Dating Filipinas

wrongly presumed, you couldn’t find anyone more “anti-religion” if you tried[/quote]

Some would say that’s a sure sign of a solid Catholic upbringing. :idunno:[/quote]

whatever

Read the whole thread - most interesting. :unamused:

There aren’t as many Filippinas in PRC as there are in Taiwan or Hong Kong, but you do come across them in almost every bar or night club. The big difference is that here, in the mainland, they are mostly engaged in entertainment industry (singers in bars etc) and are not exactly the poorest women around…

What I am curious about is this: despite all the nice things that have been written about Filippinas, I do feel that lots of people (guys, mostly) tend to think/talk of Filippinas as being “easy”, very relaxed in their attitude to sex. I keep hearing this kind of feedback (both in the real and the virtual world- the Internet). I have witnessed myself, Filippina singers going off with foreign guys after as long as a couple of hours of acquaintance. I mean…hey, they may be “very, very Catholic” (and when I was in the Philippines I did notice what a biggie religion is there) but HOW does this kind of attitude and behaviour equate to being religious??? :noway: Beats me… :ponder: What a crazy contradiction!

A lot of them feel they can do anything they want because they can just confess at church to a priest and have their sins forgiven. A very convenient application indeed.

tommy525: If you’re interested in going to a Thai disco next time you’re in Taiwan, send me a pm. I could take you to some here in Taoyuan. The “local” nightlife sucks in comparison, and as mentioned, those places are manic any time between Saturday night and Sunday night. Mid-afternoon on a Sunday is mayhem.

Other random thoughts:

I had had no contact with Thais or Philippinos/Philippinas before I came to Taiwan, but I would say that thus far, my very limited contacts with them have been great. They’ve been very, very hospitable, both in and out of their drinking establishments. For instance, the second time I went to Toucheng, after I hadn’t been in Taiwan that long, three guys gave me directions, and actually let me ride one of their bicycles as I followed them there. I was a little suspicious at first, but I got a pretty good vibe from them. They wanted nothing more than to help me and seemed pretty happy they could do so.

On one of the stairwells of a Taoyuan Thai disco, there’s a sign saying no Taiwanese people allowed. Having said that, no one has ever given my (Taiwanese) girlfriend a hard time. She doesn’t seem to have the usual Taiwanese prejudices against south-east Asians, though she’s pretty open-minded and adventurous in most things. I sometimes wonder if she’s really Taiwanese.

Last time I was at a Thai disco, I saw a bunch of quite young guys who so clearly looked (both features and clothes) Taiwanese. My girlfriend thought they couldn’t be Taiwanese, but I insisted they were, and I was curious about them, since I’d never seen anyone who looked Taiwanese (other than my girlfriend) there before. Apparently, they were there because they think south-east Asians are hot (and easy).

My friend is (white) Canadian, and his girlfriend is British (of Bangladeshi origin). They do get a lot of interesting looks from people. We were walking through the south-east Asian part of Taoyuan behind the train station and literally everyone was staring at them.

Regarding south-east Asian women working here or married to locals, a month or so ago, a woman who didn’t appear Taiwanese approached me in the street and started speaking very good English (another reason I didn’t suspect she was Taiwanese). I think she just needed another foreigner to talk to. She’d been here about eleven years, had two kids, and had to spend her time working with her mother-in-law in a vegetable market. She wasn’t allowed any freedom and wasn’t even allowed to go too far from the market, which was where she met me. She was really unhappy in her marriage, but had no way out. Very messed up.

I met a kid the other day whose nationality was Indonesian, but he had a Chinese name. I suppose he could be Chinese-Indonesian, or maybe he was actually born in Indonesia. I don’t know. What’s the deal with half-Taiwanese kids? If they’re born here, are they considered to be fully Taiwanese citizens? I’ve always wondered about kids born here with no Taiwanese parents. Does birth convey citizenship here, or is it ancestry too?

Id be happy to go with you to a couple of thai discos. Theres a lot of good people in taiwan who are thai or philippino. A lot of them live a hard life tho, with loved ones back home they havent seen much of. I met this philippina at a net cafe just before I left Taiwan. Nice gal with two kids (staying with their dad, who she is not married to) and she hasnt seen much of them in the last six years as shes been working in the mid east, hk and then taiwan. Her dream was to make enough to build a home in the philippines and finally spend time with her kids.

its tough out there for these expats. And I guess the sunday free is time to let loose for awhile. Lots of the factory girls are real cute, if you can get one. Good marriage material too, many of them.

Kids born in Taiwan with one parent who is Taiwanese automatically get Taiwan citizenship. In fact, far as I know they need to have a Taiwan passport in order to leave the island.

But if both parents are not Taiwanese they dont get citizenship. However if they are ethnically Chinese I think they can apply for residency. As long as they are not from China.

So citizenship is tied to ethnicity, essentially.

It’s such a different way of viewing it compared to the West. What of kids born here to foreigners who live here their whole lives? It’s not like they have any stake in (or even that much connection to) somewhere outside Taiwan.

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]So citizenship is tied to ethnicity, essentially.

It’s such a different way of viewing it compared to the West. What of kids born here to foreigners who live here their whole lives? It’s not like they have any stake in (or even that much connection to) somewhere outside Taiwan.[/quote]

Well they are moving in the right direction. IN the past, kids born with one foreign dad (but not mom) couldnt even get Taiwan citizenship unless they didnt have any other. Now they can get Taiwan citizenship with one parent being a Taiwan citizen.

Soon, more human rights will be recognized. Takes enough people to squeek for that to happen.

