Donuts, Burgers, Ice Cream, Cheap...WTF?

As a resource, F.com is massively useful to the casual browser but if anyone were to us this thread as a resource for “Good Retaurants” then they would have to wade through a veritable cesspool of North American crap about what they miss at home and the lowest common food denominators; as if the consumption of a particular doughnut (donut - to dumb it down) was the be all and end all of existence in Taiwan. Bollocks!

This forum should exist to further the exploration of decent restaurants and outlets that serve food way above, and beyond, the usual American crap that the average browser (who is most likely to be a Yank) may care to see/dine at/consider.

This forum would be best served if all the fast food, burger stuff etc. be separated into another thread otherwise, the average visitor to Taiwan may think that this country is just an extension of America, which, is, having driven about 4,500 miles across it, about as culinarily adept as my little finger.

So, enough of the fast food/donut/ice-cream/hot dog/burger stuff in the restaurant forum and let this thread in Forumosa.com be a useful guide for visitors and not a mouthpiece for cheap students to hail their fave cheap grub as if it were the be all and end all of food on this planet.

There used to be really good reviews of “restaurants” in this thread but it seems as if no one has any money to go to them any more and the whole thing has become one big cheap student/teacher forum dominated by bloody Yanks and their desires for their cheap “back home” edible glop.

Up the standards Sandman and get rid of the dross!

BroonAsks

So what are you asking? :laughing:

Where in the hell are you? Why would you think that one post would be able to narrow it down simply and easily in the land of milk and honey. You’ve got gas to burn baby, and fumes to choke the rest of us Americans on. So do it!!!

From Sea to shining sea, America has culinary to delight the palate. In New York, they are known for having every nation crammed into 6 burrows. So you never are with out sushi, mexican rice, puerto rican black beans, cuban beans, bbq duck, pasta, etc. since you were in PA you probably enjoyed a steak sandwich already.

Come to Chicago, and we have the best fucking pizza you’ll have touch your taste buds, and the hot dogs get lots of love. Plus, we’re in our mini-season between our other three (Construction, Winter and Corruption)–St. Pat’s day. Celebrations have begun because lent came early, so there’s plenty of good Irish stout and cabbage (ewww, gas) and fine corned beef. The food is optional if you are awake for it.

Move South to New Orleans, where you can have gumbo, crawfish, pecan pie, and Beignets, a dounut with some kick ass coffee from Cafe Du Monde. Listen to some jazz or find Angelina Joie and her crazy brood,whichever floats your boat. No pun intended.

Move on over to Texas, where you’ll find out, there is heart and it’s deep, and long to drive across. It takes a day, so why not go on down thru San Antonio where you can have Tex-Mex food, a hybrid of Mexican and Texas style. It’s good. And to relax, ride the river boats with a pretty lady. If you want some college fling, then head up to Austin, where you maybe able to get “small” with Mathew McConaughey, who I hear loves to do it but also in the buff.

As you move west, just keep moving. Ain’t nothing but desert. Stop at a Popeyes, or Taco Bell, or White Castle’s. The latter is my fave but they don’t call em sliders for nothin’ :smiling_imp:

Then you arrive in LA. No problem in finding food there, since half of it’s population doesn’t eat. In and Out burgers are the BEST !! Must get one, and with grilled onions please. Then go to Koreatown, Little Japan, West Hollywood(boy’s town), Santa Monica (but away from the touristy pier :unamused:).

Did that answer your question?

Namahelps

Hi Broon! Hey mate, if you happen to venture back into the great satan would you mind getting me some El Fluffos Magic Burger Seasoning Mix? I promise to use only good quality pork and I will offer a review! Thanking you in advance!

Have a nice day!
HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Hi Broon! Hey mate, if you happen to venture back into the great satan would you mind getting me some El Fluffos Magic Burger Seasoning Mix? I promise to use only good quality pork and I will offer a review! Thanking you in advance!

Have a nice day!
HG[/quote]

Is that an actual product or code for something else?

That’s as may be but Forumosa.com is about Taiwan. There is more to the international food scene (and good local restaurant scene) than the casual browser to this site would think given the plethora of whiny-piny stuff about what’s good burger-wise ‘back home’. My point is that this thread has been usurped by the cheapest people pretending that they are the aficionados of what is good and what is not good to eat in Taiwan (as long as it it is North American and below NT$100).

Phtooey!

BroonAsserts

Hey guys… where can I get a good hamburger?

NOT in America. You seem to have missed the point. Unusually: I have posted seriously. What is it with this thread and cheap, cheap, cheap food places? Why not have a thread for the paupers and preserve the restaurant thread for worthy establishments that might cast a better light on the the Taiwan restaurant scene for the international visitor rather than the temporary resident teacher/student sponger/minesweeping North American hick?

BroonAnswers

oh, see what intelligent ranting gets you?

