Do people drive cars on roads like this?

EDIT: disregard this. All google map roads look insanely narrow to me, even ones I’ve driven down and are familiar with. The picture literally looks less than 2 metres wide for me. So either I’m having some resolution issues, or my eyes have gone to shit.

… they do, don’t they? :frowning:

Why wouldn’t they? I’ve driven on roads far worse than this both in Taiwan and in other countries. If it’s sufficient for the volume of traffic using it then what’s the problem?

I’ve never driven in Taiwan. What do you do when a car is coming in the opposite direction?

Yes, people definitely drive on roads like this. Not fun when tourists also swarm the narrow roads meant only to carry produce off the mountain.

Find somewhere to pull in and let them pass.

That’s a very nice road and there are a lot like that outside the cities. Much worse can be found in Taiwan.

I’ve ridden roads like that and much worse. Problem is when a car runs into another vehicle.

Thebigger one goes first. Especially if it is a double decker tour bus. Those usually flip over in roads like this.

That road would be considered high scale in the ol country, but it woukld need a couple potholes. It is typical -no sidewak, no gutter. No place to park to change a tire or pull over in case of emergency. A couple cows grazing on the side would be a nice addition. Oh, and no signs of any dort, or markings. Road paint? What’s that?

Here in Taiwan I am always amazed as even the farthest loney road will have some road paint and signs and stuff. From the smallest alley in teh city to the loneliest intersection.

Apparently I’m from the land of super wide roads, since people are bemused by my questions on this.

I don’t see anywhere to pull in. I suppose one of the vehicles could drive into the valley.

There actually looks like enough space. The car on the right pulls right next to the mountain. The car on the left passes it, going maybe on the small space of dirt past the white line. They pass within 1 or 2 centimeters of each other.

I mean this is a tolerable road on the mountains… Sometimes half of the road would have fallen off the cliff…

1 Like

hmm. That’s not so bad then. For some reason I seem to be underestimating how wide that road was. It looked barely wide enough for one car.

I’m sure the good drivers of Taiwan traverse these roads at reasonable speeds as well, always mindful that there might be another vehicle traveling in the opposite direction around the corner…

Two cars can fit on that road. Doesn’t seem like it, but it’s doable.

When you are going around blind corners, honk your horn a few times to signify you’re coming around the corner. Not rude, definitely a safety precaution, I saw some people taking in which I eventually picked up when I started driving.

::EDIT::

Unless there’s a major tourist attraction at the end of that road, you won’t see a lot of tour buses on those kinds or roads.

1 Like

[quote=“Icon, post:8, topic:160413, full:true”]
Especially if it is a double decker tour bus. Those usually flip over in roads like this. [/quote]
That’s the correct, government approved maneuver, is it? :slight_smile:

I was in the UK recently and a lot of the country roads are like that. Sometimes you have to reverse 100 meters or so and find a passing-place. Whoever just passed a likely spot is expected to reverse. It does make me nervous though: even there (where driving standards are supposedly high) people come belting round blind corners much too fast to stop on a dime.

This is the road to my home… luckily very few other vehicles on this road

People drive more than cars. Trucks too. And they wont generally back up for you: if you’re the smaller vehicle, you need to reverse which can be fun up a steep hill.

Would be even more fun trying to reverse the truck…vehicles travelling uphill have right of way over those travelling downhill under the rules of the road anyway.

Why? because that’s what the convention of Vienna says? that convention that Taiwan does not follow? :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s in the Taiwan rules of the road.

Which the people of Taiwan do not follow.