Hmmmm… :ponder: Isn’t it what they call…“double standards”?? :unamused:

[quote=“Quentin”]However, there is one significant problem dating your average Filipina in Taiwan - and it’s the barrier of class, rather than culture. Social class isn’t generally a problem you’ll have with most Taiwanese women, since they’re roughly at the same level as you, but dating a woman from a third-world country, it’s definitely going to be a factor, and let’s not deny that. Most of the Filipinas working here in Taiwan that I’ve talked to have family back home that they are regularly remitting their wages back home to - and by family, I don’t mean just a son or daughter being raised by grandma while mama works abroad, I’m talking about all of her brothers and often an extended family network of cousins. If you ever decide to get married to her, you’re going to be expected to support all of them, as well. The Philippines is a pretty poor country, in most places outside of Makati.

There’s also the issue of dating a factory worker or housemaid. You most likely come from a relatively middle-class, college-educated background. Most of the Taiwanese women you’ll likely date in Taiwan will come from a similar background. What are you going to talk about with her, when you talk? Even if her English is great compared to your average Taiwanese person? You come from different worlds. I’m not saying that things can’t work, but let’s be honest, two people from vastly different backgrounds, it’s going to be a bit of a struggle.

Things were a bit different for me in that my ex came from a relatively middle-class background, had a nursing degree, traveled the world, spoke five languages - she was an educated, intelligent, worldly woman. Honestly, it did make me angry that despite her professional qualifications, as a “mere” Filipina she was reduced to working in a nursing home to make ends meet. I’ve heard of Phd.s from the Philippines reduced to working at menial jobs throughout the world. Well, life ain’t fair, is it? She eventually left Taiwan because she couldn’t take the pressure of working 10-hour shifts and being treated like a menial servant anymore. There are millions of extremely professional, intelligent, educated, talented, and attractive Filipinos and Filipinas out there, working abroad because they can’t find jobs in their f%*#d up country.

One more thing: I’ve met quite a few foreign guys in Taiwan with Taiwanese wives and a few with Filipina wives. The guys married to Filipina wives seem, in general, much happier and satisfied. I’m assuming that a huge deal of this is due to the lack of a serious language barrier, and a similar lack of a cultural barrier (that is, if you can adjust to being a serious Catholic). The handful of guys married to Filipinas, they bring their wives out with them on their drinking sessions with the boys, and seem over the moon that such an ugly guy like him could land such a beautiful wife. The guys married to Taiwanese women, on the whole, don’t bring their wives with them when they’re going out with the boys, and in general seem to have a lot of complaints and alienation from their wives. A big overgeneralization, I know, and I’m afraid I just offended a heck of a lot of people with Taiwanese wives right now with this post. I apologize in advance for any offense. I’m just making a generalization from observation. I’m not saying that many foreign guys with Taiwanese guys aren’t happy in their marriages, I’m just making a sweeping generalization, based upon my limited observations.[/quote]

Lets not equate a degree or PHD from the Philipines with anything from the West…

Or anything from Taiwan for that matter, which is why it’s laughable that the Taiwanese disciminate so much against people from other south-east Asian nations. They’re all banana republics as far as the West is concerned. If any Taiwanese want to disagree, they only need to examine their previous leader.

Or anything from Taiwan for that matter, which is why it’s laughable that the Taiwanese discriminate so much against people from other south-east Asian nations. They’re all banana republics as far as the West is concerned. If any Taiwanese want to disagree, they only need to examine their previous leader.[/quote]

You asked a question and inadvertently gave away the answer.

Just look at how the self-proclaimed elite in Taipei discriminate against other Taiwanese people. They portray and market their own culture/perspective as politically correct, socially acceptable, or mainstream. They even coined derogatory term “Taike” and"Tai"(as an adjective) and have no qualms about promoting the use of it in public or even in news articles.

The prejudice is forced on the victims to a degree that the victims themselves embrace the prejudice and eventually learn how to apply the same prejudice on others.

TOO funny! :laughing:

excuse me!
what`s “Filipinas”?

[quote=“niki puli”]excuse me!
what`s “Filipinas”?[/quote]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipina

ha ha, intersted.
sorry about the stupid question.
thank you so much for the ur explain :stuck_out_tongue:

It was just another boring day for me (surfing the net) until I found this forum. Taaadaaa! Instantly it erased my boredom specially this thread since I am a Filipina. I love reading all these points of view coming from different people. :thumbsup:

hey id forgotten bout this thread. Since you dug a 4 year dormant thread up. Anything new on this front? Good Thai and / or Filipino discos about still?

Anything new bout Taiwanese marrying more Thai and Filipinos? More acceptance, etc?

edit: not kidding bout the support thing for your SE Asian belle. IM paying out a large sum every month to keep my baby above water. Whereas with my Taiwanese EX, i never gave her any support money or had to.

If you are interested, there’s also this thread

Compare and contrast Filipinas and Taiwanese girls
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … &p=1476668

do you happen to live in Taiwan? If so, have the observations been fair? Or is there also a Philippines version of psyco-Xiao-Jie?

^^Ohhh I didn’t notice the dates.haha Indeed, a very old thread. Filipino discos? Very much alive I guess. Yes, I’m here in Taiwan right now and the observations are fair that’s why I found it interesting to read. About the acceptance that you mentioned, I don’t know if there are some changes. I could care less about it. :sunglasses: Maybe, someone would want to answer that. Anyone?

This may have been said before but almost all of the women here have been married and I think they cant get a divorce in the Philippines. They may have not had contact with their x in years but they are still married. Divorce is almost impossible there. I had a friend who was going to marry one and once he tried to get her a visa found out from US government that she was married twice before and he gave up trying to get her into the usa. Long story but a sad one.