DPP Xenophobes

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … 0611143537

She does seem to have gotten a raw deal in Japan. But then again, we’re only hearing her side of the story and she admits to trying to flee the scene of a crime and assaulting a police officer, "After a heated exchange, Kalia said she jumped into her car to escape, but the policeman forcefully grabbed her arm “so I slapped him two times across the face.” Bowing deeply and patiently might have been wiser. Even a Taiwanese officer might have arrested her if she slapped him in the face.

Is there a common thread between this dimwit Taiwanese politician and the common stories of prejudice against foreigners in Japan? Taiwan and Japan are both basically mono-ethnic, and many Japanese and Taiwanese have relatively limited experience with foreigners. Doesn’t prejudice usually result from lack of experience?

[quote=“magnolia”]It’s more misogynistic than xenophobic, IMHO, in keeping with local traditions:

Disgusting ugly pig man crashes his guy while drooling over a betel nut girl - it’s HER fault

Disgusting ugly social outcast pig man buys foreign bride, beats her, allows his mother to also beat her, forces her to blow his ugly pig man friends, treats her like a slave, she runs away - it’s HER fault

“many foreign brides find it hard to assimilate into Taiwanese society,” DPP Legislator Tang Huo-shen said. As opposed, I can only presume, to the sex-starved, mummy’s boy loser who has assimilated so well he has to BUY someone from overseas to “love” him and DOESN’T CARE about culture and language differences as long as the bitch can scrub floors, bear kids and put out.

Oh, but it can’t be HIS his fault, can it?[/quote]

This is the best post I have seen on Segue in three and a half years. Have some more guanxi.

[quote=“hexuan”][quote=“magnolia”]It’s more misogynistic than xenophobic, IMHO, in keeping with local traditions:

Disgusting ugly pig man crashes his guy while drooling over a betel nut girl - it’s HER fault

Disgusting ugly social outcast pig man buys foreign bride, beats her, allows his mother to also beat her, forces her to blow his ugly pig man friends, treats her like a slave, she runs away - it’s HER fault

“many foreign brides find it hard to assimilate into Taiwanese society,” DPP Legislator Tang Huo-shen said. As opposed, I can only presume, to the sex-starved, mummy’s boy loser who has assimilated so well he has to BUY someone from overseas to “love” him and DOESN’T CARE about culture and language differences as long as the bitch can scrub floors, bear kids and put out.

Oh, but it can’t be HIS his fault, can it?[/quote]

This is the best post I have seen on Segue (Now Forumosa) in three and a half years. Have some more guanxi.[/quote]

I’m sending 100 Guanxi

Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue Segue

Those kinds of punishments (writing “I have been bad” 100 times) was thank God already abolished when I started in primary school.

[quote=“hexuan”][quote=“magnolia”]It’s more misogynistic than xenophobic, IMHO, in keeping with local traditions:

Oh, but it can’t be HIS his fault, can it?[/quote][/quote]

I find YOUR post sexist. What do you think these are, love starved women coming over here all starry-eyed for their white knight Taiwanese husbands? They are just as guilty for getting involved. That social problems result from such a ridiculous institution is not surprising, both as you describe above and as were described in the article.

Most foreign spouses travelling with their husband to a new (richer) country will get a bit of a chock when they discover that life in a new place is not easy.

But the mail-order brides? They possibly have no idea that the guys they’ll marry are the hard-to-sell merchandise.

Daltongang,

:unamused:

I think you are missing the entire point!

Perhaps not understanding the situation is wrong and therefore it’s YOUR fault. :unamused:

[quote=“Mr He”]Most foreign spouses travelling with their husband to a new (richer) country will get a bit of a chock when they discover that life in a new place is not easy.

But the mail-order brides? They possibly have no idea that the guys they’ll marry are the hard-to-sell merchandise.[/quote]
Bzzzzt! Sorry, wrong answer.

The mail-order brides aren’t dewy-eyed innocents any more, if indeed they ever were (which I doubt). In Russia, for example, there has been at least one book published to instruct women on exactly how to set up their American husbands so that they can file domestic-violence charges – basically, get a friend to hit her a few times, make sure the friend stays until the husband comes home, then call the cops and say the husband was the one who hit her. The more witnesses the better, how to deal with lawyers, change the locks on the house so he can’t try to retake possession of his stuff, etc. etc.

