Dog and Cat Meat now Banned

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2017/04/12/495414/First-in.htm

In a rush here but briefly, will it work? IMO

No. Only a few old people eat it anyway and will continue to do so black market
Meat is meat. I don’t see any difference between that and eating lamb chops or bacon although I have no interest in dog meat.

Although I am partial to a cock meat sandwich at Subway now and again.

This law will be another leash on the side of SouthEast Asian workers, who are tyhe one prominently featured in teh news for eating their bosses doggies. Not the bosses themselves or the elderly ones who visit secluded, exclusive restaurants -that may or may not move ariound if discovered- where such “delicacies” are served.

Do you like meat or fish? or perhaps meat and fish?

do you see the difference between killing a close friend or an outsider?

it’s just harder and sadder if you have to kill someone who gave you friendship & trust, no?

its a good look for taiwan.

now the animal abuse law or whatever it is sounds quite promising. its good that there is at least some movement on that front.

This part I especially like:

A new provision was also added to the law, banning the sale and consumption of dog and cat meat as well as any type of food products that contain the meat or parts of the animals.

Violation of the law is punishable by a fine of NT$50,000 to NT$250,000, and the names and photos of the offenders may be publicized, according to the amendment.

It also prohibits drivers and motorcycle riders from pulling animals along on a leash, and stipulates a fine of NT$3,000 to NT$15,000 for offenders.

So next time we see a dog being draged by a scooter at least they’ll get a fine.

Yeah, to be able to even consider animal rights is a luxury many people do not have. Most people are fighting for basic human rights. So I can’t argue with the move. But there are always some that will find some thing wrong like animal rights extremist and such.

A lot of the animals we regularly eat are also capable of forming close bonds with humans, so the moral waters here are pretty muddy.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s an argument I don’t like to get into.

I know what you mean. I had to stop eating chicken and duck after I got pet birds. Now I know not to get a pet pig…I don’t want be living on tofu for the rest of my life.

I fully agree. But we are not talking about potential but facts. There is a multi thousand years pact between humankind and dogs, they fully trust us and (most of us) do not eat them.

The idea that marriage can only be between a man and a woman is also backed up by thousands of years of history and tradition. But things change. Plenty of people have pet pigs, chickens, etc. And there are places with long cat and dog eating traditions. I’m not taking sides here. I guess everybody has to make their own decisions about what they can and can’t swallow.

The pig that they are raising next door to where I live looks pretty friendly too.
It gives a lot of friendship and trust too but that’s ok because its a pig right? What about that cute lamb at the farm?

The dogs that are raised for meat are not given friendship and trust before being killed, its just raised to be killed end of. And killing an outsider or a friend is the same, both is murder.
Again I have no dog in this race (pun intended) but I see the hypocrisy in criticizing one over the other.

I mentioned this to a group today to see what they thought, they said if caught they would just say that the dog is not theirs as most people don’t register their pets here. “The dog just happens to be following me”

i don’t know about taiwan but in china peoples pets and strays are kidnapped and then ate. cats too. thats pretty freaking dark in my book. i’ve also heard a story from one guy about a cop taking away his unregistered dog and feeding it to zoo lions or something. i have zero problems with banning eating those two animals. would it be better if we didn’t eat animals at all? yea, but its gonna take a while to get there.

i don’t really like the idea of eating cows, pigs, sheep or ducks…can’t say i feel all that guilty about (adult) chickens though. sorry chickens!

One of the worst moments in China was when I went out with one of my friends for a drink. Got hungry went to a small mom and pop restaurant and got up to go to the bathroom. The bathroom is in the back of the kitchen and I saw them skin a cat on the way back.

Dogs and cats are carnivores. Based on that fact there is enough distinction to cows, pigs and sheep that a law can be formulated.

Why would you eat anything this far up the food chain? It’s just dangerous.

Pigs are an exception, but they are raised purely vegetarian.

was that before or after you ate their food?

:scream_cat: :fearful: :sick:

If anyone wants to break the law and eat the numerous cats and dogs who visit our house nightly…please do come over and capture them. In fact…I might even reward your efforts with some cash.