Does anyone order from iHerb? Custom fees? (and other US vitamin/supplement shops)

I’ll swap my shower cap for more clothes pegs. They’re solid, chunky good-looking pegs.

Latest order came, 17 days from ordering to arriving at my door. Pretty good for the $4 shipping option.

My cat is really loving these, hopefully they help his stiff back legs:
http://www.iherb.com/zuke-s-hip-action-cat-treat-chicken-formula-3-oz-85-g

We have temporarily upgraded all current & new iHerb accounts to VIP status!

This means that all customers will receive the following extra discounts once they have signed in to their iHerb account:

• 5% off any order less than $60
  • 10% off any order of $60 or more
  • 12% off any order of $80 or more
  • 14% off any order of $120 or more

This special VIP offer expires March 31st, 10 a.m., Pacific Time.

best-online-supplement-store.blogspot.com

Customs is trying to hustle me right now because I ordered some fennel and dill seeds for cooking. They are saying that I can pay 1500nt to get my order released to me or I can pay 1500 to send the shipment back to iherb. They are saying if I don’t pay that they will seize the shipment. So ordering seeds through iherb is a bad idea.

How much was your order? Was it over $3000nt?

I must’ve made 30+ orders through Iherb (<$3k, normal + express shipping), and I can’t recall ever paying custom taxes. Granted i’ve never ordered fennel seeds, but have ordered sunflower seeds, macadamia nuts, & pumpkin seeds)

It was barely over 3000. Maybe 3300. If they wouldn’t have listed the seeds I’d be fine. Last time I got celerey and mustard seeds and nothing happened. I guess I just had bad luck this time.

Make sure the total is well under 3000. Aside from exchange rate fluctuations legally they can tax you even if it’s 1nt over 3000.

I still had a “random” inspection once under TW$3000 (no tax though), but over that amount they will look at it every single time and tax it a minimum of 20%. With the current shipping fees you will always be better off splitting orders to keep it under $3000 rather than pay the tax.

Yeah I know, but this isn’t a tax. They are charging me extra money because I tried to import seeds. Not because I went over the 3000nt threshold. They basically said that I have to pay 1500 to receive the package or ship it back. Otherwise they would confiscate it.

That happened to a friend of mine. She was charged about 1500 NT because she ordered chia seeds. It was a fine, not a tax (according to the customs people). So it seems that seeds are a no-go if they find them in your packages.

I think most countries have strict laws regarding seeds. In Australia it would have been a huge fine in addition to seizure,

I heard there’s a new law coming into effect that anything considered medicine or whatever requires an import permit before shipment. The problem is that could be something that’s considered supplement in other countries. It said failure to comply can result in a prison sentence of up to 10 years.

Can someone point to a list of what stuff is considered medicine rather than supplements in Taiwan?

Vitamins. Painkillers like Tylenol. Bunch of stuff. Really problematic. But apparently it has to do with limiting the number of bottles/pills you can bring in. Let’s wait and see.

Linkie: chinatimes.com/newspapers/20 … 851-260114

Got a 10 usd discount that expired today. Should have ordered more stuff. But at least I got practically “free” delivery. Hope no taxes, though.

No basically the limit only applies to carrying it with you on a flight. For postal shipments a permit is required no matter the amount.

I read in the comment part of the news that people thinks these laws are meant to make sure pharmaceutical distributors and manufacturers make profit…

Every year I order vitamins from my previous company. To avoid custom duties orders must be max 12 bottles and only 2 bottles for each type (e.g. 2 bottles Vit C, 2 bottles mult-vit, etc.).

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2014/06/06/409474/Importing-drugs.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+forumosa%2Fchinapost+%28China+Post+Online±+Taiwan%2C+News%29

Saw this article about new rules about sending vitamins to Taiwan.

[quote=“Flakman”]http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2014/06/06/409474/Importing-drugs.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+forumosa%2Fchinapost+%28China+Post+Online±+Taiwan%2C+News%29

Saw this article about new rules about sending vitamins to Taiwan.[/quote]

That is some BS right there. This government is doing everything humanly possible to kill off business on the island. 99.9% of the problem drugs are coming from the one place that this administration can’t sell the island to fast enough. The recent regulations are so bizarre and Byzantine as it is that no one can tell us how to comply with them and bring in our supplements. The government simply regulated the heck out of it without providing a clear path for anyone to navigate the system. And our supplements come from New Zealand, which has some of the tightest food safety rules in existence.

This is getting extremely frustrating trying to run a business here.

I wonder if customs here opens every package. Technically speaking, in Canada it is illegal to ship drugs without a prescription but everyone does it.

As far as supplements go, the sellers simply don’t declare what it is and mark it as a gift.

Dear iHerb International Customer,
Starting now, and until June 30th, take advantage of our Free International Airmail Shipping for any order totaling $40.00 or more!

iHerb Info: best-online-supplement-store.blogspot.com/

Awesome deal! I just placed another order. Thank you KimK for providing the heads up!

Guy