Do non-Americans have trouble understanding American English

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]On a side note, I thrill to the sound of a polished British RP accent, but I can’t say I’ve ever found very much pleasing to the ear about any kind of American accent. Of all non-British English accents, my favourite by far is the lilting tones of Singaporean English.[/quote]I like a lot of different accents. Of U.S. American accents, I like some New York and southern ones. I do like Singaporean and Malaysian ones, but also Indian and Pakistani. My father has lived in England for a great many years but comes from Glasgow. Apparently when I was very little I also spoke with a recognisably Scottish accent. I still find Scottish accents and Glaswegian ones in particular very soothing to listen to. I can even understand and enjoy listening to most of Rab C. Nesbitt’s rantings. And why do so many people have it in for the Birmingham accent? I find it very pleasing to listen to, especially when spoken by a comely Brummie lass.

You can listen to examples of English speech by both native and non-native speakers from many countries here;
classweb.gmu.edu/accent/

Of the non-native speakers I really like the Brazilian accents, particularly the one from Bahia. But then I think that Brazilian Portuguese is one of the most beautiful-sounding and expressive languages in the world.