Do you think English should be Taiwan's second official language?

Why English and not Taiwanese?

Apparently it didn’t originate at Cambridge, but someone at Cambridge took an interest in it.

[quote=“Matt Davis”]This text circulated on the internet in September 2003. . . . It struck me as interesting - especially when I received a version that mentioned Cambridge University!

There are elements of truth in this [meme], but also some things which scientists studying the psychology of language (psycholinguists) know to be incorrect.

Update:
I’ve found a www page that tracked down the original demonstration of the effect of letter randomisation to Graham Rawlinson. Graham wrote a letter to New Scientist in 1999 (in response to a paper by Saberi & Perrot (Nature, 1999) on the effect of reversing short chunks of speech). In it Graham says:

Rawlinson, G. E. (1976) The significance of letter position in word recognition. Unpublished PhD Thesis, Psychology Department, University of Nottingham, Nottingham UK.[/quote]

https://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/matt.davis/cmabridge/

Matt Davis is [a? the?] Senior Medical Research Council Research Scientist at Cambridge University.

http://www.neuroscience.cam.ac.uk/directory/profile.php?MattDavis

There’s some other scientific stuff on the 'net along those general lines.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Mac Davis

Taiwan may as well be the 52nd states of the US, since almost every Taiwanese of the upper class has some sort of American fever.
Yeah, makes English the official language and lingua franca to replace Chinese. I don’t mind, for I’m proficient in both language.

I can’t say anything against it. Even if the government didn’t make a big deal out of it, just the awareness that English has been made an official language might somehow help boost English fluency levels here, assuming greater fluency is what the folks here want.

I’m in favor of more English, universal language and all that…

But (1) this proposal is a pipe dream, and (2) a blanket policy would result in more bad translations and more misunderstandings.

A more practical soltuion (still a dream, but perhaps not from a pipe):

1. Put together a list (with input from all levels of government, NGO’s, and the general public) of services, signs, and publications that are not offered in English (or not being updated) and figure out which ones would be most beneficial to the general public and for the achievement of the government’s goals.

2. Hire native speakers to proofread everything. (I don’t care how lofty a person’s qualifications are! If the Council of Grand Justices can’t figure out what’s wrong with the official translations of its decisions by other lofty persons, that means loftiness is being squandered on both sides.)

1 Like

Well, why not work it like this?

[0. Make English the second official language.]

You mean make English “official” but not equal?

I’m thinking in Canadian terms, i.e. two official languages means two equal languages, and failure to provide the same level of service in either language results in lawsuits, plus the lower levels of government set additional rules, so you get the language police in Quebec telling Italian restaurants to translate strange foreign words like spaghetti into French, and so on…

I suppose it doesn’t matter what you call it, except in symbolic terms, but symbolism is important in politics, and any perceived slight against Taiwanese cultural identity would not go down well with the electorate.

1 Like

I was merely proposing one item of a to-do list to combine with your two items. I figured that that item, if resolved upon but not acted upon, might sort of stare disappointedly at the country (the way my personal to-do list items used to stare at me–I say “used to” because I rarely make to-do lists anymore, but that’s another subject), which would, I think, increase the likelihood that the country would eventually take action.

But disappointed stares aside, in my experience it’s kind of hard to meet a goal if I don’t set a goal. I think it might work that way for nations as well.

Besides, it ain’t like it’s some shockingly novel idea:

[quote]In a bid to increase Taiwan’s competitiveness, Premier Yu Shyi-kun yesterday promised to make English the nation’s second semi-official language over a period of six years.[/quote]–Ko Shu-ling and Lindy Yeh, “English to be made official,” Taipei Times, May 1, 2002

They don’t even hire native speakers to proofread English textbooks or tests like TOEIC, TOEFL, etc. XD

We can dream.

1 Like

Maybe Ms. English should appoint a special “English Task Force” or something…

Ain’t going to happen. Very little political gain; very large political cost, with speakers of Taiwan’s myriad other languages almost certain to be (rightly) pissed off.

Guy

You’re killing me man…

1. All
  2. We do. Someone upstairs thinks they know better. And I am not talking about God.

Yes, so we should petition the Feline Yuan to fix it and install you as the new Upstairs. :smile_cat:

(I think you need to get your citizenship first though.)

1 Like

And wait 10 years.

1 Like

If that ever happened, wouldn’t they have to drop the Chinese requirement for citizenship?

Ah, yes, but you would need to pass the test in one of the two languages, and surely the English test would be… difficult. :wink:

I think I understand why speakers of Taiwanese would be upset. I wouldn’t agree with them, but I would certainly see their point. It seems to me that the purpose of a second language would be an extroversion as opposed to an introversion. The Taiwanese language is great, if you speak Taiwanese. To me, it seems a second official language would be to bring more people in; not to exclude them. It seems like a weak attempt to “open Taiwan to the rest of the world.” On a national level, it’s kind of odd to see the generational divide between non-speakers of Taiwanese and whatnot. If they were to adopt a second official language, it really should be Taiwanese. However, I don’t think this political posturing has anything to do with national identity.[quote=“Super_Fire, post:37, topic:159881, full:true”]
Pay Rocket no mind, she’s a textbook SJW
[/quote]

This is not a truly original thought, but when did being a warrior for social justice become pejorative? Now, this has nothing to do with @Rocket, cuz I know he’s just doing his thing over there and most likely doesn’t have the weight of the world on his shoulders. But I have this friend back home - one of my oldest grade school chums - who’s a pro bono lawyer in one of the most dangerous cities in the U.S., and this cat basically lives and breathes social justice. He represents the people nobody wants to represent. And when he sees something wrong, egregiously wrong, he stands up and says, “Fuck no.” I don’t see how I could possibly cast his personal crusade in a dim light. I wouldn’t dream of making a meme of him. I think we need more people like him in the world. I don’t see a reason to spite a righteous man - when he’s being righteous.

Now, I can also see the motivation for scoffing at a so-called warrior for justice, much in the same way I see uneducated hillbillies throwing shade at “liberal elites”. Granted, the SJW world is full of hypocrisy. What world isn’t? I’m just wondering when it became wrong to want to see something right in the world for a fuckin’ change, you know?