Doctors, Illness, and Universal Healthcare

So I have been to the doctor a few times here in Taiwan and I have noticed something peculiar: the doctors do not spend much time evaluating you. They just kind of guess what might be the problem and send you off with medicine or do some physical therapy. On two occasions I was asked to return over and over again so that they could continue treating (what they believed to be) my condition. Do you think doctors are milking the healthcare system so that they can make more money by treating people over and over again? Also, do they really believe that eating fried food while you are sick is bad for you, etc…?

No the doctors are sick of people coming in and milking the health care so they have to see 100 people who are just old or could benefit from taking a acetaminophen and resting. I almost go to a out of pocket doctor if I’m serious about getting some quality healthy care. I will say it’s amazing if you are seriououly I’ll and have cancer. My mom didn’t pay a dime for her stage 3 cancer besides a private VIP recovery room. And doesn’t have to pay to see a doctor and medicine for the next 5 years.

Not at all. If it is something they believe to be serious, they will treat it. If you have a rash that feels warm, they will order a blood test and tell you to wait for an hour or so. Then they will start you on a proper course of meds.

If you are complaining of a headache or muscle ache, but have nothing else spectacular, then they will give you Tylenol and tell you to come back if it continues. No sense in ordering a round of tests when they may not be necessary. IF you want a second opinion, go to another doctor at another hospital. Overall, I have found that doctors will spend as much time as necessary with a patient.

What? I have often wondered if the quality of care would change if I was to pay out of pocket. But to me, it seems pretty good as is.

This is what I mean. Serious yes, but most cases they just guess and send you on your way. For physical therapy that is not for old people like giving you a light massage and rubbing your feet and heat pads… don’t even think about it with NHI.

Its a conspiracy. They are taught not to question doctor’s opinions and most (all) Taiwanese have little understanding of how the body works. Today I told a doctor that I believe I have a condition called bursitis in my hip. I was fairly certain of this diagnosis because all of the symptoms fit and I could tell it was a pinched nerve that was causing the pain. The doctor concluded that I had a muscle strain and needed electrical stimulation for 40 minutes. I ain’t got time fo that!

I’m confused. I did some rehab for a slipped disc and NHI paid for it. I had to cough up NT$50. But it came with heating pad, electrodes, traction, the works.

Those Things are for old people. I’m talking about actual physical therapy that gets me moving. I can just rest and take a hot bath if I’m gonna get a stupid heating pad.

No doctor likes to be second-guessed by Google. Be it an American doctor, or Taiwanese. Hell, no professional likes to be second-guessed. While no doctor will have all the answers up front, I believe they give as good a go as any Western doctor would. I have been told to return anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to see how things are going. In the interim, if it gets worse or no improvement, come back sooner or go to the ER, or go to another doctor.

I am only 46!! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Haha I’m not calling you old. If it worked for you great. I’m just tired of going to ones that look at me and say you’re a strong young man. Just rest and rub this minty cream and you’ll be ok. I haven’t been ok for a long time. My knees are horrible and I honestly can’t sprint and jump some days. I’m working with one now and it’s helping. But tor me it’s a chronic issue, so I’ve been battling it so it doesn’t help when a doctor gives me some cream and tells me to rest. Like I haven’t done that before.

I usually wouldn’t second guess a doctor either but it seems clear to me that they have structured their diagnostics to increase profits. I don’t blame them either because we know that the doctors are in a terrible position because the government won’t provide them with adequate funds to run their business. Doctors here can’t hold a candle to American doctors, who also milk the insurance companies.

I guess we are just seeing two sides of the same coin.

Have you been to a skin doctor lately? They rake in the cash. They hire Trump as their personal ass-wiper. They get paid.

I see your point. The main advice they seem to give is lose weight and quit smoking. If you are not fat, or don’t smoke they will go down the list of vices till they find one and tell you to stop that.

Now I get it. I haven’t had that yet. Maybe that is saying I look weak and pathetic. The first doctor in TW I went to did more to diagnose my problem than the US doctor did. TW said I have a collapsed disc, which is pressuring my sciatic nerve which is giving me numbness in my left leg. He recommended surgery, but said it was very risky as one slip…so I got on, not rehab per se but permanent treatment that after 12 weeks I got tired of going to because it wasn’t working. And the pretty therapist who assisted me got moved to hours I could not attend anymore.

I’ve had a rash on my pointer finger since I arrived in Taiwan. Six months of treatment and it still recurs. I do find it amusing that they tell me not to eat fried food when I have a cold. Don’t want to shit your pants when you cough!

1 Like

Its almost like this…

Lose weight, and quit smoking. But I do not smoke.

Do you drink a lot of alcoholic drinks? No.
Do you chew betel nut? No.
Hmmm…
Do you wear white clothes after labor day? Yes.
OK, you need to stop doing that, then you will be better.

But what does all this have to do with having a stubbed toe?

It’s a message…F’k off with your stubbed toe and stop wasting resources.