Disaster prep?

The OP of that bumped thread here. So after 4 pages of disaster prep discussion, there’s still no mention of iodine pills? Aren’t they a lot more sensible to have than just hightailing out of here?

[quote]Potassium iodide actually protects only against one aspect of nuclear radiation, exposure to radioactive iodine 131. It does not protect generally against other forms of radiation exposure, according to the FDA.

[/quote]

As long as you are aware that they should be taken only when necessary and have limitations. Just like Tamiflu, if people start hoarding them/takling them before they are needed, thay can not only be ineffectual when they are really needed but also be harmful.

At least with SARS we could stock up on masks and alcohol -as dessinfectant, of course.

Thanks for the tip MM - I’ll check it out when I am next in the area.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]I used to think that but if the house has no power or electricity, your fridge is destroyed, and worse, you need to be evacuated out of the area, which is likely in the event of a bad earthquake, then having a quick survival pack is useful.

Fact is too, a quake could hit just when you were about to go out shopping for food, again leaving you very unprepared. And what about water? In a bad quake you simply are not going to have in flowing through the pipes.

I guess I’m no longer willing to play the odds anymore.[/quote]

The first day or two the roof tank will have enough water, after that you can buy … or get it for free
How much you want to store? 20, 30, 100, 200 liters? Water doesn’t keep forever you know.

[quote=“horo36”]

Yes, we are leaving. And I don’t suggest anyone to do anything. I just do what I think is right for me and my family. We leave to Europe. I know you cant save everyone. I am not an idealist. I am sorry for those that got or will get effected. I already had my Chernobyl in my life. Once is enough.
2000 km is nothing in these circumstances. Winds are part of the problem, they won’t stay forever in this direction. Sea water is contaminated, it means no fish anymore. Who is going to tell Japanese not to eat sushi??? No one. That’s the scary part. No one will say anything. No one wants the panic to spread. I don’t blame them. As you said, you can’t move away so many people. They must stay, where they are.[/quote]

I’m going to be blunt here … no more fish? Sushi? You mean sashimi, right?
If all people think as you do … then panic will be around the corner … let’s see … not enough planes, not enough boats … they will start killing to get a seat or spot on transportation out of the region …

Air plane filters are not radiation proof … particles will enter the cabin …

you guys need to quit worrying about the radiation. it will be harmful if your standing next to it, but if you have ever been to Las Vegas, you already have gotten more than what you will get.
No Wait… everybody panic and run for the hills… were all screwed… your all gona die… worse yet, you hair is going to fall out…LOL

Before you start taking iodine tablets …

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]
If all people think as you do … then panic will be around the corner … let’s see … not enough planes, not enough boats … they will start killing to get a seat or spot on transportation out of the region …

Air plane filters are not radiation proof … particles will enter the cabin …[/quote]

You’re Belgian? Are you old enough to remember Chernobyl? I remember it well. I walked home from college through the rain a day or two after it happened. Got home and put on the radio only to hear an announcement saying not to go out in the rain, not to drink from any mountain streams. I’m still around but a close friend of mine died of cancer last year. He was slim, fit and healthy all his life and died of bowel cancer aged 46. Funny thing is, I got to know him at college and I remember him saying he got caught in the rain that day too. He didn’t remember it but I did. Probably there was no relation to the cancer but who knows? There were no other risk factors in his life, not even a genetic link.

We’re currently monitoring the situation as we’re planning to move out to Taiwan in August. Take care, you guys, take care.

Of course I remember, I’m an old bugger … never had any trouble, it was probably to cold to get out the house in April anyways … didn’t give any attention to all the hype and warnings … and i just stopped working in a facility cleaning up, dismantling radioactive buildings and waste …

[quote=“Petrichor”]

You’re Belgian? Are you old enough to remember Chernobyl? I remember it well. I walked home from college through the rain a day or two after it happened. Got home and put on the radio only to hear an announcement saying not to go out in the rain, not to drink from any mountain streams. I’m still around but a close friend of mine died of cancer last year. He was slim, fit and healthy all his life and died of bowel cancer aged 46. Funny thing is, I got to know him at college and I remember him saying he got caught in the rain that day too. He didn’t remember it but I did. Probably there was no relation to the cancer but who knows? There were no other risk factors in his life, not even a genetic link.

We’re currently monitoring the situation as we’re planning to move out to Taiwan in August. Take care, you guys, take care.[/quote]

I know many stories like that. Too many. I consider myself so far lucky and let it stay that way.

I asked my wife to buy a big bag of white glue. And tape.
Mixed with a little water you can drop newspaper sheets in it and then paste them all over your window including frame. It can close up all shapes of openings you might have to the outside world. It will seal it air tight.
We still have some industrial type air filters which then also can be used with the newspaper method to have a filtered opening for fresh air. The Tape is for the door which actually already is air tight since I bought it to keep the cockroaches out.
Last our range-hood is set up to only push air out and does not allow air to flow back into the place. It’s very powerful also. We need to open the window when using it otherwise you feel like being in an elevator. Therefore it will pull air into the apartment through the only opening left, the filter.

