take her out on the town on Saturday nights. But like I said, that was a different situation than most. Most factory workers live a long bus ride out of town in the boondocks where the factories are and have a nightly curfew for their dormitories. And housemaids and caretakers? A lot of them aren’t even allowed to leave the house, period.

All that said, the Filipino discos are a blast even if you aren’t interested in picking up girls. They only have one day off a week and so they make it a P-A-R-T-Y. Cold San Miguel at 50NT a bottle and the places are packed with wild dancing at 1 P.M. Things cool off pretty early in the evening, usually around 7 or 8, since they have to catch the bus home to make curfew. The people are pretty friendly and welcoming to all foreigners (never saw many Taiwanese there, though).

I really didn’t care for the Thai discos I’ve been to since hardly anyone speaks English and the atmosphere was considerably less welcoming, in comparison. Plus the beer they served was this horrid horse-piss (not Singha, some crap generic beer).

[quote=“Quentin”]
Since they all (more or less) speak English to a reasonably fluent degree and are heavily Westernized, you won’t have much of a cultural clash dating a Filipina. Not that there aren’t significant cultural issues to deal with (especially if you’re non-Catholic), but much less that dating Taiwanese women. [/quote]

I have to agree with you. I have never dated a Filipino (I am a married woman), but I know many of them because where I live (in the UAE), the Filipina population is higher than the native Emirati population. They are laid back, fun, and have a great sense of humour. They don’t have any of that weirdness that the Taiwanese have in social situations, and are far savvier and wittier than your typical Taiwanese.

I always found talking to most (not all, but most) Taiwanese women quite a painful and exacerbating experience. By contrast, chatting with Filipinas is a lot of fun and just…I don’t know, normal I guess.

• note for Americans, “pissed” means drunk, not angry.[/quote]
    Shaddap you old married souse.

Where’s the peanuts?

However, there is one significant problem dating your average Filipina in Taiwan - and it’s the barrier of class, rather than culture. Social class isn’t generally a problem you’ll have with most Taiwanese women, since they’re roughly at the same level as you, but dating a woman from a third-world country, it’s definitely going to be a factor, and let’s not deny that. Most of the Filipinas working here in Taiwan that I’ve talked to have family back home that they are regularly remitting their wages back home to - and by family, I don’t mean just a son or daughter being raised by grandma while mama works abroad, I’m talking about all of her brothers and often an extended family network of cousins. If you ever decide to get married to her, you’re going to be expected to support all of them, as well. The Philippines is a pretty poor country, in most places outside of Makati.

There’s also the issue of dating a factory worker or housemaid. You most likely come from a relatively middle-class, college-educated background. Most of the Taiwanese women you’ll likely date in Taiwan will come from a similar background. What are you going to talk about with her, when you talk? Even if her English is great compared to your average Taiwanese person? You come from different worlds. I’m not saying that things can’t work, but let’s be honest, two people from vastly different backgrounds, it’s going to be a bit of a struggle.

Things were a bit different for me in that my ex came from a relatively middle-class background, had a nursing degree, traveled the world, spoke five languages - she was an educated, intelligent, worldly woman. Honestly, it did make me angry that despite her professional qualifications, as a “mere” Filipina she was reduced to working in a nursing home to make ends meet. I’ve heard of Phd.s from the Philippines reduced to working at menial jobs throughout the world. Well, life ain’t fair, is it? She eventually left Taiwan because she couldn’t take the pressure of working 10-hour shifts and being treated like a menial servant anymore. There are millions of extremely professional, intelligent, educated, talented, and attractive Filipinos and Filipinas out there, working abroad because they can’t find jobs in their f%*#d up country.

One more thing: I’ve met quite a few foreign guys in Taiwan with Taiwanese wives and a few with Filipina wives. The guys married to Filipina wives seem, in general, much happier and satisfied. I’m assuming that a huge deal of this is due to the lack of a serious language barrier, and a similar lack of a cultural barrier (that is, if you can adjust to being a serious Catholic). The handful of guys married to Filipinas, they bring their wives out with them on their drinking sessions with the boys, and seem over the moon that such an ugly guy like him could land such a beautiful wife. The guys married to Taiwanese women, on the whole, don’t bring their wives with them when they’re going out with the boys, and in general seem to have a lot of complaints and alienation from their wives. A big overgeneralization, I know, and I’m afraid I just offended a heck of a lot of people with Taiwanese wives right now with this post. I apologize in advance for any offense. I’m just making a generalization from observation. I’m not saying that many foreign guys with Taiwanese guys aren’t happy in their marriages, I’m just making a sweeping generalization, based upon my limited observations.

1 Like

i’ll agree with pretty much everything you wrote Quentin,

except that,no,you don’t have to support the whole Barkada, if you make it clear that you’re not the walking ATM then she’ll either accept or move-on.
the money she earns she can do as she pleases

also,regarding religion, i think filipinas are pretty understanding,my wife never insisted that i should go along with her to anything religious

You’re French, though, yes? And presumably raised Catholic.

