Do you think English should be Taiwan's second official language?

I believe the government would have to provide all resources in both languages, including application forms, websites, laws and whatever else it provides to public.
Kind of changing from “nice to have” to “must have” English versions of everything. It would definitely be a great help for us!

I don’t disagree with you on principle. Korean shit is hot right now - it has been for a while. Is it sustainable? Who knows.

The one thing I’m reasonably certain of is Taiwan’s growing draw as an English-learning destination for both Korean and Japanese students. While the Philippines has been basically running the cheep-seat racket for the last decade, numbers indicate that more and more SK and JP kids are coming here. [Please forgive the lack of immediate source citation here; I just read two fuckin’ articles on the subject but didn’t think to bookmark them.] Why? First of all, it’s not the Philippines, which is a great vacation spot but pure hell for an ESL student. I talk to them in the bar on Makati Avenue every time I’m home. They say it’s great for partying but their English is probably getting worse.

Anyway, in keeping with the English theme, if anything is going to save the language acquisition industry in this country, it isn’t going to be a sudden tsunami of non-existent local kids. It’s going to come from outside, hence, SK and JP.

Meanwhile, long time ago I had a choice of (Asian) languages to study and my first pick was Korean, mainly cuz I had a crush on the Korean girl at my dry cleaners. Enrolled in the course and lasted one day. Terrible, horrible - second only to Russian ugliest language on the planet. I transferred to Cantonese the next day, which isn’t exactly a romantic language, but a lot easier to learn than Hangul or whatever the fuck it’s called.

Finally, adopting a “trendy” language isn’t really a long-term, forward thinking move. It’s more of a “let’s capitalize on this shit right now” opportunistic posturing that wouldn’t bring a lot of Return on Investment. English has far deeper roots and that would be foolish to dig up now.

Historically, Japanese would make the most sense, and I think aesthetically, at least, I’d much rather see and hear it than any other Asian language.

They should do like Singapore and require everyone to learn two languages and let the people pick the second language.

Now I’m imagining everyone in Taiwan speaking Singlish…the humanity…

Oh, they do know. Problem is that the English version is not service oriented, but rather, a song of praise to whoever the top boss is… Most pages anyways have not been updated since last century.

1 Like

You no like Singlish, is it? Singlish also can lah!

I was being facetious about Korean, but I wouldn’t put something like that past the pencil pushers. In the end, though, I don’t think anything will come of the second official language plan. Han chauvinism will probably win out in the end.

But the idea of Taiwan as an ESL destination is so counter-intuitive that it just may work according to Asian logic. It’s kind of like how ESL books from Japan are popular in Taiwan because…well, everybody knows that products from Japan are high quality. Never mind that our neighbors to the north have the worst English in the universe. If English were to actually become Taiwan’s second official language (wink wink), that’s probably all the reason Koreans and Japaners would need.

[quote=“super_lucky, post:22, topic:159881, full:true”]
…the Korean girl at my dry cleaners.[/quote]

Wow, that’s pretty racist.

That’s how I read Chinese…is it a Jian or Qian…fuck it close enough I got the idea.

So Koreans aren’t allowed to own dry cleaners? Why are you trying to limit their ability to achieve the American Dream?

A Chinese equivalent of that letter swapping trick is actually…

漢字序順並不定一影閱響讀
比如當你看完這句話後
才發這現裡的字全是都亂的

What’s interesting here is that the basic unit for reading a language written in the Roman alphabets seems to be word by word, while the basic unit for reading Hanji seems to be a full sentence.

1 Like

Unless I missed a joke in the backwash up there, I never said who owned the fuckin’ joint. Geez, Rocko. Cut me some slack. And for the record, she was just a girl who happened to be Korean and worked in a dry cleaners when she wasn’t attending film classes at the Academy of Art. If she had been cute and Iranian maybe I’d be speaking Farsi right now. Am I the first guy to try learning a language with somewhat ulterior motives? I wound up dating her for a while. She also had a tongue piercing. Is that racist? P.S. That particular dry cleaners was on the edge of Chinatown in S.F. and most definitely Asian-owned, like the majority of shit in that part of town.

1 Like

Recognized as bullshit for 10 years now.
:roll:

Ist’ not ttoal blulhsit toughh.

1 Like

Not very scrambled? Try getting a computer program to comprehend the entire context of these not very scrambled texts, and you’ll find it’s not that easy (though a lot easier now especially with neural networks).

The fact that our brain can understand semi-scrambled texts naturally says a lot about how the human brain perceives things.

Pay Rocket no mind, she’s a textbook SJW.

I’d always assumed Rocket was a male, although I may not have a talent for sexing raccoons.

LOL, that would be sad considering Rocket’s posts.

Ockert never impressed me much.