Downhill Mountain Biking

Usually in the morning, either Saturday or Sunday.
Recent weekends I haven’t ridden due to holiday, but I’m up for it once the weather improves again.
I’ll let you know next time we ride.

1. basicly, a good trail can be riddin without chain if you don’t any mistakes. Big jumps rideable for beginners is hard to achieve, so maybe just provide a chicken ways (which even the pros might need when wet).
  2. is that big stepdown still there? :smiley:

Last time I was there is already a few months ago, but then it still was. It’s really sick, most likely I would never hit stuff like that

[quote=“pommes king”][quote=“jaame”]
1.Is that about right?
2.I know I keep saying it, but I am keen to head to Speedtrap at some point!
[/quote]

1. basicly, a good trail can be riddin without chain if you don’t any mistakes. Big jumps rideable for beginners is hard to achieve, so maybe just provide a chicken ways (which even the pros might need when wet).
  2. is that big stepdown still there? :smiley:
    [/quote]

Where was that photo taken. I have not seen any decent ladders or jumps. Looks nice.

[quote=“landshark”]
Where was that photo taken. I have not seen any decent ladders or jumps. Looks nice.[/quote]

Beitou Speedtrap, very doable (despite the short landing) however I would check the construction again before trying. :smiley:

[quote=“pommes king”][quote=“landshark”]
Where was that photo taken. I have not seen any decent ladders or jumps. Looks nice.[/quote]

Beitou Speedtrap, very doable (despite the short landing) however I would check the construction again before trying. :smiley:
[/quote]

I have hear of the speed trap from a few in our group. I ride the graveyard but I have ever made it to the speedtrap. I have heard it’s short and fast. How is it?

[quote=“landshark”]
I have heard it’s short and fast. How is it?[/quote]

last time i was there in january (!), it was still one of the best DH trail in Taiwan. However, Taiwanese flora can rapidly take over and wooden jumps rot away instantly, so you never know…
Shuttleing is great, a lot of shade and it never gets muddy because of the clay-ish terrain. When wet however, that makes it quite a challenge as it is extremely slippery.
Steep at the top, fast to the bottom, looking fwd to ride their again soon… january?

[/quote]

Who took the photos? They really look great!

[quote=“landshark”]
Who took the photos? They really look great![/quote]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deviserfocus/

Who took the photos? They really look great![/quote]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deviserfocus/[/quote]

My God, that is a lot of photos!

Hello MTBers. An odd question perhaps, but perhaps someone might have an opinion.

If you had to choose to live in a capital city in Asia of your choosing, with the mountain biking that is fairly accessible from the city as the primary factor in your selection, which one would you go for?

It seems like Taipei has a lot of options (although more in the DH/FR realm), but would anyone here happen to know about places like HK, Singapore, KL and others? It seems like they all have something you can do nearby, often limited by the legality of the trails or the altitude, but I don’t really know how to compare.

Thanks for any comments! :thumbsup:

RE: X-ride 5, tomorrow the 18th of December in Taiching

maps.google.com.tw/maps?q=台中市外埔區山腳巷台灣省農會休閒綜合農牧場&hl=zh-TW&ie=UTF8&ll=24.330449%2C120.618864&spn=0.009708%2C0.01929&sll=25.091075%2C121.559834&sspn=0.617493%2C1.234589&vpsrc=6&brcurrent=3%2C0x346911d31727850d%3A0xca2cd406ca70976a%2C1%2C0x346917dff97922ef%3A0x87523ee47ea6447f&hq=農會休閒綜合農牧場&hnear=438台中市外埔區山腳巷&t=m&z=17

Timetable of events

0830-1000 : Registration
0830-1400 : Practice (truck service)
1040-1140 : Curve Path Race
1140-1240 : Jumping Race
1100-1330 : Lunch Time(Beer for free)
1100-1200 : Player Registation for FR & DH Race
1300-1600 : FR & DH Race
1630-1700 : Awarding Ceremony and Lottery Time

Your guess is as good as mine as to what “Curve path race” is, could be a pumptrack? Anyway it looks like good banter. Weather is forecast to be nice, sunny 26º. I’m going to travel down with Barry, leaving Neili Intersection of freeway 1 at 7. We should be there for the registration at 8:30.

Roel, get involved!

RE: Tantrum.

