Do you think English should be Taiwan's second official language?

[quote=“super_lucky, post:64, topic:159881, full:true”]
Now, this has nothing to do with @Rocket, cuz I know he’s just doing his thing over there and most likely doesn’t have the weight of the world on his shoulders.[/quote]

No kidding. Most of it’s around the midsection.

I often wonder how you played guitar with those paws. Did you just kind of scratch at it? None of this is helping the fact that I’m reading all of your posts in Bradley Cooper’s voice. That was a fuckin’ letdown, brother. I watched that whole damn movie, liked it some, came to the credits, see that guy’s name…

[quote=“super_lucky, post:66, topic:159881, full:true”]
I often wonder how you played guitar with those paws. Did you just kind of scratch at it?[/quote]

FUCK that piano playing cat…

Well, it’s because most SJWs aren’t really fighting for social justice out of genuine concern; it’s more like a coalition of privileged but unattractive white women lashing out at men for not inviting them to the dance and using minorities as pawns to shame white guys (“Look what your ancestors or people who look like you did to them! For shame!”)

It’s not like they’re fighting segregation or some other legitimate grievance.

1 Like

Still waiting you to show me your famous cat… :whistle:

Good idea, or maybe Ms. English should appoint three or four task forces.

Look at what happens when people register for an English course, or for any kind of course, for that matter. They buy or borrow textbooks, they usually have to pay money, they have to attend class, do homework, study for exams, etc.–stuff my dad (1916-1995) used to call hoo-raw.

And for some people it works, and for some it doesn’t work, and a case can be made that there’s a lot of wasted motion, and maybe even something that looks suspiciously like quackery to some. But for some reason, it seems that over time, people have concluded that a certain amount of hoo-raw is necessary for accomplishing some things, including learning a language.

So yeah, maybe she should appoint three or four, or maybe even five or six task forces, now that I think of it, just to make sure there’s enough hoo-raw.

Given how the local English testing industry likes to make up grammar rules that don’t exist in English, such a test could indeed be difficult for a native English speaker. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Jesus you ain’t joking. There’s a translation agency out there (a newer, cloud-based one) that used to have online testing for free-lancers. I failed three times to pass because its tests were obviously written by a deranged non-native grammar Nazi. One answer wrong and you was out. Finally passed and there was a further test which it goes without saying I also failed.

Speakers of Hakka and aboriginal languages have just as much right to be pissed off at not being official languages.

1 Like

I just had a look around the 'net and noticed that a pretty good number of countries have several official languages. Some seem pretty well off and some not so well off, so just at a glance, I can’t see help or harm in having more than two official languages.

But I don’t see anything wrong with it–Taiwanese, Hakka, the aboriginal languages, English, and maybe others–why not?

Yes, it should. It’s a sensible and fair solution to all the different ethnic groups living on the island.

Can we have a South African weigh in on this?

In my Googlings, I saw that South Africa has quite a few official languages. Impressive!

I’d like to hear what South Africans have to say about that.

Hell, forget about Taiwan…lets push for Mandarin becoming the US’s mandatory second language - this makes more sense!!!

1 Like

That makes more sense