Driving in Japan with Taiwanese driving license?

I’m flying to Tokyo in April for 4 days for a little city trip. One day I’d like to drive around the more rural areas near the city with a rental car as I usually do to get a better more diverse impression of city and country.
Question: I heard that holders of a Taiwanese driving license need a Japanese translation, which has to be obtained from the Japanese Automobile Club. Further reading revealed that those translations can only be obtained personally in one of their offices and issuing the translation can take up to 2 weeks.
Similar regulations apply for holders of driving licenses from other countries with some exception where the translation can be obtained from the respective embassy in Japan.

Can it really be that complicated to just rent a car in Japan? I have been traveling a lot but I have never found a country that puts so much bureaucracy ahead of renting a car making it virtually impossible for the average tourist to discover their country off the beaten track (with little time to spend).

Take your Taiwan DL to your local DMV and they’ll print one out for 100 NT$. Takes five minutes.

[quote=“sushi171”]I’m flying to Tokyo in April for 4 days for a little city trip. One day I’d like to drive around the more rural areas near the city with a rental car as I usually do to get a better more diverse impression of city and country.
Question: I heard that holders of a Taiwanese driving license need a Japanese translation, which has to be obtained from the Japanese Automobile Club. Further reading revealed that those translations can only be obtained personally in one of their offices and issuing the translation can take up to 2 weeks.
Similar regulations apply for holders of driving licenses from other countries with some exception where the translation can be obtained from the respective embassy in Japan.

Can it really be that complicated to just rent a car in Japan? I have been traveling a lot but I have never found a country that puts so much bureaucracy ahead of renting a car making it virtually impossible for the average tourist to discover their country off the beaten track (with little time to spend).[/quote]

You’re right:

[quote]From October 1, 2008 Mutual recognition has implemented. Holders
of Taiwan/Japan valid DDL and a translation copy can convert to the other country’s DL
without test. [/quote]

But it doesn’t mention how and where, so wookiee’s post could be right. Call them to be sure.

Should be the same as when you apply for an IDL in Taiwan, but which you can NOT use in Japan.

Isn’t the IDL just a translated version? I don’t have mine handy, but I know it has a few different languages included plus the information from the regular Taiwan license.

The “convert” to Japanese license shouldn’t really apply as your not converting.

They only recognize/accept IDL from certain countries–Taiwan and Canada among those excluded.
Seriously, it’s easy to get the Japanese translation.

Thank you for this info!
I just went to DMV Shilin (opposite the Science Museum and new Childrean Recreation Park) and I received it for 100NTD in less than 5 minutes. It can be obtained from the drivers license counters in the 2nd floor and needs to bring nothing more than the ARC and Taiwan Drivers License. Japanese translation is valid for a year.

I’m amazed. This is one of the rare occasions where being a expat in Taiwan makes life easier in terms of bureaucracy. Getting the same for my EU permit would have cost me between 30-50 EUR plus a few weeks of “processing”.

1 Like

Thank you for this info!
I just went to DMV Shilin (opposite the Science Museum and new Childrean Recreation Park) and I received it for 100NTD in less than 5 minutes. It can be obtained from the drivers license counters in the 2nd floor and needs to bring nothing more than the ARC and Taiwan Drivers License. Japanese translation is valid for a year.

I’m amazed. This is one of the rare occasions where being a expat in Taiwan makes life easier in terms of bureaucracy. Getting the same for my EU permit would have cost me between 30-50 EUR plus a few weeks of “processing”.[/quote]

You’re welcome. It is that easy. And it’s good for 7 years, too.

But it is not helping you with driving on the “wrong” side of the road. Be careful, especially when leaving a parking lot, etc. :sunglasses:

According to the link below you CAN use an International DL in Japan, or if you are staying longer, get a Japanese DL on the same day.

japan-guide.com/e/e2022.html

short term without residency: use an official translation of a Taiwan drivers license, IDP not accepted from Taiwan, Japan license not possible without ARC

Yes, you can get a Japanese drivers license easily with a Taiwan license, but only if you live here (ARC).

Yesterday I went to the DMV here in Taoyuan to get a Japanese translation of my Taiwanese license, and yes, it’s still just as easy as mentioned. It literally took two minutes and cost NT$100.

I might add that Japan (at least my experience in Okinawa) is strict about licenses and renting cars and scooters. I have an American (California) car driver’s license, an International DL issued by AAA, and a Taiwanese scooter license. None of the rental places were willing to rent a scooter to me because my US license is for cars only… The shops do check, even on tiny Ishigaki and Yonaguni islands (I was able to rent cars, though, no problem). I couldn’t use my Taiwanese scooter license either without an official Japanese translation. So today I’m going back to Okinawa and should be able to rent a scooter this time :smile: