Does the government consider you a native English speaker?

You’re from the Philippines? Can’t teach English in Taiwan legally, I’m afraid.

I will be teaching a different subject. They want native English speakers for that.

Which you are, but that’s a different debate.

When did MOFA decide it’s no longer an English speaking country?

You can check for yourself. You need to be from the Anglosphere to teach here.

It has already been checked, Mr. Dogs.
http://tw.forumosa.com/t/possibility-of-teaching-esl-for-filipina-instructor/87484/7

Has anything changed?

1 Like

Not true kiddo. I know lots of Filipinos teaching here, in international schools. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah you are - You’ve been speaking English for your whole life and your parents probably speak pretty good English too. That makes you a native speaker. You probably speak English better than a large majority of native speakers who only speak English.

You want to check that you’ve got your facts straight before you go giving out misinformation.

You’re really grasping for straws here. Forumosa is weird like that, people here really try and bend the laws in odd ways. Like having your wife’s parents adopt you.

Much like how there are Polish, Russian, and Turkish people teaching English here there are certainly Filipinos too. Is that legal? No. Next, the Taiwan government is known for giving out contradictory information all over the place. I can see the intent of the wording of the law, but it’s been well documented elsewhere that you need to be from one of the ‘big 7’ to teach. So please stop giving out misinformation.

Yes you are, don’t let a forum make you think otherwise. :wink: But you should know that it’s quite uncommon for Filipinos to come here as an English teacher. Most of us white-collar workers belong in the corporate world, or hold managerial positions in factories.

But, I would strongly recommend that you follow the exact rules that both the Philippines and Taiwan have when it comes to direct-hiring Filipinos. You can PM me if you have questions that might be too confidential to share here. :slight_smile:

Once again, Mr. D, I refer you to TG’s post quoting the official government line.

If you can enlighten us about this “well documented” information, please do. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fake news. That loophole is a myth. I’ve heard of people who’ve tried that but have been rejected or the govt has audited their school and they got fired.

It’s just like how you don’t need a degree to teach…

Really? Please tell us more.

Were these buxibans or “schools”? Did you see the rejection letters? How can we verify this?

Don’t ARCs reflect the job you have? I wonder how the Filipina English teacher I know got hers. Btw, she finished college here and was hired by a university to teach English.

I used to work as a recruiter, I can confirm it is legal to teach English if you’re from Philippines. I have helped a private school in Taipei hiring a Philippine English teacher and getting the work permit granted by the Ministry of Labor.

There would no problem to get work permit for teaching your native language.

The reason for such misunderstanding that government are not hiring Philippine teachers, is that most government public school program will state that they are only hiring teachers from “seven nations” , actually it was “Six nations” before, South Africa wasn’t included until few years ago.

The way I see it, public school programs are written long time ago, just revised a little over the years, if no one bring up the topic of changing or expanding the seven nations, it will stay there in the documents.

And to be honest, most employers are looking for a " non-asian " look, therefore Philipine teachers are often not considered as an option by the recruiting agency, because schools will turn down their resume anyway.

What a gather from the post above is that the law in Taiwan permits it and that employers who enforcce this “seven nations” thing is actually toying with the thing called DISCRIMINATION. :wink:

Anyway, I wouldn’t recommend Filipinos to teach here anyway. I think the salary they can get in other countries are way better. Most of us who don’t work as blue-collars don’t really look at that route for work atmosphere reasons hehe. Also, the visa thing could be difficult for your relatives as they always need to get one just to visit you. Unless, of course, you have your own family you’re willing to bring with you here as dependents.

Clearly you have no idea what you’re talking about and are just spreading long-standing misinformation that has not been true for a long time, if it ever was. It’s amazing how people can have the answer to a simple question placed right in front of them, but be so attached to their preconceptions that they simply refuse to accept it.

6 Likes

There’s a lot of English teachers who rely on textbooks for proper grammar. I have a friend here from Montreal who can’t necessarily speak English like a native English speaker because of his bilingual past, but he’s fine. He gets by.

Ah yes. If I’d trust everything I read from a certain group on Forumosa I’d believe that I could have my local wife’s parents adopt me, and I need to pay my landlord’s taxes…

Yeah, that Forumosa place is crazy. There’s this guy there called Derpy… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I really don’t think Tempo is the kind of person who would fabricate an email from a government office. If you can show us contradictory information from the government, please do. Any information on this topic from a school is questionable, for the reasons Huerta explained.

I would like to know how these audits work to flush out non-native English teachers with JFRV’s. Do you mean people working in “schools” (not buxibans) without teaching licenses? Nationality doesn’t matter if you don’t have a license, if I’m not mistaken.