Namahumbled

NOT in America. You seem to have missed the point. Unusually: I have posted seriously. What is it with this thread and cheap, cheap, cheap food places? Why not have a thread for the paupers and preserve the restaurant thread for worthy establishments that might cast a better light on the the Taiwan restaurant scene for the international visitor rather than the temporary resident teacher/student sponger/minesweeping North American hick?

BroonAnswers[/quote]By thread I guess you mean forum.

Some of the best Taiwanese food I’ve had has been fairly cheap–around two or three hundred per dish in a sit-down restaurant; much less of course for street food.

And some of the blander, mediocre local food I’ve had has been expensive.

Rather than trying to restricting the range of the restaurant forum, why not be the change you seek and all that stuff? Post a bunch of reviews of restaurants you like. Link to Forumosa on various travel forums, to encourage international visitors to look at the site. (To be fair, you may have done this already. As I don’t usually read internet travel forums, I don’t know).

[quote=“Namahottie”]
Come to Chicago, and we have the best fucking pizza you’ll have touch your taste buds, [/quote]

or maybe not

there can only be one best, and you’ll get it in the 5–not 6 dammit–BOROUGHS–not burrows lol what are we rabbits–of NYC. preferably staten island. example above.

:slight_smile:

BroonAnswers[/quote]By thread I guess you mean forum.

Some of the best Taiwanese food I’ve had has been fairly cheap–around two or three hundred per dish in a sit-down restaurant; much less of course for street food.

And some of the blander, mediocre local food I’ve had has been expensive.

Rather than trying to restricting the range of the restaurant forum, why not be the change you seek and all that stuff? Post a bunch of reviews of restaurants you like. Link to Forumosa on various travel forums, to encourage international visitors to look at the site. (To be fair, you may have done this already. As I don’t usually read internet travel forums, I don’t know).[/quote]

yes, yes, thread…forum …whatever; my point being that nowadays, the principle posts in this thread/forum seem to be from and/or for the lowest common denominator vis-a-vis browsership.

Look, fast food places are everywhere, like fungus in a Scotsman’s jockstrap, but decent restaurant reviews seem to be lacking. If this is a sign of what the expat in Taiwan wants/or indeed IS, then so be it and sad that is indeed. IMO, the average punter qualified to opine sensibly with a degree of intelligence in this thread/forum has declined appreciably; limited only to those of Elektonisk’s ilk with the remainder a bunch of cheap, home-scoring point-mongers mainly from the over-rated North American continent, trying to foist their ‘cuisine’ on the rest at the the expense of the casual browser who might be forgiven into thinking that that Taipei, on reading this thread/forum, was a fancy version of Tulsa, Oklahomo.

BroonAghast

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“Namahottie”]
Come to Chicago, and we have the best fucking pizza you’ll have touch your taste buds, [/quote]

or maybe not

there can only be one best, and you’ll get it in the 5–not 6 dammit–BOROUGHS–not burrows lol what are we rabbits–of NYC. preferably staten island. example above.

:slight_smile:[/quote]

Who fucking cares? It’s a bloody pizza and sod where or which parochial borough it originated from or which US city duzzem best. The point is that this forum seems to be less about restaurants in Taiwan/Taipei than what a bunch of home boys/Yanks/Canucks want or wish Taiwan to be. And if it isn’t, you are brave enough to hold no punches on making unfavourable comparisons. You chose to live here and so if the bloody crap fast food you existed on before, isn’t up to par then sod off back to where you came from instead of trying to homegenize the world into some kind of simpleton’s gustatory gloop fest.

There are a bunch of good restaurants out there in Taipei but suddenly someone has an NT$$90 burger experience and a whole strata of teacher-types come in their pants: hence the WTF.

BroonAsserts

Perhaps this is what you had in mind, Broon?
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=8711

[quote=“BroonAle”]

Who fucking cares?[/quote]

I’ll grant you this, lol

This on the other hand is the demented raving of a confused person, nothing more. If you think all pizza is the same that is. not to mention saying that pizza is not worthy of culinary analysis. what if i were to say the same about fish and chips? lol

Still wandering about North America looking for relatives?

BroonAnswers[/quote]

I’m sorry but YOU have missed the point. I think the poster was pointing out how ridiculous you are being and attempting to anger you, and I believe he succeeded on both fronts.

Perhaps petition the mods for a Fine Dining sub forum of this forum for your culinary exploration?

Me? I’ll stick to talking about burgers and burritos. About 50nt mi fen tang and delicious niu rou mian. About which pho place actually makes beef soup that doesnt taste like dish water. Or who has some good poutine.

I like pizza.
Especially with tossed limeys…

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“Namahottie”]

or maybe not

:slight_smile:[/quote]

What kind of fuggin pizza is that? :raspberry: Come to Chicago and then make that same arguement

Opps on the misspelling, but that’s just sweet ole me. :smiley:

what kind? a PROPER brick oven, thin crust, nyc pizza. chicago–pan, thick crust, no? snigger. still hope to get the chance to have some some time :slight_smile: