Doing a Visa Run to Hong Kong... Things You Need to Know

Just come back from a HK visa run. Can confirm no need to go through HKG immigration.

I just got back from my visa run yesterday and this was helpful. Get all your paper work done before hand eventhough it’s unclear what exactly you may need. Do bank statements need to be official or can you just print them up on your printer? I had no stamp but other people did have it. Next time I’ll try and get some stamp (even if it’s just some bullshit stamp) just incase someone says something. Taiwanese love stamps! Only needed one picture.

Stayed at the Chungking Mansion. Not bad. $360 for 2 nights on the 16th floor. Clean and quiet. A/C, flat screen tv. Found free internet service in the subway stations and a great place to leave luggage and/or important stuff you don’t want to leave in your room for free. There’s a huge shopping mall near the river when you walk down the street that is opposite the Mansion. Go all the way to the end and you can’t miss it. Go up to the 4th floor and then ask at one of the info booths for the place you can leave your luggage. It’s free and you can leave your shit there until 8:30 pm. If you leave it over night they charge you $100 HK. They also have floor maps and you can sort of find it on your own. Also, when you arrive at the hong kong airport there’s an info booth. They were great and gave me all kinds of maps and tips. Right next to this booth you can buy your MTR card.

As far as changing money is concerned, I did most of it in Taipei because I wasn’t sure what it would be like in HK. Did end selling $150 US to the guy who brought me to my hostel. I got more than I would have at any bank or exchange place and didn’t pay a fee. He was also happy.

This thread is very helpful, but i still got some questions…

I’m planning to study chinese for 6 months (spring 2011). What I understand is that a visitor visa last 30/60 days and is extendable for max. 180 days. That’s like perfect for me, as i’m going to study for 6 months. BUTTTT…as we all know, counting of visa days starts from the day the overseas office issues the visa. That can be like a week/few days before departure. Is it possible to extend the visa for another 30/60 days as my classes are not over yet when the visa expires? I know i can go out of the country and come back with a landing visa…but i want to know if there is another solution. There is a chance that i want to travel a bit through Taiwan after the studying thing (or even study for 3 months more, depending on my financial status).

And what about the issue date of the visa during visa runs? Does this work the same way as you apply in your home country. If I go to HK when I still got like 5 days left of 60 days. Will the remaining 5 days be lost if I extend the visa or will counting starts on the day my old visa expires? Hope this makes sense…

I think the visa runs are soooo unnecessary…are they trying to get money from foreigners!!! Why don’t they give students something like a student visa, so you don’t have to go forth and back for just a visa.

Ok that’s all…hope someone can help me :smiley: thanks :bow:

No no no…
If you come here on a visitor visa and sign up for Chinese classes, you can change that visa and you won’t need to do visa runs. You will be able to get an ARC. Actually, you CAN"T avoid changing your visa…the schools won’t let you.
Search the threads in Studying Chinese. I know there are links to visas for studying Chinese because I just posted one.

[quote=“Wingzzz”]This thread is very helpful, but i still got some questions…

I’m planning to study Chinese for 6 months (spring 2011). What I understand is that a visitor visa last 30/60 days and is extendable for max. 180 days. That’s like perfect for me, as I’m going to study for 6 months. BUTTTT…as we all know, counting of visa days starts from the day the overseas office issues the visa. That can be like a week/few days before departure. Is it possible to extend the visa for another 30/60 days as my classes are not over yet when the visa expires? I know i can go out of the country and come back with a landing visa…but I want to know if there is another solution. There is a chance that I want to travel a bit through Taiwan after the studying thing (or even study for 3 months more, depending on my financial status).

And what about the issue date of the visa during visa runs? Does this work the same way as you apply in your home country. If I go to HK when I still got like 5 days left of 60 days. Will the remaining 5 days be lost if I extend the visa or will counting starts on the day my old visa expires? Hope this makes sense…

I think the visa runs are soooo unnecessary…are they trying to get money from foreigners!!! Why don’t they give students something like a student visa, so you don’t have to go forth and back for just a visa.

Ok that’s all…hope someone can help me :smiley: thanks :bow:[/quote]

[quote=“suiyuan31”]No no no…
If you come here on a visitor visa and sign up for Chinese classes, you can change that visa and you won’t need to do visa runs. You will be able to get an ARC. Actually, you CAN"T avoid changing your visa…the schools won’t let you.
Search the threads in Studying Chinese. I know there are links to visas for studying Chinese because I just posted one.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info…i’m going to search those threads. Still kinda strange though. I’m planning to study at MLC NCCU and on their website they are only talking about extending visa’s blablabla. Anywayz, going to search for those threads first.