I’m American and was raised Baptist. There are conflicts.

Quentin, everything you said is true. But in Taiwan, don’t most women support their families, too (when they are married to a person with money or to fulfill a filial duty)? I know many foreign men with Taiwanese wives who are supporting their in-laws and their wive’s siblings as well, paying for their uni education, etc. Plus, because of filial duty, women have to send a majority of their wages to their parents, leaving their SO to support them (and again, in some cases, their families). It seems like a similar situation to me, even though the socioeconomic situation in Taiwan is definitely better overall.

It’s interesting, actually…I was just mentioning to Mr. Indiana the other day how strange it was that you so rarely see Western men with Filipinas in the UAE, where we live. There are so many of both groups here, many of them single. It probably boils down to a social class issue here, too. Plus, there is a terrible stereotype here of Asians (primarily Chinese, but also other groups) of being prostitutes. Unfortunately, Asians in a pub are oftentimes thought to be ‘ladies of the night.’ That makes Filipinas uncomfortable, understandably. So I guess those are issues a person would need to contend with when dating. It’s a shame, though. They are a lot of fun and seem to have good values.

Fucked up situ with your gal Quentin. Maybe thats one reason that you feel you dont give a shit sometimes? It would mess me up big time.

In reference to the Thai and Filipino men, being territorial in their disco’s. Thai’s first: I’ve been in the disco’s in Taoyuan and Jhongli often. I’ve only had one or two threatening experiences from Thai men, but one of them was more personal (flirting with someone he liked) than ethnic. The other hard time was from a drunk guy but his friends quickly whisked him away as soon as he got in my face. I agree with the previous poster, that Filipino guys seems to enjoy hooking up a foreigner. They’ll invite you to their table, and get on their phone and call in some female friends for you to meet. They’re great. About the Thai’s: I speak Thai, which really makes life easier and increases one’s “find-a-girlfriend” odds ten-fold. It also helps to speak Thai with the guys and get a rapport going with the ones around me. If I didn’t speak Thai, I don’t think I’de enjoy myslf very much because Thai’s just aren’t into English the way Chinese are and I can count the number of Thai’s who speak English on one hand that I’ve met in countless encounters with them in Taiwan. One note about their occupations here: Yes, there’s a lot of maids and housekeepers and caregivers. However, there also alot of Thai massuese (mispelled?) workers working in massage places and they make more than we do, in some cases. However, the vast majority of Filipina and Thai workers are factory workers. They get 1 day off (usually Sunday) and the majority of them (but not all) have curfew times that they must be back at the factory dorms by. However, that being said, many of them find ways to circumvent the security and stay out all night anyway. My former Thai girlfriend had a curfew but she always went to my place and slept overnight. She would jump the wall, when security wasn’t around and I’de be waiting outside in the street to whisk her away. The illegals don’t have curfews and most have their own apartments, because…well…they’re illegal! SO if you can hook up with an illegal one, then you won’t be looking at your watch all the time. The best day to meet Filipina’s or Thais is on Sunday afternoon. After church mass, the Pinay hit the disco’s. Same with Thais. A word of caution about the Thais: they (men and women) tend to hit you up to buy drinks for them, even if they don’t know you, just because they see a farang with loaded pockets (they THINK). If you have a problem with this, maybe you shouldn’t frequent the Thai disco’s. The Filipinos (men and women) are not this way. They have a kind of system that works. Groups of friends will sit at a table and each will put some money into a hat, like church tithing and that way, collectively, they save money but have the ability to buy lots of drinks. Whenever I did buy some of them drinks, they would never let me buy the next round. So the Pinoy are better in this aspect. Final observation about dating a Filipina or Thai in Taiwan is that, as many have pointed out in these posts already, most of them are hard-up for money or they wouldn’t come here in the first place. Some are illegal. All are supporting some kind of family back home. If you establish a relationship with them, then at some point they’ll ask you for money to help them. I’m just stating a fact, not a judgement: they need help. So if you don’t have a problem with that (we all need some help in some way from time to time) then you’ll be happy. If you have the feeling you’re being used and fleeced, then avoid them but then you’re back to the original problem: how to get a Taiwanese girl in a relationship. All that stuff aside, I prefer the Thais and Filipinas (let’s just say SE Asians) to the local gals.

what’s that got to do with what i posted?

wrongly presumed, you couldn’t find anyone more “anti-religion” if you tried

[quote=“Quentin”]

I’m American and was raised Baptist. There are conflicts.[/quote]

seeing as i don’t know much about the nuances of religion i might not be right,but i thought that with everything being so “pro america” in the RP it would have made your practices similar to hers.

wrongly presumed, you couldn’t find anyone more “anti-religion” if you tried[/quote]

Some would say that’s a sure sign of a solid Catholic upbringing. :idunno: