Driving Licenses in Taiwan for Foreigners

I would like to know if anyone can help.
I am a UK guy married to a Taiwan girl, and want to know if I can simply change my UK d/l for a Taiwan d/l.Many Thanks

In principle yes. I will try to find some links to you later. You will need a lot of papers translated, but it’s entirely possible - I did it.

No. The most of Europe decided for safety reasons that drivers should have taken a proper driving test (ie, not a Taiwanese one). Taiwan in return decided for political reasons not to accept those countries’ driving licences.

Mr He: You had a UK driving licence ?

Ugly Chinglish WebsiteHERE

I don’t know about UK but I know for sure that you can do so if you have a US driver license. (for those of you who might need this info) Simply go to a hospital to have a health check-up, which is very simple. All they do is measure your weight, height, eyes (to make sure you can read and are not color-blind) Pay a little fee and bring that paper work to

After July 2002, this is only valid if the state that issued your drivers license in the US allows Taiwanese to exchange for their license. If the state in question does not allow this, then Taiwan will not allow it for that state either.

If you can’t exchange a UK license, and don’t want or have time to take the written and driving tests in Taiwan, and you go back to the UK at least once a year, you can just do what I do and get an international license. They’re valid for one year, and are valid in Taiwan for the term of the International license if you take it to the DMV and have it validated and stamped. If it’s not validated and stamped, it’s only good for 2 weeks in Taiwan.

Since I go home at least once or twice a year, this has worked for me so far.

[quote=“Ben”]After July 2002, this is only valid if the state that issued your drivers license in the US allows Taiwanese to exchange for their license. If the state in question does not allow this, then Taiwan will not allow it for that state either.[/quote]According to this thread only two states do. and in case I didn’t make myself clear before:

UK LICENCES CANNOT BE EXCHANGED FOR TAIWAN LICENCES

For Europeans, an international drivers license is needed. I lucked out. They accidentally wrote 2008 for the expiry date on mine…Good for 5 more years…Usually they are only good for one year. I don’t think the cops here will make that distinction.

Well, I got my license in 2001, so things have changed. Too bad, go with the international one and get it stamped. The Danish trade office issues intl licenses, I don’t know about BTCO.

My license is Danish.

Why go through all of this nonsense, just take the local test, it requires a total of about a day in time, is very simple and afterwards you get a renewable licence like a local.

Like a local… I object because this is simply not true. A local would get a 6 year licence without any trouble at all and we foreign types will get a renewable licence valid for the length of our ARC. :smile:

But who wants to be like a local driver anyway? :wink:

Sorry, this is wrong.
Only two states allow you to make a straight swap. I can’t remember which they are, Idaho and something, maybe.
There are gobs of other posts on this.
Taipei DMV

You can launch an administrative appeal. I got a 6-year licence by doing so.

I even think that I faxed it to you once.

I exchange the International license for a driving “visa”. You can order the international permit via mail. Go to the AA website and print off the form. Takes about 2 weeks. Once you get it you can change it immediately. Problem is that it is valid for only one year.

I do not want to take the local test. It sounds like a drag.

there’s a pretty funny site i read by a guy here in taipei about going through the license procedure here, and a link to the written test there as well i think.

i think you need an international driver’s license or have to go through a bunch of crap.

A drag? As in drag racing?? I have never heard that the test involves drag racing!!

I always drive slowly, so taking a test which involves drag racing would be a big challenge for me . . . . .

Although I sometimes believe that drivers licenses must come with the instant noodle packages (judging from the way the locals drive), it is much better to have a local license. The police will know where to send the fines, for instance, and it means less paperwork to fine you, so they are less likely to let you off the hook.

Does anyone know if we can continue to use an IDL/P year on year? I am from the Uk. Can i get my IDP, get it stamped then renew and do it again next year? I heard you can only do this once. Anyone know? I have taken the loval deiving test twice - passed written - but the damn parking gets me every time - hard to book at same place so every time the course is different and different car and it’s just a nightmare i would prefer to avoid. So the ifp route is tempting as i have a uk license. But would i still need to take the taiwan test soonr or later?

If yea then probably only way it to pay the private school to do their teat on a track and car I am used fo - likely can pass that fine.

Based on https://tpcmv.thb.gov.tw/english/ServicesEng/LicenseEng/ManagementEng/ManagementEng01.htm , although it obviously contradicts itself;

Not sure if what’s written on their website constitutes the “law” but it’s what they referred to when I got my 5th IDP stamped recently stating this would be “the last time” as I had an APRC.

Instead of rocking up to the test centre to do the test you can get lessons from a local driving school that way you’re using the same car and will be using the driving centres own track for the test so you will be fully familiar with it.