EDIT: search those threads…couldn’t found what you were talking about and didn’t find real answers to my questions. Even the BOCA website states that the only way to get an resident visa/ARC is when you are planning to studying for more than three months after the 4 months that you already have studied.

This is not true. It starts from the day you arrive. When you get the visa, they assign a different time limit that says how long you have until you can enter. That’s usually 2 years if it’s your first visa (if memory serves me correctly).

When you enter, you will have 60 days to either renew or leave. If you are signed up for classes, you will be able to renew. You will have to take your attendance records from the school to the immigration department handling this. Most first time visitors do not get just a six month visa-I got 5 years my first time, and if you are from the US/Canada (and most other countries), you will get the same thing. After 6 months you have to get an ARC.

This will all make much more sense when you get here and the school will be able to point you to the right offices. When you apply for your visa in your home country, just tell them what you plan on doing-studying Chinese. Don’t tell them six months, tell them you don’t know yet because you might change your mind after you get here (many people, myself included, came here with a six month plan and 8 years later, I’m still here).

When you get a vistor’s visa to study Chinese, it’s for 2 months and can be extended twice for up to 180 days. But, look at the date on there that says when you have to enter the country by because if you leave the country just before that date expires (go to hong kong for an hour and then back) you’ll get another 180 days tacked on (that is 2 months times 3).

As far as getting an ARC I know of two ways. Either you wait until you’re in country for 4 months and you can apply for a student ARC which allows you to work for 8 to 10 hours a week ( I think) or you find a job that will provide you with an ARC. If you do this, you’ll have to go on a visa run to HK and apply for a 2 month visitor’s visa which can then be converted to an ARC. Don’t come back on a 30 day landing visa because you’ll have to leave the country again and convert that to the 2 month visitor’s visa. Note that the 2 month visitor’s visa is not the same as the 2 month visitor’s visa for students.

One of the things that I’ve come realize in my 6 months here in Taiwan is that the Taiwanese have an amazing knack for taking simple things and making them very complicated and confusing. Another thing to keep in mind is that when ever a Taiwanese person says “don’t worry, it’s all taken care of” it may mean that or it may mean “I don’t know what the fuck I’m doing but rather that tell you that I’m going to pretend that I do”.

I don’t know that this is true. There is no such thing as a visa for students.

You need no paperwork other than the application to apply for a visitor visa in your own country. Depending on where you are from, and whether or not you know someone in Taiwan to sponsor your application, everyone I know gets a five year multiple entry visa in their own country. This requires you to renew or leave every 60 days. So if I were you, esp if you know people in Taiwan, just apply for a visitor visa. If you can get that visa, you’re golden.

This should probably all be in another thread…

[quote=“suiyuan31”]
everyone I know gets a five year multiple entry visa in their own country. [/quote]

Where the hell are you from? Those things are harder to find than hobby-horse shit as far as I’m concerned.

[quote=“spaint”][quote=“suiyuan31”]
everyone I know gets a five year multiple entry visa in their own country. [/quote]

Where the hell are you from? Those things are harder to find than hobby-horse shit as far as I’m concerned.[/quote]
I’m from the US, I got one-but I had a Taiwanese sponsor before I applied. A good Canadian friend of mine had one too-without a sponsor. Maybe we lucked out? At any rate, mine long ago expired when I signed up for a job here and it got canceled, lol…a real mistake on my part…

Thanks suiyuan31 & clacicle for your input. Most of the things I already knew…about extending visa etc.

@ suiyuan31: i’ve read your posts in other threads. It’s quite confusing, because most of the useful threads are from a few years ago…didn’t things changed the recent years. I read blogs from some people that the date of issue is when counting starts and not the day of arrival. That’s why I got a bit confused with all the info on the web…and wasn’t sure about whether the same thing applied to visa runs (and the whole 180 days thing).

Btw, I’m from the Netherlands. The website of the overseas office here isn’t very helpful. The only option they state is visitor visa, but I know the application form gives more options. When the time is right I will bug them (again)…

[quote=“Wingzzz”]@ suiyuan31: I’ve read your posts in other threads. It’s quite confusing, because most of the useful threads are from a few years ago…didn’t things changed the recent years. I read blogs from some people that the date of issue is when counting starts and not the day of arrival. That’s why I got a bit confused with all the info on the web…and wasn’t sure about whether the same thing applied to visa runs (and the whole 180 days thing).