Taipei has some god trails I’ve heard about but I haven’t ridden many yet. I hear there are three good areas near Taipei but I don’t live there so aren’t the best person to ask. I know there is a “Scene” in Singapore but I haven’t ridden there or researched it. I’ve heard from a few Taiwanese guys here that HK has a great thriving scene with some awesome areas, a real bike park which kills anything Taiwan has to offer. You must be a member to ride there but registration is “easy on the internet”. Never been there either but I’m itching to try. Also there is a bike park called Fujimi Panorama a couple of hours’ drive from Tokyo which is a ski resort in winter. I think it’s likely to be the only lift serviced bike park in east asia. I know there’s one in Indo too because I saw they had the Asian DH cup there last week, but I don’t know exactly where it is in Indo. I seem to remember Sumatra but it’s probably nowhere near Jakarta.

Further to your decision about what city to move to. If I was single when I came here, I would have left in a month or so and gone to BKK. Without a Taiwanese shiela to do everything for you, it would be very difficult to come here and make a go of it. Many people comment that they have never been anywhere so bereft of English. Even now, I’ve been here four years, my Chinese is still very poor, and I’ve just bought a house without really knowing what’s going on throughout every meeting with the seller, bank, household registration rep etc. My car, bike and even my work bank account are in my wife’s name. The foreigner scene is shite here compared to HK and BKK. Not many foreigners to talk to, you end up hanging out with people you wouldn’t hang out with in an English speaking country (i.e. people you don’t really get on with or like) just because you want some conversation.

This website helps, but Taiwan isn’t the place to come to meet friends and have a social life (in my opinion).

There are some good blokes involved with bikes here, but nothing compared to in your home country. I wouldn’t choose here knowing what I know now, but I do have a wife, kid and a house so getting out isn’t easy.

On the plus side, you can do what you want when you want and not pay tax, which is pretty fucking great!

Jaame, thanks for the feedback! MUCH MUCH appreciated. :thumbsup:

Actually, my scenario is that I can take advantage of a 2-year leave of absence from my job, which I want to do. I am married and have 2 young kids.

My wife and I want to go to somewhere in Asia. Due to continuity of schooling reasons, we would be restricted to one of the main capital cities and I would also rule out anywhere extremely polluted (e.g. Beijing). Deciding where to go will be determined by food, weather, mountain biking, schools, proximity to other places we want to visit, stuff for the kids and possible work or study for my wife, as well as legal/visa aspects. So far Taipei seems good, but admittedly it’s the only city in contention I haven’t been to. :slight_smile:

I guess the long-term aspects of such a decision aren’t so important for us, given we’ll just be “in and out” so to speak.

It’s possible I’ll have more leisure time in the 2 years than normal, so the opportunity to ride bikes would be a key point for me. But it’s a little hard to tell exactly how accessible and varied the trails are near the various cities. Tips are welcome, so I’m interested to hear some Taiwanese guys have mentioned HK… :ponder:

Hi, I have a question… i need to do some basic exercise… i did have a BMX when i was young and a MTB later on but never in Taiwan… i have been here for about 7 years so you can get the picture…
my main idea is to do some cycling in the mornings with my wife, nothing extreme and just to burn some calories and be healthy… i have an indoor bicycle machine but for me indoors is boring… i was looking at the foldable bicycles because i could carry them in the car easily to small trips and well they are kind of nice… i am 1.90 Mts tall and weight around 95Kg… i saw a nice one with 21 gears, 20 inch wheels and some other cool stuff…
keeping in mind that i dont plan to do any off-road activity, are those bicycles good?

wrong thread! But I do can recommand the Birdy to you; pacific-cycles.com/

wrong thread! But I do can recommand the Birdy to you; pacific-cycles.com/[/quote]

My mistake !!!

Yo!

X-Ride event video:

youtube.com/watch?v=hcilB5EZ2gs

I’ve made my way onto it 4 times!

Finished 4th from 47 in the over 25s DH race, 6th from 90 overall.

I wasn’t far back from the winner. On my race run I was really tired because of the early start, drive down and practice. Without wanting to sound too arrogant, I think I would have done better if I went there the day before to practice. Next time…

Anyone has some info on bikeparks in South-East Asia?
Thinking about visiting some bikepark somewhere during CNY…

Roel there;s a bike park in sumatra where they had an asian cup race recently. It looks pretty cool. I went to Dadu Shan with Pommes King last Saturday. They have a downhill jump trail with some decent size drops and berms. Really fun, not technical at all. Also there is a pump track there.

I’m working on a new stepdown at Jung Fu Gong. The drop is going to be about 4 metres long and 1.5 metres down at the shortest point, but possible to hit it faster and extend those figures to 6-7m and 2m depending on how far down the landing you hit.

Rude!

I heard from that Spank guy Mike that Mr. Lu has made Da Tong Shan totally awesome. Remember that place we last met up when I had my daughter? That place, said to be very good now.

Also a free bus is going from Taoyuan Dayou Rd (JFG road) to Dadu Shan two weeks today, the 4th I think, and also checking out a new bmx track in Da Jia (Taichung)