There was a Filipino mail-order bride a few years ago who did that to her husband within a month of arrival; she had two attorneys from NOW (for foreigners, that’s the National Organization for Women, one of the oldest and perhaps hardest-line feminist organizations in the U.S.) provided to her free by the organization. From the shakeout, it appears that the charges she and NOW filed were fake – but the husband shot her to death in the courthouse (along with the attorneys), so she sure made them real in the end.

An article a few years ago on the Vietnamese brides being brought to Taiwan claimed that many of them are being b®ought by families for poor or mentally-retarded sons, to try to continue the family line. (Considering the propaganda that is being spewed about the issue in general, I really have no idea if it’s true or not.) So maybe it’s a little different in Taiwan, but I doubt it.

All that said, counting my friend who married the Russian woman (who, as I wrote, was using marriage agencies to find an American husband for at least eight years), I know (at least) four such “mail-order” couples firsthand – one German, two Filipino, and the one Russian. All of the marriages are lasting (two for around 20 years, one for around 15; the Russian one just started about a year ago, so the jury’s still out on it), which is better than any American-American marriage I’ve seen so far. But (other than the newspaper reports) I’ve never personally known a “mail-order” couple who broke up.

Rent The Birthday Girl. Watch and learn!

Not all mail-order brides are like that. Domestic-violence charges in Taiwan? The law says possible, but when you are living with all the in-laws setting him up may be hard.

Nicole Kidman? Woohoo! :stuck_out_tongue: (Closest I could find to a “drooling smiley” – or would that be a “drooling slimey”?)

I’m sure Taiwan is very different about it. :slight_smile: (If nothing else, Taiwan is spared a Senator Lautenberg! Lucky bstrds.)

But the basic point I was (admittedly badly) trying to make is that the “mail-order brides” aren’t dewy-eyed innocents, at least where the ones coming to the U.S. are concerned. Maybe the Viets going to Taiwan are – but considering how “hardened” Vietnam is, the way I’d bet is that they’re even less dewy-eyed than the Russians.

[quote=“Boss Hogg”]Daltongang,

I think you are missing the entire point!

Perhaps not understanding the situation is wrong and therefore it’s YOUR fault. :unamused:[/quote]

I don’t think so BH!

I’d say the politician involved is living proof that this policy was successfully implemented several decades ago.

Ahh, now I get it. This guy has been rejected as not good enough for the mail-order brides, and then he want to make sure to stir up some ruckus for those that passed the needle-eye… :laughing: :laughing: -You know, those poor, retarded, uneducated farmer boys.

I feel sorry for the Taiwanese male/Southeast Asian female couples who met each other socially (not in bars or brothels), married out of love, and are happy together. I’ve come across a few, but no doubt they get tarred with the mail-order-bride/goldigger immigrant brush…

DPP, KMT…seriously, neither one is worth a bucket of warm spit.

A KMT opinion of foreigners:

Kinmen’s bureaucrats also frustrated Reth’s campaign. While there, Reth invited Yen Ta-jen (顏達仁), Kinmen’s deputy county commissioner, to sign a statement urging the government to adhere to the treaty. He didn’t know that Yen did not support his campaign. While asking for the interpreter’s assistance in communicating with Reth, the commissioner said, “I cannot understand this barbarian language.”
Tsai said that he would “feel insecure signing it,” because he was not sure whether doing so would get him into trouble. With the seesaw battle between the two leading nowhere, a friend of Yen suggested that he bring an end to the matter by “pretending to sign in front of the camera to satisfy Reth,” to which Yen happily responded that “foreigners are just not as smart as we Chinese people.” In the end, the Kinmen bureaucrats kept the statement for further consideration.

taipeitimes.com/News/local/a … 6/27/91687

Which also happens to a certain degree to White Male, Asian Female marriages around in Europe :x :x

Oh yeah? My wife got mistaken for a mail order bride all the time. Too bad her husband was too young and well-educated to fit the bill of the average male paying for his life partner with a visa card. Usually, people would mistake her for being a Thai - she just hated that. But well Taiwan - Thailand. Sounds similar.