Btw, I’m from the Netherlands. The website of the overseas office here isn’t very helpful. The only option they state is visitor visa, but I know the application form gives more options. When the time is right I will bug them (again)…[/quote]
AFAIK, the things that have changed are mostly cosmetic, like the place where you get things renewed has changed, but the rules are still the same. I am 99.9% sure that visa counting starts from the day of arrival…I always leave 0.1% in case I’m wrong :slight_smile:

None of the websites are helpful. Once you get your visa, call your school. People worry too much about their initial visas…it’s not hard to get one.

can you get the visa in thailand??? I have fucked up big time, and now im fucked. more fucked than im usually fucked but still fucking fucked.

so can you get the visa in thailand?

or if i just go on my flight to thailand and then come back, does that mean i can get a new stamp then take my work documents to the office?

and a guy at work said i can go to the office to try and extend my visa but i am supposed to leave tomorrow please help me again forumosa.

[quote=“Shearersheed”]can you get the visa in thailand??? I have fucked up big time, and now im fucked. more fucked than im usually fucked but still fucking fucked.

so can you get the visa in thailand?

or if i just go on my flight to thailand and then come back, does that mean i can get a new stamp then take my work documents to the office?

and a guy at work said i can go to the office to try and extend my visa but I am supposed to leave tomorrow please help me again forumosa.[/quote]

Just fly out then back in you dont need a visa you get 90 days which you can extend

[quote=“Satellite TV”]Just fly out then back in you don’t need a visa you get 90 days which you can extend[/quote]

To make it simple:

1. Leave the country and get yr book(passport) stamped on the way out.
  2. Re-Enter the country and get yr book (passport) stamped on the way in.
  3. That is ALL you need to do.

By doing this you have now set the clock back to Day 1.

:unamused:

Is it the consensus now that a US citizen (or UK or CAN) does not need a tourist visa to get a teaching job anymore and in fact a 'visa exempt ’ (i.e. your passport) can be converted to an ARC directly (without leaving TW)? Is this what has been said here? Because, if that is the case, why would anyone spend all the time and money to get a visa at the Hong Kong TECO when your only intention is to find a teaching job. Is the extra 30 days worth all of that?

[quote][color=#FF0000]Visa-Exempt Entry[/color] - 30 days , The 30 days’ duration of stay starts from the next day of arrival and is not extendable. Travelers must depart by the end of the said 30 days. Visa-exempt entry cannot be converted to other types of visas.
However, aliens entering the R.O.C. through visa-exemption may apply for a visitor visa within the visa-exemption period on the following conditions at the Bureau of Consular Affairs and branch offices of MOFA.

1. in case of severe acute diseases, natural disasters or other force majeure reasons, which hold them back from leaving the R.O.C.

2. white- collar professionals obtaining the work permit within. the visa-exemption period, plus their spouse and minors (under age 20) entering the R.O.C. together.
    Japanese , U.K. and Ireland passport holders can stay 90 days. [/quote]

Yes Visa Exempt entry is able to convert straight to ARC without leaving the island now. So a Tourist Visa only gets you sixty days instead of 30 days. And if the USA grants TAiwanese visa exempt entry into the USA, this 30 days may become longer, maybe even 90 days to match what UK citizens get and I think Europeans will soon get as well.

Thanks Tommy! I first came to TW on a tourist visa and within a month it was cancelled and I got an ARC. I’m now in a position where my ARC is about to be cancelled, and I was not looking forward to having to attain another tourist visa by way of HK or BKK.

Does it make sense to just look for a new job on a 30 day visa exempt rather than go and get a tourist visa? Will HK issue a 60 day MUlti Entry tourist visa to someone who just had their ARC cancelled?

What do you think?

If you have the funds to make another visa run if you dont get another job within 30 days, then thats the easier way as you can step off the plane and take the same plane right back to TAiwan (as many have done) thereby saving you expenses in hongkong. The Tourist Visa costs money and time and effort and just gets you sixty days instead of 30. Maybe that money can be applied towards a second visa run if needed and it may not be needed ?

So just fly to whereever is cheapest ticket wise and turn around and come back in.

Maybe Cebu pacific to philippines and back ,or Air Asia to Malaysia and back or Air Macau to Macau and back, etc. You can even get both boarding passes when you check in in Taipei so they say.

This is exactly as i thought, and may have to do it now! My Buxiban just went under today, ARC bye-bye! I’m just looking at all the effort it takes to get a tourist visa and it doesn’t make sense to me. I got my first job in less than 30 days last summer, so as far as i see it, in the worst case scenario, I have to take a couple round trips out of the country before i find a new job. (i might find one tomorrow and not have to leave at all!). The ‘not leaving the terminal’ approach is good to know, especially if you are just coming back on the same plane.

Do they have ‘visa cruises’ in Taiwan. Where a boat goes out into international waters and then turns around?