Driving advice for returning overseas Chinese/taiwanese who left Taiwan back in 1980s?

I see that many forums on Forumosa regarding driving cars and motorcycles are generally aimed at real foreigners who drive or ride in Taiwan. Though there are the groups of Overseas Chinese or Taiwanese who left Taiwan a few decades ago who occassionally returns to Taiwan for work or holiday and staying a few weeks here and there who would like to rent a car or motorcycle to head to places off the beaten path where public transport and taxis are rare. Though they may have questions as in addition to getting re-accustomed to driving in Taiwan after driving overseas for years. Their licenses from Taiwan have long expired and they might have trouble even finding it and they hold only licenses from their other country of residence. There are also many changes to driving and riding culture over the years both in terms of legislated regulations and changes in locals driving culture over the years. Driving in Taiwan today is very different from driving or riding in Taiwan back in the 1980s when the traffic in Taiwan was pretty similar to Mainland China today. Those who emigrated from Taiwan back in the 1980s who comes back today may be shocked at the changes to Taiwan since then. Obviously If one would to drive in Taiwan today in the same driving manner they did back in the 1980s today in Taiwan they are likely to make a lot of enemies, get traffic tickets, get into an accident or worse.

Though the most important question is how can returning overseas Chinese/Taiwanese with household registration and ID legally drive in Taiwan?
Few scenarios

1. They held a old Taiwan license but it has long been expired even if they can find it. In this case are they allowed to drive immediately for up to 30 days with their overseas license with an IDP of necessary just like a foreign visitor? or do they need to head down to the DMV immediately to renew their Taiwan license before they could take the wheel.

2. What is the procedure for overseas Chinese/Taiwanese never held a Taiwan license in the past and who hold overseas license and never held a Taiwan license in the past? In this case can they drive or rent a car with an overseas license with an International drivers permit? If so do they need to get the foreign/International license approved at a local DMV before they can drive or rent a car/motorcycle(given they have the proper motorcycle endorsement on their foreign license)?

I know usually in most countries or states and provinces within countries only foreign visitors or non residents can drive with a foreign license. I am unable to find the proper regulations for this in Taiwan though I guess it is the case too. Though for Returning overseas Chinese/Taiwanese with an ID number(legally national residents) it can be puzzling whether it would be feasible for them to rent a car or bike or is it not worth the hassle.

I can’t help you with your first question but I know of at least one overseas Taiwanese who has used a UK driving license and IDP to hire a car in Taiwan, and as far as I’m aware its the same regulations i.e. valid for 30 days after which you need to go to the local motor vehicle office to get a Taiwanese driving permit valid for one year only.

You can get more info here: thb.gov.tw/sites/ch/ the regulations depend on where your license was issued, and I would not rely too heavily on Taiwanese government websites to be up to date. It’s best to go in person.

BTW, driving standards here are just as bad as China, so expect the worst and you’ll be ok.

If you own a license that Taiwan’s equivalent of DMV recognizes, then you could simply convert it into a Taiwanese license. That’s what I did.

You should first look at one of the pdfs at this website:
thb.gov.tw/sites/ch/modules/ … 1db78a5b18

and see if your license is recognized. If you own a US license, please note not all states’ licenses are recognized.

If you read Chinese, follow the instructions of these blogs:
carolyang.blogspot.tw/2010/10/blog-post.html
sonax2k.com/php/wordpress/?p=912

Usually people who are certifying your foreign driver’s license would inform you if your license can be converted into a local license.

As for getting acclimated to driving in Taiwan again… you just have to do it. When it’s just all cars, do what you would do normally (except for turning on red). When there are a bunch of motorcycles, just pay your attention to not hitting anything in front of you and don’t get stressed about motorcycles on your sides. When you need to switch lanes or turn, signal first, and make sure no one is in your blind spot or trying to overtake you, then all you could do is gradually complete the turn or lane-switching without sudden decreases to your forward velocity. At that point it’s up to the people behind you to not run into you.

Imagine it a bit like walking in a crowded hallway.

[quote=“hansioux”]
As for getting acclimated to driving in Taiwan again… you just have to do it. When it’s just all cars, do what you would do normally (except for turning on red). When there are a bunch of motorcycles, just pay your attention to not hitting anything in front of you and don’t get stressed about motorcycles on your sides. When you need to switch lanes or turn, signal first, and make sure no one is in your blind spot or trying to overtake you, then all you could do is gradually complete the turn or lane-switching without sudden decreases to your forward velocity. At that point it’s up to the people behind you to not run into you.

Imagine it a bit like walking in a crowded hallway.[/quote]

This is really great advice. A lot of people fear getting on the roads because of all the scooters/motorcycles wizzing around. To be quite honest, most of them will be aware that you’re changing directions and just pass you. I’ll add a little to hansioux’s advice and say to refrain from making sudden movements and to slowly change directions (change lanes or right turns). There’s bound to be a scooter/motorcycle in your blind spot.

Never make sudden turns. Drive confidently and telegraph your moves in advance by using indicator and firm movement in desired direction. Watch out for people overtaking on the right on the highway. always imagine there is a scooter behind you. Don’t be first out of lights or last thru lights.

Drive confidently and defensively and you’ll be fine!

Thanks all of you for good advice. Sorry for the late response as I waited for a few weeks and thought no one would reply and eventually stopped following it. My license is from California. I am not really looking for replacing the license with Taiwan license, just whether it lets me drive temporarily in Taiwan with it and International drivers permit which I got from the AAA in CA as I would not stay longer than 30 days in a row in Taiwan. I asked this question as my cousin who lives in Taiwan states that car and motorcycle license from foreign countries including the IDP needs to be verified before driving or renting a car/motorcycle in Taiwan. Though from data I can find online I thought it only applies to those staying longer than 30 days after landing in Taiwan.

I do know some parts of the world only non-residents can drive with a foreign license. I don’t know if this is also the case in Taiwan. I would wary whether having a household registration in Taiwan would make me a Taiwan resident in which I am no longer allowed to use a license from outside Taiwan.

While its true that one still have to get accustomed again to driving/riding beside lots of motorcycles and transversing totally uncontrolled intersections that has no traffic signals/signs I notice people in Taiwan are now much more civilized, forgiving, and respect getting in line rather than pushing their way and cutting compared to back in the 1980s, many roads also have designated motorcycle lanes/box that are actually complied with. The widespread horn abuse back in the 1980s is also a thing of the past. Therefore when I visit cities in China particularly Nanjing nowadays it reminds me of Taipei back in 1990 before people paid attention to all those civility campaigns.