Deportation questions

chocolate has been deported.

what does this mean? did taiwan supply him with a ticket out? does a person “to be deported” buy their own ticket?

i am aware that all legal foreign teachers here buck up into an employment stabilization fund that is (in theory) to pay for deportation tickets.

has anyone here any experience (anectdotal or otherwise) about getting a free ticket home via this fund?

um thats a good question…i was refused entry once at CKS(blacklisted) and the police basically offered to put me on a plane to a destination of my choice ( i only went to hk so didnt really take advantage of that). but i think their reasoning was i had a valid visa and the blacklist is undisclosed so i wasnt really in the wrong in that i didnt “officially” know i would be refused entry

bear64, was it a school that blacklisted you and how did you find out that you were blacklisted? Did you get this removed and are back in the country? Just curious.

Wouldn’t they want to file criminal charges if the acts were criminal? And if so, why would they deport someone in that case?

I guess to the Taiwanese authorites deporting is punishment without having to waste time and resources in prosecution

Here is some info that I posted on another board a while ago. It may help to clarify this question of deportation responsibility.

In answer to a request for further clarification on a number of points raised, please find the following. Of particular interest in the following post is the fact that:

1. Taiwan does have policy that requires foreign nationals have proof of onward passage to be permitted to enter Taiwan.
  2. Taiwan immigration may refuse entry to foreign nationals who cannot meet the requirements under this policy.
  3. Airline companies have their own policies in line with these government regulations in checking documentation at check in and refusing carriage of passengers that cannot meet the requirements under these policies.
  4. That airlines can indeed be held responsible for the costs incurred in the deportation of foreign nationals that they transport to Taiwan in the event that the carrier has not exercised due care in checking the passengers documentation.

While these policies are clearly in place and are enforced on what appears to be a random basis, it is possible that some foreign nationals do arrive in Taiwan without proof of onward passage. Considering that you could be turned away at the check in counter at your point of departure or refused entry at the point of arrival here in Taiwan, it would seem very unwise to travel without this documentation.

First let

Along these lines, I’m curious to know what constitutes proof of onward passage (besides a paper ticket). How do you “prove” onward passage with an e-ticket, for example?

When applying for a visa a paper itenary can generally be adequate.

At the check in counter at the airport it seems that the paper ticket would be the only form of accepted evidence - if the airline you are flying is one of the ones that is meticulous about this aspect of your carriage.

A lot of governments allow deportation just because someone with the authority decides they don’t want someone in the country. Has nothing to do with being a criminal, etc. The US does the same thing in reverse: refuses to issue a visa to someone the authorities do not want in the country. Refusal to issue does not depend on being a convicted criminal.