Dragonbabe's Comet

Ok, so Dragonbabe comes home and tells me she saw something in the sky that looked like a comet today. A large, orangish ball of fire, with a long, conical white tail. It was low in the sky, heading down at an angle between two buildings. It looked much larger than an airplane, and closer than a comet, but we haven’t seen any news on a comet or an airplane crash. My initial guess is an ROC surface to surface short- to medium-range ballistic missile test. Any chance of that? Has anyone heard anything? Should we be concerned, or should Dragonbabe stop picking her own mushrooms in the woods? :stuck_out_tongue:

Was it moving perceptibly? If so, it wasn’t a comet.

Alien invasion, perhaps?

Are meteorites radioactive?

Well, a UFO did come to Chicago last year. It arrived at O’Hare airport. when it realized that it’s gate was unavailable it left. :idunno: Perhaps it was trying at CKS?

O’Hare Becomes An Intergalatic Airport

[quote]
CHICAGO (AP) — Federal officials say it was probably just some weird weather phenomenon, but a group of United Airline employees swear they saw a mysterious, saucer-shaped craft hovering over O’Hare Airport last fall.
The workers, some of them pilots, said the object didn’t have lights and hovered over an airport terminal before shooting up through the clouds, according to a report in Monday’s Chicago Tribune.

The Federal Aviation Administration acknowledged that a United supervisor had called the control tower at O’Hare, asking if anyone had spotted a spinning disc-shaped object. But the controllers didn’t see anything, and a preliminary check of radar found nothing out of the ordinary, FAA spokeswoman Elizabeth Isham Cory said.

“Our theory on this is that it was a weather phenomenon,” Cory said. “That night was a perfect atmospheric condition in terms of low (cloud) ceiling and a lot of airport lights. When the lights shine up into the clouds, sometimes you can see funny things.”

The FAA is not investigating, Cory said.

United spokeswoman Megan McCarthy said company officials don’t recall discussing any such incident from Nov. 7.

At least one O’Hare controller, union official Craig Burzych, was amused by it all.

“To fly 7 million light years to O’Hare and then have to turn around and go home because your gate was occupied is simply unacceptable,” he said.[/quote]

I think if she is called dragonbabe then you should be called dragondude.

As you are dragonbones she should be dragonsinew or dragonflesh, something like that. ‘babe’ is derrogatory.

Just saying is all.

Ever see that episode of The Simpsons in which Bart discovered a comet…

So who’s got a bunker we can hide in and play “guess the farm animal sound” games?

Hard to say, because she was on a moving vehicle and was getting glimpses of it between buildings, or something like that. :idunno: But if it were a comet it would be in the news, and I think it was too near, too big (same thing) and too rocket-like to be a comet.

Dragondude? I’m not cool enough to be a dude. I’m definitely more like ‘bones’. Except too fleshy. :stuck_out_tongue:

Comets aren’t made of fire. Meteorites are though.

I read a book where a meteorite fell to earth and a woman found it and kept it for luck. Then she got cancer because it was so radioactive.

Firework?

That’s my guess.

A fair guess, too. Musta been a big one, though, from her description. :stuck_out_tongue:

I saw something about two weeks ago too. It looked like a straight white line, and then it faded/disappeared. Don’t you know what those are? They’re cat spirits. If you had spent more time reading those dragonbones of yours, you probably would have found a reference or two to them already. :slight_smile:

[quote=“twonavels”]I saw something about two weeks ago too. It looked like a straight white line, and then it faded/disappeared. Don’t you know what those are? They’re cat spirits. If you had spent more time reading those dragonbones of yours, you probably would have found a reference or two to them already. :slight_smile:[/quote]That soulds like part of the Quadrantids meteor shower which peaked on January 4th. No idea what Dragonbabe saw though.

It’s funny you mention this, because a month or so ago on my way home from a shoot at around 4:30am on Fu Yuan Sreet, I saw a very large military convey, about 14 trucks, some very long carrying what I could only imagine being missiles, there were also 2 tanks and they were heading for the national airport or the military base right next to it.
That made me think a lot that day. Is something going on?

Well, the ROC does develop and test missiles, and is thought to be working on one or two capable of reaching Shanghai, so what better day to test fire one than on the same day the name changes occurred, to send a message of strength? But I would have expected it to make the news if the missile’s flight was so visible from Taipei. :idunno:

I’ll tell you what springs to mind reading this thread title.

Since I was a kid I’ve always called ‘builder’s cleavage’ or ‘plumbers crack’ such n such’s “comet”.

eg. if Stu was bending over in shorts that were half way down his arse, I would say “Hey everyone, check out Stu’s comet”

Just sayin’, that’s all.

[quote=“Truant”]I’ll tell you what springs to mind reading this thread title.

Since I was a kid I’ve always called ‘builder’s cleavage’ or ‘plumbers crack’ such n such’s “comet”.

eg. if Stu was bending over in shorts that were half way down his arse, I would say “Hey everyone, check out Stu’s comet”

Just sayin’, that’s all.[/quote]

Well, that would go well with my pocket rocket I suppose.

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“Truant”]I’ll tell you what springs to mind reading this thread title.

Just sayin’, that’s all.[/quote]

Well, that would go well with my pocket rocket I suppose.[/quote]
What, Dragonbabe’s comet?

:moon: