Discus fish to be imported

Dear All,
i am looking for 4 to 6 young adult Discus fish for my new aquarium.
i have been to multiple places in Taipei who do have many however, I am not happy with the quality in offer in the fish shop here ( shape, health, sub species, fish packed with hormones, all seems stunted etc…).

So my question is: do anyone have some links for importing some from HK, SZ, Malaysia, Thailand ( i mean a reputable breeder or a well known e-shop).
I have contacted one famous one in Tainan, however, asking for just a simple price list is a hassle. I gave up on them.

for example:

1. asking for a price list and he want to know which sub species i want
  2. i want a certain size and age ---- but he suggest me a different size and age
  3. i finally choose some then he said… sorry — there are not for sale — new strain blablablabla :runaway:

So i’d rather have them imported but at least all process is smoother ( don’t want to break my head and want to choose the size, age etc… depending on availability).

Or maybe someone has some on this forum?

well found an importer down south…
my babies are coming by the end of the month ( as he import them from thailand - malaysia).

now a question that some of you guys may be able to help me with.
regarding their food, i prefer to make my own recipies ( buying fish food at the pet stores is wayyyy tooo expensive).

where can i find some BEEF HEART?

:happyrunningaround:

A quick look found this

Probably Carrefour. Or may be they’re pork hearts?

cheers-
but i would prefer some good heavy beef hearts.
Best thing you can feed your fishes-
do you think i can found some at the market?

excellent -
amazing -
thanks
:bowing:

I bet if you went and asked a beef stall at your local market they could order it for you too.

will do…
just trying to arrange everything before receiving those bad boyzzz…
one other thing … :praying:
i need a meat grinder - small version - for processing the meat -fish -prawn -veggies -fruit - oats -etc… and prepare some delicious brown paste for them.
something second hand???

Taipei Buy Sell Trade on FB is your friend!

cheers -
will ask the wifey to check on yahoo or something like that

Jeez man you are making me feel bad for the fish that kept dying on me.

Beef hearts! Who knew!

hahahahaaha
beef heart is one of the best food for fish - high in protein and low in fat ( you still need to remove all veins, fat etc… and make a paste of it — grind grind grind).
It will make their natural color more apparent too
don’t forget the veggies ( cucumber and green peas) - sometimes a bit of bananas too

fish keep dying!!!

1. too many fishes on the pet shops here and elsewhere in the world are stunted and overfeed with hormones — that is why they are sooo shiny and beautiful in certain fish shops — therefore, once you start feeding them the normal flakes they will tend to dislike it and starve to death.

2. can be the hygiene in your tank - ( for example, for the discus, i need a water change of 30% to 50% in a daily basis :wink:)
    ( for my rams, tetras, platies — one 70% water change a week ---- and now that i have bought 4 amano shrimps— a water change every 2 weeks— and free of algae thanks to the cleaning crew )

ps: i found this shop close to jingan station ( ugly, dirty, and all bad stuff) BUT, i never had a fish dying from them — while the super luxurious shop just near by kept selling me sick fish who died whithin weeks or contaminate my full setup with icks and other fungus

Shrimp were my favourite when I had a tank, love those guys. :slight_smile:
I haven’t kept fish in years because I have no clue who will look after them when I/we are not around.

That sales conversation you wrote out is typical of local retailers not just the hobby fish industry.
Basically they will waste your time by trying to bring you into the shop knowing from the start they don’t have what you want. The idea is for them to TELL you what you really want which happens to be anything they have in stock or have a good margin on.
Often they will list items they never stock or they will have a fake discount etc.

When people do that to me I literally want to smash their face in (but somehow I hold myself back or I let the wife talk to them :slight_smile:).

Incredibly unprofessional and frustrating but all too common. There are a lot of people in Taiwan who are either a) are lonely and just want fake friendliness and human interaction b) not confident and think they need a ‘shifu’ or ‘laoshi’ to teach them everything or c)too much money and don’t take care.

ohhh man — if we are talking about small fish then i know that you know they can last week without food, however , if you have some pricey fish, they do now some automatic feeders like the one for cats or dogs etc…
this can be a solution :ponder:

hahhaha, good move but i have a better one - i clearly ask my wife not to respond - so the situation is always funny as i will stare at them, they will stare at my wife and try to get any kind of words from her but she will be just staring at me… they give up under 21 seconds :runaway:

i guess i can seem scary to them sometimes — but hey they do not give a damn F…k about what i want, why should we give a F…k about what they have to say

1 Like

definitely share a pic of your tank when you get your babies. i used to keep fw planted tanks with discus too.

agreed on finding the right store, most sales are just focused on making a buck and not really being actually helpful.

will do
right now i have everything ready except the Discus–
already running a 10 gallons tank but still need to persuade the wifey and the family-
To do so i am using the special super powrful tool of:::::
‘’’’’ I am doing ALL this just for the FENG SHUI’’’’’’

because i still need to saw a tall cupboard for the fish tank to stand so that it is ‘’ at the shoulder height blablablablablabla’’’
for the 10 gallons— it is perfect but the 30 gal is pretty big AND … i saw yesterday a 50 gallons for 1999 nt$ ---- a real beauty ---- but still need to have in place the 30 gal first…

Yes fengshui! Very important! :slight_smile: