Don't get caught outside! Air Raid Drill May 15th 1:30 to 2pm

As per title, a friendly reminder. Northern taiwan affected. dates to follow for the rest of Taiwan.

[quote]The government will be holding the annual Wan-an No. 36 Air Raid Drill for northern Taiwan on May 15 between 1:30 PM and 2 PM. Drills will involve the evacuation of people and vehicles, as well as the implementation of traffic control measures.

[/quote]

we had one of these last month or whatever. Almost a major pain in the arse, fortunately I was able to get to class on time

I’m curious. What happens if you get caught outside during the practice?

I was once stopped by police after crossing a bridge.There were other vehicles stopped too. He told me what was going on, but I didn’t really understand.
So I got back on the bike, and started to go back across the bridge to take a different route.

He blew his whistle, and got very upset. I went back and stood still, like a good [strike]citizen[/strike] alien resident.

Yeah you’re supposed to stop where you are and stay off the streets.

They will drag your pretty derriere to the nearest shelter AKA any roof available.

Just plan your day ahead, and try to be inside somewhere before 1:30pm, in case they start closing streets -especially main streets early. It’s no biggie, just half an hour, but only emergency vehicles are allowd to circulate. Feels kind of eerie though, to have the city enveloped by those wailing air raid sirens.

As a curious note, back in the ol country, we used to have an air raid siren instead of a school bell, brought from Germany by the school founders. It was heard several counties downwind…

They will drag your pretty derriere to the nearest shelter AKA any roof available.

Just plan your day ahead, and try to be inside somewhere before 1:30pm, in case they start closing streets -especially main streets early. It’s no biggie, just half an hour, but only emergency vehicles are allowd to circulate. Feels kind of eerie though, to have the city enveloped by those wailing air raid sirens. [/quote]

Sounds kind of exciting. After 21 months I’m still such a newbie.

[quote=“Icon”]
As a curious note, back in the ol country, we used to have an air raid siren instead of a school bell, brought from Germany by the school founders. It was heard several counties downwind… [/quote]

If there really had been an air attack all the children would’ve gone to school!

Air raid drills are quaint world war 2 stuff.

Clearing the streets . … wonder what that does? Missiles wont be aimed at the streets.

However, one good thing. IF a missile were to hit a building somewhere, having clear streets helps get aid to that building in question. So perhaps there is some use afterall.

I thought this actually happened on Monday, when there were hordes of police seen on the roads.
Never been stopped during one of these, but I usually take the back roads.

I’m glad I can google “air raid sirens Taiwan” and be directed straight to this page. New in town.

FML, trapped on the freeway offramp for the next 20 minutes. I’m literally less than five minutes away from home!

I have never seen Taipei Like this! Super Super Super cool! It’s like a shot from the walking dead! I just wish I saw outside and not in my cubicle :frowning:

I was stuck on a bus in the mountains for an extra half hour. Boooorrring.