Draft for Korean women

Sounds logical. Like Israel, they are surrounded. The more, the merrier. And NK does it.

The petitioner emphasized that, “In addition to the main enemy North Korea, South Korea is surrounded by Japan, China, and Russia, and for that reason it is essential to continue the conscription system. The conscription system is only for men, but women seek equality and claim that ‘women are just as good as men, and even have abilities men do not,’ and in that case, women should also be subject to the same compulsory duty as men. As a result, the number of active duty and trained soldiers in the country will increase.”

http://www.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/new/20170905/1197133/

From Korea:

Equally right? Call me crazy. But I feel like ROC and South Korean citizens should be allowed to purchase fire arms to protect against threats. Far more than the US.

1 Like

No, Koreans are crazy. When I worked in Korea, I saw drunk Koreans have drunk arguments with coworkers on a regular basis. If they had guns, they would shoot each other

3 Likes

It’s all fun and games there and back to normal next day and and more drinks the next night. Korean men love their soju and makgeoli. Every time I visit my moms side of the family there, there’s a lot of drinking involved from family members I didn’t even know existed that are so happy to see me lol.

1 Like

All fun and games when you don’t have guns

Complete load of bollocks. No point drafting people of either sex into the army if they don’t want to be there, can’t measure up to basic requirements, and will just be a liability in a combat situation. Nothing at all wrong with teaching everyone some street-fighting basics, I suppose, but what use are a bunch of half-trained conscripts going to be when Mr Blobby drops the big one?

If women want to join the army, presumably they can do so.

What’s the gender breakdown of that petition? :ponder: Just asking.

Funny how often arguments for gun control take on a tinge of bigotry.

(I realize you’re probably just kidding.)

Everybody’s surrounded by other people. That’s life.

huh? In what way could that comment be construed as bigoted?

1 Like

I agree conscription is most likely a huge waste of time and resources. But for countries like Taiwan. Most soldiers are actually recruited during conscription. Also another benefit is that is probably the most grown up thing most guys go through before entering the work force. I’ve never met so many incompetent baby’s in my life during my time. Some of them really benefited from it tbh.

I think what he means is that if you refer to a nationality as mentally ill (“Koreans are crazy”), that may be considered bigotry.

Not really https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hwabyeong

1 Like

I know drunks and firearms don’t mix well. Drunks and anything don’t mix well. That’s a problem with drunks, not a problem with guns.

But when the Norks invade, I expect they’ll sober up damn quick.

When trouble comes, you don’t ever want to be the guy without a gun. Or the girl without a gun.

1 Like

At least build get a nuke if no guns. I’m tired of the PRC keep saying they’re going to invade us. It’s really annoying. Just do it or shut up at a certain point.

Meanwhile in Taiwan:

Recruitment among women was surprisingly successful, an official said, adding that if the goal were to recruit 100 people, only 50 men would sign up, while 200 women would enroll.

And of course they’re treated equally! :man:t2: :woman:t2: :balance_scale: :rainbow:

The military fully supports gender equality and all courses and training are implemented without bias, officers said, adding that in some cases, women performed better than their male counterparts.

Aside from the special periods of pregnancy and menstruation, all recruits are treated equally, officers said.

But wait!

The military said it has no plans to put female sailors on duty in submarines.

:ponder:

:rofl:

Not sure if that’s the military demonstrating a bit of numerical brain failure, or the editor of the TT asleep on the job again.

If I am not mistaken, the US has/had a similar rule. hence, Taiwan monkey see monkey do.