So when shit comes down I’ll seal the apartment. When going out wearing an industrial type mask. When coming home stripping in the entrance and changing close, then first taking a shower.

Pretty much the same as when there was SARS. This way you can at least feel comfortable and secure when your are at home.
Like touching food, touching your mouth, picking your nose etc.

Don’t worry the glue paper can be removed at anytime but will be a couple of hard working days.

Mostly out of curiosity I called in at a chain pharmacy in Tainan and asked for potassium iodide KI (written on a piece of paper and spoken in English. The chemical symbol is of course universal).

Not surprisingly they didn’t know what I was talking about. “What hurts?” (Suppose “Japan” would have been a clue but I didn’t give one).

She then spent a very long time on the phone (I sort of assumed there might be a pharmacist on the other end who would twig,) but when she came off it she said “cough?” and when I nixed that, rubbed her arm with her finger. “skin”? “No”

Meio.

Slightly surprised. N. Americans have been panic buying in spades, and that fact, and the stuff itself has been frequently mentioned in the media, but this lack of pharmacy awareness suggests Taiwanese aren’t bothered.

Are we reassured?

I asked at a couple of pharmacies today out of curiosity as well. At the first one, it took a little while to explain what I wanted (she finally got it and then told me that the correct term is dian3 pian4). At the second shop, they laughed and knew immediately what I wanted, as several people had already been in asking about it. But at both, the answer was the same–not available in Taiwan at all, unless you get it from the government. So there ya go.

I think the latest disasters are also a reminder to keep your info at your trade office uptodate. Family and friends will likely try those places to find you first. The news in NZ keeps reporting that there are a few thousand NZers in Japan, but only 200 registered at the embassy/office. It’s hard to be found if people don’t know you are there.

Regarding keeping a supply of food, I think this is sensible in Taiwan not only for earthquakes but also for typhoons. Water can be stored for six months and you add a little household bleach in it to use it for drinking. You can find the directions on Red Cross websites. Sure, you might not need the food if your time has come, or your house might be destroyed and prevent you from getting it, but I think it’s more likely distribution channels will be interrupted and people will panic buy. I would rather be at home with a supply than have to fight with others for food or be a burden on rescue and assistance efforts. The likelihood of suburbs being cut off due to tunnels caving in, bridges collapsing, or landslides must be quite high. This happened in NZ after Cyclone Bola and my friends who had a six-month supply of food in their house for their huge family(religious belief/habit) were able to assist many people over the days when nothing could into the region.

Did anyone see the news after the NZ earthquake showing the guy who helped 20 people absail down a building. They happened to have rope in the building. During the Red Cross training here, we were told to prepare a fire kit for our bedroom, which included a rope, a flashlight, a bottle of water and some towels. (Wet the towels with the water and keep over your face and head area, use the rope to get out the window). I’ve always thought about doing this, but now I do I have a flashlight by the bed and I think the rope will be there soon, too. Growing up, we laughed at dad with his preparations but now I know how he feels.

As for the OP’s question about tickets, I know how you feel about wanting to be able to leave on short notice. When I was single I had a pretty “whatever happens” attitude, but when you have kids relying on you to make sensible decisions, it’s a different matter. I’d say have the cash or credit card balance ready in case you have to make emergency trips, whether for disaster or family matters at home. We also have cash in NZ, which is a great safety net.

As I posted before …

As I posted before …[/quote]

:doh:

I was at Carrefour yesterday and most of the instant soups, much of the seaweed, and almost ALL of the iodized salt were gone–practically empty shelves. Are people planning on eating bags of iodized salt for protection?

As I posted before …[/quote]

:doh:

I was at Carrefour yesterday and most of the instant soups, much of the seaweed, and almost ALL of the iodized salt were gone–practically empty shelves. Are people planning on eating bags of iodized salt for protection?[/quote]

Media madness … some ‘famous’ reporter probably told them to eat lot’s of food containing iodine …

If the radiation doesn’t kill you, a steady diet of those instant noodles probably will. Look at the nutrient info on the packages - the worst food ever!

[quote=“Petrichor”][quote=“Belgian Pie”]

Air plane filters are not radiation proof … particles will enter the cabin …[/quote]

We’re currently monitoring the situation as we’re planning to move out to Taiwan in August. Take care, you guys, take care.[/quote]
Two days after Chernobyl? In Belgium? Then whatever it was that killed him sure as hell wasn’t a shower of rain! Chill pill, dude! I too was around for that radiation-fest. I’d just bought a smallholding in Scotland and was planning on market gardening, until the hazmat guys came round my house and killed all my neighbour’s sheep.

[quote=“Jaboney”]Going where? Australia? Europe, Africa, or South America? Eastern North America?

Given the prevailing winds, it's likely far worse to be on the west coast of NA. [b]And your flight path?[/b][/quote]

He he…planes have steering wheel things that enable them to turn, they don’t run on tracks. You don’t think they will divert around the affected airspace? Airlines are unlikely to risk flying through, near or over a radiation emission, having to take their aircraft out of action to be hosed down inside and out, and retiring their pilots early due to diminished sperm counts.