Discussion on prostitution

It seems to me that what makes sense lies in the middle somewhere. Legalize it. Regulate it properly to ensure that the problems we see now, and which Icon refers to, don’t exist. Having things out in the light will only make that easier. Empower people to make decisions about their own bodies, and make the abuses the punishable offenses. No amount of illegalization has ever managed to stamp out prostitution and end abuses. I don’t agree with WC’s initial post about this, but it doesn’t seem to me that he’s saying there is the kind of dichotomy you describe.

I’m silent, or neutral, on a lot of issues. If that’s a crime, Comrade Smith, send me to the Ministry of Love. :heart:

It sounds like another “the only other position is A” argument. :idunno:

He doesn’t seem really to want to respond to your post about that, and I’m not really sure what that means, but in fairness I read that as a direct response to someone saying he has issues.

Oh yeah, that post.

Maybe I’m just out to get the hard libertarians after all that economic nonsense in another thread… we all have issues, after all. :wink:

I tend to stay out of some of those threads :bowing:

I was referring to his philosophical position rather than his analysis of the legality of prostitution. “Women’s sexual power over men?”. I mean like rly? Yeah, I know, Lysistrata etc. But as Ben Goldacre would say, it’s a bit more complicated than that.

yyy will roll his eyes again, but I’d say the problem is that prostitution doesn’t exist. How do you define “prostitution” in order to make it illegal? It’s not as easy as it seems. Let’s say you define it as exchanging sex for money. You could legitimately argue - if you were a government that wanted to persecute traditional families - that a stay-at-home mum is doing that. What about exchanging sex for crack? Is that illegal?

You might think that’s ridiculous, but back in my favourite twilight zone, the tax authorities have the legal right to define what is and is not a transaction - because they tax transactions rather than profits - without actually writing it down anywhere (because it’s one of those ‘we know it when we see it’). When laws try to define something that defeats any logical definition, that’s what happens.

So in a way, I’d agree with his view that prostitution should not be illegal. Instead, the law should focus on (a) the various aspects of prostitution that cause social harm and are more amenable to definition (b) the failures in society that result in large numbers of prostitutes in the first place. The situation Icon describes is caused by broad and deep social failure, not an issue of legality.

Eye rolls don’t exist. How do you define “eye rolls” in order to make me do them?
:roll: :rolling_eyes: :roll: :rolling_eyes: :roll: :rolling_eyes: :roll: :rolling_eyes: :roll: :rolling_eyes: :roll: :rolling_eyes: :roll: :rolling_eyes: :roll:

1 Like

Yes, let’s decide what sex workers can do and what they can’t do with their bodies. After all, we know better than they do how to run their lives.

[quote]Canada recently passed Bill C-36, the cuddly-sounding “Protection of Communities and Exploited Persons Act.” While ostensibly crafted to keep sex workers safe, the bill has been blasted by sex worker advocates because, they argue, it was created without sufficient input from those who happily work in the industry, and is yet another attempt to further criminalize the profession. “Sex workers across the country—thousands of us represented by 20 to 30 different organizations, as well as individuals—were not listened to in the development of this legislation,” says Jean McDonald, executive director of Maggie’s, a Toronto-based sex worker action project. “The Bill criminalizes adult consensual sex. I believe that a lot of the people who are supporting the legislation try to associate it with underage sex workers or underage people in the sex industry or people who might be understood as trafficked, but what the legislation itself is really dealing with is adult consensual sex work—it’s not dealing with anything about being forced into the industry or underage workers. Even if we scrapped the entire legislation, we still have laws in the books that deal with underage persons, we still have laws that deal with rape and sexual assault, we have laws around trafficking.”

McDonald feels that decriminalization of sex work is the best way forward to ensure better working conditions and safety for sex workers, alongside education programs to challenge the stigma that sex workers face. (Legalization, on the other hand, would result in the government creating laws around sex work, which often overly restricts those in the industry.) “Even if the laws start to change overnight, there’s still not a concerted effort to see sex work as a valuable and viable work option, and to see sex workers as respected members of our community with access to the same kinds of labor protection and legal rights that everyone in Canada should have,” she says. “We should feel like we can call the police should something happen to us. People say, Oh, you know, prostitution isn’t the oldest profession, it’s the oldest oppression, and I say, well, if people are oppressed in any form of work or any part of our lives, the way to address that is not to criminalize these aspects of our lives: it’s to ensure legal rights and labour protection so that oppressions can be challenged.”[/quote]

The law revolves around strong definitions. If it can’t define something, it can’t proscribe it. Even if it thinks it can, a weak definition either catches too many people in the dragnet, or exposes too many holes and workarounds. Trying to nail jelly to a tree is always a losing proposition, however necessary you think it might be.

Eyerolls, on the other hand, can be customized to the requirements of the eye-roller without any legal repercussions.

But Finley, the jelly just needs to want to stick to the tree. If it doesn’t, that’s its problem. It’s like how Uber obviously wants to be illegal in half the world. :slight_smile:

I met a girl in Tainan while traveling, actually a lot of girls, and exchanged line contact information.

But this particular girl.

The next day she sends me pictures of girls. asking me “which one do you want?”

And sending me price quotes for different people and services. Minimum nt$4000 but she recommends nt$6000 up to nt$20000 for better (younger not grandma) experience hahaha :rofl:

This morning about 7:30 a.m. near my hotel. An attractive girl (not youngish :astonished:) dressed very nice and pretty like she’s going out at night sitting on a plastic chair on the side of the road in the middle of town.

I stopped to pet her dog and then she says “nt$1000”. She wants to go with me. Kind of odd to see a girl with nighttime makeup at 7:30 in the morning. I was wondering maybe she just left from being somewhere with a customer but she is on this plastic chair like like this is her spot.

1 Like

I didn’t know it’s so cheap in Taiwan. Maybe just in Tainan? I suspect Taipei is more expensive.

Maybe they’re doing special pandemic rates.

5 Likes

I think it’s all relative. Taiwan seems to be nt$4000 to 10,000 and up and per one or two hours.

So in Taiwan that’s ~US$130-300 for an hour or two.

Relatively, southeast Asia ~US$40-120 all night.

And of course there are the randoms on the side of the street that will do anything for anything.

So I’ve heard.

I hear business is doing well online and social media. Like a typical supply and demand market, high prices and lots of discounts.

I hope they mask up and use protection.

They say delivery is much safer than going to a location with lots of people, it is recommended that everyone wears a mask, that testing is common, that real name registration is okay, etc.

I wonder if they have a QR code?

Petting her dog and suddenly she wants you to pet her pussy.

What’s the dog’s role in all this? Did he have a fur hat?

During the height of the infection the British Columbia Ministry of Health suggested people use safer means of sex; one tip was to use a gloryhole- made me proud to think my government is looking out for me

2 Likes

Taiwan number 1 (Asia).

Also, one of the most profitable of any country, which is why many girls do it, why many girls come from other countries, why gangsters do so well, and why government let’s it go.